Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for advice on safe laser for jobsite

I've come to the conclusion I need to get a laser pointer for work. Pointing up above 20 - 30 feet makes it hard to show a coworker what exactly I'm pointing at.

While looking around on this forum at others suggestions for lasers I feel my application is different and would rather ask before I buy so no one gets hurt at work. I will be using a laser on objects that range from wood, metal and concrete that would be 20-30 feet away and maybe stretching it out to 50 feet. I would mostly be indoor using this.

My concern is I see a lot of suggestions for Sanwu 304 lasers. When I look at the specs and info I see they can burn stuff to a degree. So in my work environment would a 100mw bee too much? What output would you guys suggest I look for to stay safe?

Thanks in advance
Mike

I've come to the conclusion I need to get a laser pointer for work. Pointing up above 20 - 30 feet makes it hard to show a coworker what exactly I'm pointing at.

While looking around on this forum at others suggestions for lasers I feel my application is different and would rather ask before I buy so no one gets hurt at work. I will be using a laser on objects that range from wood, metal and concrete that would be 20-30 feet away and maybe stretching it out to 50 feet. I would mostly be indoor using this.

My concern is I see a lot of suggestions for Sanwu 304 lasers. When I look at the specs and info I see they can burn stuff to a degree. So in my work environment would a 100mw bee too much? What output would you guys suggest I look for to stay safe?

Thanks in advance
Mike

A 5mW green 532 nm would be sufficient. In a work environment you should avoid any oportunity to cause someone eye damage.Optotronics carries such lasers.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
For work use, <5mW lasers are essential (Class 3R). If high visibility is necessary then lasers in the green part of the spectrum are what you need. Like Steve has pointed out a 5mW 532nm is your best bet.

Reactions: GSS

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You're welcome Mike. Just a word of caution, don't go on eBay or any chinese sites and buy cheap '5mW' lasers. They exceed 5mW, sometimes quite considerably. Optotronics is one example of genuine Class 3R lasers. Not the cheapest company in the world but they do guarantee their products.

Encap

If you are not the owner of the business you better check with the owners if they will allow laser use at work for your purposes.
It is a matter of insurance and occupational safety laws and other liability considerations--not just a daydream of "gee wiz boys and girls a laser would be fun and useful at work."
Workers have a right to a safe workplace. The law requires employers to provide their employees with safe and healthful workplaces. It is a matter of Law and Regulations of the US Dept of Labor, Occupational Safety and Hlealth Administration.
See: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/laserhazards/

Agree with what others have said --if allowed pointers 5mW or less may be allowed --- pointers over 5mW in output are illegal to sell in USA per FDA Laws , Rules, and Regulations. Any laser with a higher output is a more serious eye hazard and require a number of things the business would have to do to have a safe workplace which would incur considerable time and expense and a LSO's (Laser Safety Officer) certification and approval.

Would guess approval in not just a matter of being too lazy to point out things in an ordinary way and imagining a laser would help--- actual need and lack of any other acceptable way would have to be demonstrated.

Also see: https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_6.html

Last edited:

Gazen

Make sure you check laws first. The sanwu 304 is overkill in this situation and unsafe, get a 5mW pointer. I'll link a few later.

Encap gave some good information above

Reactions: GSS
if you are *always* careful any Ebah $3 green pen pointer will be a good choice-- just be careful handing it over to ANYONE...these can be very dangerous--and unlike bullets.. beams reflect off a mirror (or any shiny surface)
I had to stop allowing anyone I did not know well to handle mine unless the batteries are removed...that way when they ask WHY.. you can tell them its the ONLY way a laser is safe..and then choose to allow or not.

your choice and your responsibility...
btw duty/rest cycle MUST be followed or overheat will cause death of your laser.

you can thank us by finishing your personal profile..mainly your location and date of birth.

Date of birth... not necessary....;)
Global Location.... Good idea.

Jerry

Last edited:
Defiantly don't bring anything more than a 5 mw greenie out on a commercial site. Osha will be on you like white on rice. I worked on many of such sites. You get into trouble just for having a transistor radio playing....no music allowed. A strong focusable flashlight with the green cat teaser in the middle should fit your need

There are many job sites where OSHA never visits for one reason or another. One being, I suppose, that there aren't enough OSHA reps or funding for their visiting, for instance, every weld shop, often. As such, most of the lower paying shops I've worked for have no safety standards: people under loads suspended by crane, no safety glasses or neighboring arc flash protection, and dog forbid I wear knee pads to get down on the concrete floor. :rolleyes:

That being said, my table mate loves lasers. He's obsessed with them, and they are pretty cool. For awhile, I was too, till I started thinking about how easy it would be to blind myself with one of those $100 50W pens they've started selling, recently. However, my question is, how dangerous can his lasers be in various uses? He often tries for the overhead crane across the building, to see how far it'll go without going outside. The crane is bright yellow. Also works to light stuff on fire at the table--small stuff like paper or burning lines in the foam padding of his $50 fire torch glasses.

His three pens are a 532 and a 405nm which state <5mW, and a 532nm which says 200mW. It's hard to see, but the two green ones shine both a green beam and a red one very close together. His wife forbids him from spending any real money, so he can't obtain any higher output, but is also probably buying cheaply made ones which might be exceeding what they say on the warning label, or somehow leaking infrared light. By how much can they exceed those "<5mW" and "200mW" statements? When he hits something close, I can almost feel my eyes burning, and raise my hand to block the light. (It's especially bad when the light hits the shiny metal work table before he has the beam on the glasses).

For that matter, does a <5mW laser which seems to burn things quickly just have a better focusing lens? His 200mW laser will burn also, and I think it also has an adjuster, but for 40 or more times the output, it doesn't seem as powerful.

Should I insist on being a stiff paint brush, and make him stop using them without warning me?

Thanks,
Josh

Encap

There are many job sites where OSHA never visits for one reason or another. One being, I suppose, that there aren't enough OSHA reps or funding for their visiting, for instance, every weld shop, often. As such, most of the lower paying shops I've worked for have no safety standards: people under loads suspended by crane, no safety glasses or neighboring arc flash protection, and dog forbid I wear knee pads to get down on the concrete floor. :rolleyes:

That being said, my table mate loves lasers. He's obsessed with them, and they are pretty cool. For awhile, I was too, till I started thinking about how easy it would be to blind myself with one of those $100 50W pens they've started selling, recently. However, my question is, how dangerous can his lasers be in various uses? He often tries for the overhead crane across the building, to see how far it'll go without going outside. The crane is bright yellow. Also works to light stuff on fire at the table--small stuff like paper or burning lines in the foam padding of his $50 fire torch glasses.

His three pens are a 532 and a 405nm which state <5mW, and a 532nm which says 200mW. It's hard to see, but the two green ones shine both a green beam and a red one very close together. His wife forbids him from spending any real money, so he can't obtain any higher output, but is also probably buying cheaply made ones which might be exceeding what they say on the warning label, or somehow leaking infrared light. By how much can they exceed those "<5mW" and "200mW" statements? When he hits something close, I can almost feel my eyes burning, and raise my hand to block the light. (It's especially bad when the light hits the shiny metal work table before he has the beam on the glasses).

For that matter, does a <5mW laser which seems to burn things quickly just have a better focusing lens? His 200mW laser will burn also, and I think it also has an adjuster, but for 40 or more times the output, it doesn't seem as powerful.

Should I insist on being a stiff paint brush, and make him stop using them without warning me?

Thanks,
Josh

They can all be dangerous to your eyes depending on actual circumstances see chart here: http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

Study this web site on safety: Laser Pointer Safety - A comprehensive resource, for safe and responsible laser use

Last edited:
^^^ you wrote:
For that matter, does a <5mW laser which seems to burn things quickly just have a better focusing lens? the lens does come into play AND unless you have a LPM you cannot know exactly the output

His 200mW laser will burn also, and I think it also has an adjuster, but for 40 or more times the output, it doesn't seem as powerful.

--I made the same error-- its NOT 40X--to double the preceived brightness you need to make 4X the mW;

most vets here have gotten a second nature about our eyes and safety. the odds against injury are lowered a lot by
1) never set up laser(s) at eye level and horizontal- This helps to avoid the most extreme danger due to our eye's own lens.

2) always be aware of shiny surfaces that can reflect the beam into anyone's eyes.

3) BUT your eye protection , in some operations MUST be used (and the correct glasses TOO) when doing measurements-like the beam sized- the mode (DOT)- the power (getting the laser on the sensor right,,-and when combining beams..or finding divergence.

4) lastly NEVER assume anyone else will be using a laser safely-- best to not share until you are completely certain the user will be safe at all times.:tsk:

hak

-

So when another guy tries to play laser war with the first guy I told you about using his little red key chain laser, but he can't tell at 75-100' that it's actually me standing there, there is probably no risk to damage. 52' for 4.99mW, 23' for .99. I didn't think I'd been injured, anyway.

Where can I get one of those LPM's?

Hak said:
--I made the same error-- its NOT 40X--to double the preceived brightness you need to make 4X the mW;

If we assume the warning labels are correct for a minute while discussing the math on this, and if the 200mW green laser has 40 times the electrical input and diode output rating, then with 40X being 10*4X (at double brightness) it's really only 20X as bright?

I'll just inform him to warn me to watch my eyes before he lights up.

Thank you.