Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for big hosts with some power!

ZRTMWA

I believe some LED flashlights use drivers that run at much higher mA, but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure if they're adjustable though. Did you see the orange 622nm diodes heruursciences is selling?

http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/red-808nm-1-5-watt-laser-diodes-more-cheap-39834.html

I'm not sure if he has sold out of them yet but he was offering a 125mw for $250, a 300mw for $750, or a 500mW+ for $1200 or make him an offer on the 500mW.

Yeah, saw those diodes ZRTMWA, thanks

They are from the same source, so same specs and all the problems that go with them. The 622nm operates at 5 degrees C, has a typical operating current of 1250mA, and a threshold of 750mA (the diode I mentioned above).

The specs can be found here:
Multimode Single Emitter Diode Lasers

As I said above though, I'm not sure about multi-mode diodes....

Thanks for the tip on the LED drivers also!

jayrob

It's going to be a high powered orange laser. somewhere around 632nm is what were shooting for.

We basicly need a host capable of fitting a MEREDITH module "the diode will be 9mm im sure" and needs to be able to fit enough batts in it. such as a CREE c3 with an extension barrell or two. the voltage isnt so much the issue, its the current.

And he knows the host doesnt supply power, he was just asking if anyone knew of a host capable of housing a large power source. this diode will most likely need at LEAST 1500mA.

So a DDL driver may be our only driver choice, unless a rckstr could handle it, but i dont know.. a rkcstr is just an SMT LM317 i do believe (BUT im not sure)! so correct me if im wrong.

we may need a host that can fit an LM317 with a small heatsink on the transistor.

Any thoughts anyone?

And yes I have spoken to Jayrob,

Tyler - Dark Lasers

For a DDL driver to give that much current, you would need about a 3 watt resistor. (2.25 watts will allow 1.8 amps of current with the LM317)

A .7 ohm resistor with the LM317 should be about 1785mA's.

If that diode is only taking 2 volts or so, you can just use a version 4 FlexDrive to get up to 1.5 amps!

Better be at least an 18650 I would think... Never tried it, but it should work.

Dr. Lava recommends a heatsink on one of the chips for the higher current settigns:

" Maximum current limitations for full input voltage range:
The Micro FlexDrive is built using the latest technology and is designed to have a very wide range of output
currents and voltages. However not every combination of input voltage, output voltage and output current is
useable. For example a 5V load cannot be powered at 1 Amp with an input voltage ov 2.0V.

Here are the recommended output current ranges for the full 2.0-5.5V input range per output voltage:
75-400mA buck/boost 5V out
75-800mA buck/boost 3V out
75mA-1.5A 2.0V out with 4.2-3.0V in (li-ion)

A good rule of thumb is that: (Vout (Volts) * Iout (Amps) ) / Vin (Volts) < 1.2

For powering high current (>500mA) 1.8V diodes, a series shottky rectifier is required so that the output voltage is
2.2V or greater. When powering loads above 500 mA and below 3V, a heatsink on the black 5-pin chip on the back
of the driver is required. An electrically insulating thermal epoxy to the heatsink or casing is recommended."

Last edited:

jnrpop

I have the same diode, but plan to have it in a lab style with active cooling, and it is possible to have it collimated into a usable beam, check out hercs ebay site and his selling a few optics that collimate MM diodes well, i have a few!
Not so sure its 9mm though, think its more in a BIG c-mount style heatsink fomat, and to get the 618nm lasing wavelength, it has to be cooled to around -30*C, not possible in a pointer style unless you invest alot of money into it!!!

HIMNL9

If i can suggest you a thing, for currents at the limit of the regulator, use two of them in parallel (LM317) ..... but, is important, try to get two from the same lot of production, so the characteristics are the more identical possible, included the tolerance shifts, and they does not interfer one with the other (using components from different lots of productions, that can have opposite tolerance shifting, and they don't work good in direct paralleled configuration)

The lot of production, same as country of production, is usually indicated from the other numbers on the component, the ones under or around the "LM317" mark ..... if you get two that have the same, identical numbers and letters, you're ok.

Using them in direct parallel, keep all the connections shortest as possible, do very good soldering, and still use heatsink (you don't need to insulate the regulators one from the other, cause tabs are in common, but you still need to insulate them from case, if the case is connected to power)

Anyway, i've tried on-the-fly for check if it work, before post, but only with 2 in parallel, cause i have only 2 of the same production lot, all the others are different and not risked ..... so i cannot say if 3 or more can work in the same way ..... with two, and a 0,56 ohm constantane resistor, it feeded a car lamp at 2,2 A for 10 minutes, becoming hot, but not "egg-cooking" hot :p, where instead, with a single one, it was going in protection in few seconds, with the same resistor (i suspect i burned the single one, at the end, anyway was a second-hand one, so no problems :p).

Attachments

• 2lm317.jpg
    2lm317.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
For a DDL driver to give that much current, you would need about a 3 watt resistor. (2.25 watts will allow 1.8 amps of current with the LM317)

A .7 ohm resistor with the LM317 should be about 1785mA's.

If that diode is only taking 2 volts or so, you can just use a version 4 FlexDrive to get up to 1.5 amps!

Better be at least an 18650 I would think... Never tried it, but it should work.

Dr. Lava recommends a heatsink on one of the chips for the higher current settigns:

" Maximum current limitations for full input voltage range:
The Micro FlexDrive is built using the latest technology and is designed to have a very wide range of output
currents and voltages. However not every combination of input voltage, output voltage and output current is
useable. For example a 5V load cannot be powered at 1 Amp with an input voltage ov 2.0V.

Here are the recommended output current ranges for the full 2.0-5.5V input range per output voltage:
75-400mA buck/boost 5V out
75-800mA buck/boost 3V out
75mA-1.5A 2.0V out with 4.2-3.0V in (li-ion)

A good rule of thumb is that: (Vout (Volts) * Iout (Amps) ) / Vin (Volts) < 1.2

For powering high current (>500mA) 1.8V diodes, a series shottky rectifier is required so that the output voltage is
2.2V or greater. When powering loads above 500 mA and below 3V, a heatsink on the black 5-pin chip on the back
of the driver is required. An electrically insulating thermal epoxy to the heatsink or casing is recommended."

Thanks for all that info jayrob!

I have the same diode, but plan to have it in a lab style with active cooling, and it is possible to have it collimated into a usable beam, check out hercs ebay site and his selling a few optics that collimate MM diodes well, i have a few!
Not so sure its 9mm though, think its more in a BIG c-mount style heatsink fomat, and to get the 618nm lasing wavelength, it has to be cooled to around -30*C, not possible in a pointer style unless you invest alot of money into it!!!

Do you mean the 622nm diode? That's a crazy diode! Like you say though, we had to decide against it and take the next one up because of the cooling required.

I don't suppose anyone could explain what MM means to us in terms of performance/beam quality? What would be the main difference between MM and SM? Is it only a question of getting the right optics?

I think Jayrob nailed it, and pyro's host could work.

is that boat floatin for you Leo?

Tyler

Pryo does awsome work. i've seen it. he's got skillz on the Lathe if ya know what i mean ;)

I reccomend it. it will most certanly not be of low quality by any means. just make sure the module isnt going to stick out "ask him" cuz i know he designs some of his heatsinks to accept the entire aixiz module.

OH!!! and theres a NEW product hitting my store shelves in a week or so called the "COPPER HEAD"!!....

Anyone care to take a guess at what it might be :D

hint: it will help cool this project, and almost ALL other's allot better.

Tyler - Dark Lasers

Just a stab in the dark (pun not intended lol), but is it a copper heatsink (for lasers)? :D

Either that or a TEC...

I don't suppose anyone could also help choosing the optics for this diode/build?

What options/sources are there for multi-mode diode optics apart from hercs (not an option for us)?