Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for beginner laser

pilot.reaux

I'm new to the whole laser thing and was looking for a 650nm laser around the 50mw mark or something that is good for a beginner like me that could also possible pop a balloon or something like that. What's a good company for a beginner laser?

A 50 mW laser is not powerful enough to pop even a black balloon. Not sure any longer what the minimum power need is to do that. Probably somewhere around 500 mW. There are several reputable sources to buy from. Many here swear by Sanwu.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Balloons, black balloons in particular are easy to pop with lasers. <50mW can pop a balloon. As with anything its about physics. Here's a 13 year old video. DPSS Greens have good beam profiles so have a good intensity. If you tried with a poor quality diode then you would need a bit more power. But Class IV is overkill for just popping a balloon.

pilot.reaux

Balloons, black balloons in particular are easy to pop with lasers. <50mW can pop a balloon. As with anything its about physics. Here's a 13 year old video. DPSS Greens have good beam profiles so have a good intensity. If you tried with a poor quality diode then you would need a bit more power. But Class IV is overkill for just popping a balloon.
And what company would you recommend I get one with that power from?

Seems like to burn anything with a 50 mW laser it needs to be focused at a very short distance of a few inches to accomplish this.