Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a UV small laser

Hello! Tell me please if you know some laser modules or laser diodes with small dimensions (no more than iphone length). I hope you can also help me with sellers or resellers for these diodes or modules.
UV should be an UV-A (365 or less).
It is important for science project so that I need your helpful tips.
Thank you in advice!

Encap

There aren't any. You are SOL and not going to find anything in a laser diode or pointer @365nm or less.
So daydream up a possible science project or settle for using LEDs

Try LEDs maybe something like this would suit your purpose see: UVTOP: deep UV LED at 365nm or an LED flashlight @ 365nm like here: https://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-LED-Blacklight-Flashlight-7301uv365/dp/B004R831H0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367243174&sr=8-1&keywords=365nm+light

You can get a 70mW 375nm laser diode for $4,484 here: https://www.thorlabs.de/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=L375P70MLD and have someone make it into a pointer perhaps

PS would be a good idea to make a Welcome thread in the Welcome sub-forum to introduce yourself

Last edited:
Like what Encap was saying, you won't get any UV lasers in a small size without paying $$$$ or getting very lucky on eBay.
If it has to be a laser then you would have to settle for 405nm, N2 or air TEA, HeCd, tripled or quadrupled DPSS/YAG, etc.

More information about the science project would also help us give better advice.

Last edited:
Tnank you for quick answers! $ is not a problem. The project is a fluorescence spectrometer with effective distance approx 10 meters

Those 375nm diodes can be bought for ~$1000 AFAIK. At least I remember that having been posted here a few months ago.

Encap

Tnank you for quick answers! $ is not a problem. The project is a fluorescence spectrometer with effective distance approx 10 meters

You can get a CNI DPSS lab style laser in 360nm and several lower wavelengths see: Lasers, Laser Systems, Spectrometer, Power Meter | CNIlaser

Not cheap 10mW is about $6000 and up in price and output from there-see:https://www.ultralasers.com/lasers-series.php?cat=134

Maybe one of the US Distributors can do it for less see distributors here: Contact CNI

Benm

If you're aiming at something 10 meters away i'd consider getting a 355 nm tripled DPSS.

These are expensive and not that easy to find, but if your budget is large it should be possible to obtain one. Optical quality of those lasers is better than that of typical diode lasers, so you'll be able to focus it better at large distances and get a nice round dot instead of some line or blob pattern.

Since you want 365 nm or shorter diodes aren't really an option, those are not available reliably, and anything close to that is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Not that those triplid 355 units are cheap by any means, for a professional working unit expect to pay at least $5000, probably closer to $10.000 or more depending on what output power you want, and if you want fast pulse performance or continuous wave etc.

Getting a third harmonic 355nm laser will give you a nice Gaussian beam, too. If you are not in a great hurry, you might be able to pick one up on eBay for less than the several thousands people are quoting here. It will, of course, be a low power laser, but you shouldn't need that much power at 10 meters.

Beware: I ordered one of those UVLED365 diodes from Qphotonics last night.
The invoice stated $39.00 and NO shipping (0.00). Today, I noticed that my account was charged $56 so I called them. They tacked $17 shipping to the order without adding it to the invoice.
I canceled the order because of this scam AND I'm not paying $56 for a 400 micro watt light.
HM

Encap

Beware: I ordered one of those UVLED365 diodes from Qphotonics last night.
The invoice stated $39.00 and NO shipping (0.00). Today, I noticed that my account was charged $56 so I called them. They tacked $17 shipping to the order without adding it to the invoice.
I canceled the order because of this scam AND I'm not paying $56 for a 400 micro watt light.
HM

That beyond outrageous to charge youR card for $17 shipping which was not entered on the invoice nor were you told about + $17 is a silly high price for shipping to begin with-- small bubble envelope w 1 diode First Class Mail would only be a couple of dollars.

Did they try to give you any rational explanation?

Last edited:
I rarely have this kind of problem with purchases made on any of my credit cards online. I would have cancelled it too. Trying to sneak some more profit out of someone by adding it to the charge later is reprehensible. I will avoid ordering from Qphotonics from this point on as it is a sign of an untrustworthy business.

Last edited:
Encap --
No real explanation or offer to discount or correct.
POOP on them. I told him that I would check my bank
tomorrow. It better be cleared off.
I really want a 365 nM of something to "see" it but
this is a scam.
HM

Last edited:

Benm

Getting a third harmonic 355nm laser will give you a nice Gaussian beam, too. If you are not in a great hurry, you might be able to pick one up on eBay for less than the several thousands people are quoting here. It will, of course, be a low power laser, but you shouldn't need that much power at 10 meters.

You'd be lucky to find one though, especially one in guaranteed working condition.

Units do pop up for lower prices on ebay once in while, but those are often sold 'as is' with the stipulation that the unit powers up but no verification of actual laser operation or output power.

You could by all means get lucky when you buy one, but there is a chance something is broken just as well. It's like buying a car because the seller tells you the headlights come on when you turn the ignition key, but no idea if the engine starts or not. It's a gamble - either you get something great at a bargain, something that you can repair at reasonable cost, or just a complete turd.

is nobody going to mention a TEA nitrogen laser? 337.1nm wavelength, pulsed but you can probably turn up the pulse timing to get something quasi-CW out of it.
ive built a few, still have the parts for my latest one just sitting around but i havent gotten to rebuild it any nicer lately.
Styropyro made a video on them too, and if you look around online you will find tutorials everywhere for them. hell, you can even make them out of tinfoil and other household items! the only hard part is getting the HV power supply.

And yea i know these are kinda dangerous because of the power supply and other high voltage electrical black magic, but i figured if youre doing a science project that needs a UVA laser and you came to the forums i can only imagine youre not stupid enough to not know about it :)

(final note: these things are loud as hell!!! either enclose the spark gap or both the spark gap and the electrodes for your own ear's sake)

Last edited: