Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a solution of multiple laser beam from one pointer

gt2006

Dear all,

I am a newbie and need your help.

I am doing an experiment that projecting a laser beam to a flame which propagating in a tube. I am using device SYNRAD Firestar v20. It can only project a laser beam (beam diameter 2.5mm), but now I want to use a multiple parallel laser beam (diameter smaller than 2.5mm is ok). Does anyone have any method to modify my device or knows another laser pointer that can project a multiple laser beam?

Thank you very much for you attention and hope I can get some help.:thanks::thanks:

Last edited:

some pics would help

and... more info including what is missing in your profile-namely your general location--it really does help us to help you and we would appreciate it.

the parallel laser beam part may not be doable.... a 'star' type grating makes more beams but they would not be parallel ...

shine your laser on a DVD and you will see. Others here will offer help (can you plz make an 'intro' thread in our welcome section?)--best wishes AND PROTECT the EYES at ALL TIMES...hak

gt2006

Thank you very much for your reply @hakzaw1

Here is some spec of the pointer.
- 30VDC Input power
- Current Rating: 12A
- 2.5mm beam diameter
- 7.0mR beam divergence
- 10.57-10.63µm wavelength
- Linear (horizontal) polarization
- Air cooling
- 15.2" x 4.6" x 5.8" overall dimensions
- 20W of maximun laser power

Could you see that attachment to see the scheme of experiment set up? I would like to ask for the idea modifying the laser pointer or suggest a new pointer that I can use a parallel laser beams projecting to the flame in the tube. The pointer in the experimental set up is used with a single beam. But as you said parallel beam may be impossible :cryyy:

I am sorry but I can't get "make an 'intro' thread in our welcome section" because I didn't see what look like you said in that post. Sorry, just tell me what I should to do, thank a lot and cheers.

Attachments

• Experiment.png
    Experiment.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 61

Encap

Please make a Welcome post in the Welcome sub-forum telling something about yourself and indicate your location in your profile.
Make a Welcome thread/post here: https://laserpointerforums.com/f37/

What is it your are doing in more detail?
What do you want to see/do?
Why/what purpose?
A 20W 10,570nm to 10,630nm laser is not exactly a "pointer" :crackup:

Do you mean you want multiple 20W beams in a tube with a flame--how many beams - what size beam in in what size tube---in what configuration---need more details to consider what you are talking about.

Synrad v20 is a nice low power CO2 laser 20W usually used in marking equipment
V20 Firestar Series Compact Low Power CO2 Laser
30VDC Input power
Current Rating: 12A
<100µsec rise time
2.5mm beam diameter
<7.0mR beam divergence
10.57-10.63µm wavelength 10,570 nm to 10,630nm
Linear (horizontal) polarization
15.2" x 4.6" x 5.8" overall dimensions
Ideal for small cutting, marking applications

Edit: I see your diagram/ Do you have a diagram of what you want to do? What sized is the tube---what in maximum beam diameter you can use in multibeam set up.

Your diagram is same as in this 2013 paper
"Interaction between Propagation Speed and Flame Structure in Downward Cellular Propagating Flame in a Combustion Tube with CO2
Laser Irradiation" by Kira Aguilar,Yoshikazu Taniyama, Hiroyuki Ito, Osamu Fujita*
Hokkaido University,Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
See: http://www.icders.org/ICDERS2013/PapersICDERS2013/ICDERS2013-0132.pdf

Why don't you call one of the investigators and discuss it with them?? You can also email Osamu Fujita: ofujita@eng.hokudai.ac.jp

See this paper also Yoon, S. H. Effects of variation of the flame area and natural damping on acoustic instability http://www.icders.org/ICDERS2015/abstracts/ICDERS2015-153.pdf

Last edited:
I'm very curious about what you are attempting to accomplish here. It is certainly not obvious. And why a CO2 laser? That is in the far infrared region, way past visible light that glass is opaque to it. Your mirrors will not be regular mirrors as they are opaque to the far IR. Why are you doing this?

Encap

I'm very curious about what you are attempting to accomplish here. It is certainly not obvious. And why a CO2 laser? That is in the far infrared region, way past visible light that glass is opaque to it. Your mirrors will not be regular mirrors as they are opaque to the far IR. Why are you doing this?

If you scan or read the two papers I cited at the end of my post #4 above, you can gather and understand understand the what and why and by extension/extrapolation where /what gt2006 wants to go/investigate

Last edited:
Okay. I see what he's trying to do now. My other question is why? BTW, I did read both papers.

gt2006

Please make a Welcome post in the Welcome sub-forum telling something about yourself and indicate your location in your profile.
Make a Welcome thread/post here: https://laserpointerforums.com/f37/

What is it your are doing in more detail?
What do you want to see/do?
Why/what purpose?
A 20W 10,570nm to 10,630nm laser is not exactly a "pointer" :crackup:

Do you mean you want multiple 20W beams in a tube with a flame--how many beams - what size beam in in what size tube---in what configuration---need more details to consider what you are talking about.

Synrad v20 is a nice low power CO2 laser 20W usually used in marking equipment
V20 Firestar Series Compact Low Power CO2 Laser
30VDC Input power
Current Rating: 12A
<100µsec rise time
2.5mm beam diameter
<7.0mR beam divergence
10.57-10.63µm wavelength 10,570 nm to 10,630nm
Linear (horizontal) polarization
15.2" x 4.6" x 5.8" overall dimensions
Ideal for small cutting, marking applications

Edit: I see your diagram/ Do you have a diagram of what you want to do? What sized is the tube---what in maximum beam diameter you can use in multibeam set up.

Your diagram is same as in this 2013 paper
"Interaction between Propagation Speed and Flame Structure in Downward Cellular Propagating Flame in a Combustion Tube with CO2
Laser Irradiation" by Kira Aguilar,Yoshikazu Taniyama, Hiroyuki Ito, Osamu Fujita*
Hokkaido University,Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
See: http://www.icders.org/ICDERS2013/PapersICDERS2013/ICDERS2013-0132.pdf

Why don't you call one of the investigators and discuss it with them?? You can also email Osamu Fujita: ofujita@eng.hokudai.ac.jp

See this paper also Yoon, S. H. Effects of variation of the flame area and natural damping on acoustic instability http://www.icders.org/ICDERS2015/abstracts/ICDERS2015-153.pdf

Thank you very much your response. I am so sorry for this late response, I have busied for conducting experiment.

When you look in to the diagram I posted, I have 2 laser generator, one can project maximum 20W and another 60W of single laser beam. The purpose of the set up in the diagram is I want to see the effect of laser beam on the flame shape while flame is propagating in the tube (you can see in the paper you have attached, actually I am in the same lab with people in the paper). The experiment in that paper just use single laser beam (yellow line in the paper). Now I want to modify and/or looking for solution for the the laser generator in order to it can project multiple laser beams (more than 2 laser beams) in the same configuration of experimental set up. The size of the transparent acrylic tube is 50mm (inner diameter) or can be larger.

Summary, I am looking for a solution, somehow the single laser beam can be modified or divided to smaller (also smaller diameter and W) multiple laser beams.
I am waiting for your discussion.

gt2006

Thank you your question. We use the gas as mixture for combustion in the tube, so CO2 laser is not absorbed by burned gas, but unburnt gas does. So the flame is exposed by the laser beam only, from that we can investigate the effect of laser beam on flame.

I am looking for your reply and discussion. Thank you.

gt2006

Hi all,

I found some method:
- What if I use a diffraction grating to divide a laser beam to multiple beams. But whether the diffraction grating is comparable to the 20W or 60W laser beam.
- Another method is to use rotating mirrors coupled with synchronized pulses of the laser to split the beam into different directions.

How do you guy think about these methods? Thank you.

Hi,

there are devices called beam splitters (polarizing and non pol.) They split or combine laser beams. Then there are devices called mirrors. Two of them can overlapp two laser beams or orient them in an arbitrary orientation in general.

Use a combination to achieve your goal.

Singlemode

gt2006

Hi,

there are devices called beam splitters (polarizing and non pol.) They split or combine laser beams. Then there are devices called mirrors. Two of them can overlapp two laser beams or orient them in an arbitrary orientation in general.

Use a combination to achieve your goal.

Singlemode

Thank you for your suggestion. I will look into this method, but I have a quick inquire that is this combination can orient multiple laser beams paralleling within an area of 50mm tube and is this combination fine with 60W laser?
Thank you.

gt2006

Why you think it shouldn't? You allready have a mirror in your setup. Buy beam splitters that can handle the opical power.

I see. I am figuring out this method. And I see the beam splitter that split the single beam into 2 beams with around 90 degree direction of each other. You mentioned the mirror is for the purpose to get 2 parallel beams, didn't you?

You mentioned the mirror is for the purpose to get 2 parallel beams, didn't you?

A mirror has the purpose to reflect light. I hope you are aware of this, especially if you work with a a 20W laser and the picture of your setup shows one.

Can you please tell us what your background is please? For somebody who works in a lab with high power lasers your questions are very simple and you seem to have no idea what you should do.

Singlemode

Encap

Hi all,

I found some method:
- What if I use a diffraction grating to divide a laser beam to multiple beams. But whether the diffraction grating is comparable to the 20W or 60W laser beam.
- Another method is to use rotating mirrors coupled with synchronized pulses of the laser to split the beam into different directions.

How do you guy think about these methods? Thank you.

Did you speak with or contact Osamu Fujita?
He can at least point you in the correct direction.