Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a reasonably priced 5mW 445nm.

TomP

Are there any lower divergence/power 445nm diodes around for a reasonable price? I mostly see higher power diodes here and on other sites, since those appear to be all the rage. The best solution for the project would be a collimated module, but I would be happy with a bare diode as well.

A 5mW 445 is going to look very very dim - but you can get some nice single-mode diodes of this wavelength. I've got an Osram PLT450B which is nice running at around 100mW (but can be driven much much lower if needs be). Jordan (DTR) sells a similar diode in a 5.6mm package (Osram PLT5 450B).

TomP

That's a tad pricy, probably because the higher power rating. I'm definitely thinking about trying one out driven at const optical power. It's hard to compete with red laser diodes for visibility and price, but that's what happens really. I agree with the dim problem.

There is really no demand for a 445nm lower power diode. That is why they are expensive. You can get a 1.6 to 2+ watt much cheaper than the low power single mode diodes.

why do you need a 445 specifically? The best cost-to-beam specifications will be found with cheap 532nm DPSS modules, I'd have thought...

TomP

I'm looking to add color variety to a laser display. If there aren't any diodes being manufactured in this rough operating range, then it's no big deal. Currently the system uses 650nm and 532nm, because as you all know that is where the best price to performance for low power is found.

I'm not sure what you were trying to add to the discussion by saying OMG.

It's going to be a pretty invisible laser display if you use a 5mW module - You'll need a dark and hazy room to see even the faintest whiff of beam, but the dot will be visible just about. The low-power blue diodes aren't avaliable at low cost since there is not demand for large-volume manufacturing unlike the powerful blues, which are used in quantity for things like some DLP projectors. You're just not going to find a super-cheap 445 diode like you can with some 532nm and 650nm lasers unfortunately, but they are avaliable at slightly increased cost.

I'm not sure personally how to reconcile a brighter display with safety - you would likely want to ask a member with more display experience on how it's traditionally done in this way.

OMG
If you are presently not 'getting it' some day in the future you will.