Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

looking for an affordable IR laser.

Mannitu78

Hello guys,
im looking for a christmas present, i know a buddy of me would like an invisible laserbeam, its pretty much the only laser he would really be interested in. I was hoping i would find something prebuild in the range of 30-50eu and i did, there are 2 sellers on ebay.de. Im totally ok with chinese lasers.

But they only range up to 200mw, at least the sellers are honest, he even told me the actual output is only 160-170 watts which is the result of the cheap lens i guess.

However i was hoping to get at least something like 500mw, that can burn or ignite something on 1-2 m distance. Its not like the 500mw diodes are very expensive on Ali or ebay.

Does anybody have an idea maybe or knows a seller?

What fun is an invisible beam ? Being able to see the beam is at least half the fun......unless your buddy doesn't want to be seen doing something which begs the question as to why your buddy doesn't want to be seen ????

Remember just because our eyes can't see ir doesn't mean your buddy won't be seen, security cameras can, hell they live on it at night and they are freaking everywhere today connected to digital recorders.

Also invisible beams are a real hazard, any laser emitting an invisible beam needs to have an on indicator light, an aperture shutter, a keyed switch, a 3 second delayed start and a safety dongle as per the regulations and for your safety.

Gee how hard was that to figure out.....with the advertisement literally at the top of the page lol
Makes you wonder why people ask these questions......are they trolling ? Alphabet boy looking for a cookie ?

julianthedragon

Piggybacking off what Red said, you 100% still need proper goggles just like it was a visible laser too. Should be obvious, but I wouldn’t count on it.

In addition an invisible beam can have unpredictable behavior, i.e. you don’t know what materials will absorb/reflect/pass the light just by looking at them, since we can’t see the part of the light spectrum the laser is in. You could get an IR camera or night vision but that’s at least a car payment.

Your blink reflex won’t kick in either, and if the laser bounces around the room into your eye ya won’t know til it’s too late unfortunately

Mannitu78

Jetlasers sells IR pointers with powers up to 2500mw.
theyre a little over my budget.

Maybe i will build one. Found a 1w To9 for 15 dollar on Ali. They also have C-Mount/TO3 up to 5 watt...but ive never seen these in a handheld/modul?

Sure, build your own or do a basic search, look I did a basic search and found this >
Make sure you wear the appropriate laser safety glasses to attenuate the wavelength you will be working with, otherwise you risk life long vision disability that can occur in a moment without warning, mistakes happen so be prepared.

https://biglasers.com/products/infrared-laser-pointers/

Last edited:

kecked

Get a used co2 laser tube and supply. Mount in backpack and go get arrested.

Mannitu78

Get a used co2 laser tube and supply. Mount in backpack and go get arrested.
you got these decorative garden dwarfs, right? Shouldnt you be out polishing them right now? Its sunday? And use the oppurtunity to measure the neighbours twigs, they might be hanging an inch into your property.