Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a portable 16340 host for a 445nm

I'm looking for a host for my new build, I'll be using a 445nm M140 laser diode rated for 1.5W and an Aixiz module for 1.1W and 4.8V which is a bit under the M140 max rated AFAIK. So now I'm looking for the right host, I want it to be small and use a single 16340 battery, a laser 301/303 host is fine since you can take the extension off and use 16340s in it. My problem is the accessories, I don't know which ones come with what. I'd like a GD-303 or GD-301, I like the look of my GD-320 lasers but one of mine has an issue with the alignment of the diode to front of the host so I'm unsure if it's a fluke or not. Here's some hosts I've been looking at, any input is GREATLY appreciated!
Case Housing Host for Laser Torch Style Focusable GD 301 Type | eBay
Adjustable Focusable Housing Host Case for Laser Pointer Torch GD 320 Type | eBay
And as far as the GD-320 host goes, can I just order a laser that was built in one of the GD-320s and take it apart and replace the driver and diode? The already built ones aren't from China and are also $7 cheaper.

By unsure about the accessories like the one here has all those accessories shown but the others I linked above don't have that, does that mean they don't come with those accessories? I'd pick the BL-850, but it's an 18650 host and isn't my favorite look.

So, what are my options? Buy a built GD-320 and take it apart and replace the diode and driver, risk it with the GD-301/GD-303 and hope it comes with the needed accessories?

Hi,A..
To bad you bought the M140 but thats your preference . I myself love the PLTB450B diode much more efficient than the M140. To tell you the truth i don't even bother with the M140 anymore. The PLTB450B will get you 2500mW Its a 5.6mm case run it wth an boost drive from Lazeerer at 1.8A. Your host s heat sink should be beefy enough to dissipate the heat properly. Boost drive you run with one with ion cell ..Hope this helps your 16340 single cell won't run it very long but long enough..

Rich:)

Last edited:
Hi,A..
To bad you bought the M140 but thats your preference . I myself love the PLTB450B diode much more efficient than the M140. To tell you the truth i don't even bother with the M140 anymore. The PLTB450B will get you 2500mW Its a 5.6mm case run it wth an boost drive from Lazeerer at 1.8A. Your host s heat sink should be beefy enough to dissipate the heat properly. Boost drive you run with one with ion cell ..Hope this helps your 16340 single cell won't run it very long but long enough..

I haven't actually bought anything yet, but the M140 is the diode I've decided on since it's in my price range (Less than $25). I really just need advice on whether or not the hosts I linked have the proper heatsinks for the diode, can you confirm?

I haven't actually bought anything yet, but the M140 is the diode I've decided on since it's in my price range (Less than $25). I really just need advice on whether or not the hosts I linked have the proper heatsinks for the diode, can you confirm?

Hi,
I checked it out no that wouldn't do that diode justice. If your going to build a laser thats going to last with a good duty cycle save a little more and get one of Ehugemus hosts. Check out his posts he has tons of different type to suit your needs. Hey your spending money on a diode, xdrive,lens batteries ,charger why mess with some Chinese host that wouldn't do the job. Trust me you'll have no regrets. And you will have one awesome laser.

Encap

Both of the hosts you mention are low quality low cost Chinese hosts ---not worth using.

Have a look at the good quality host bundles Survival Lasers offers here: No-Diode Host Bundles

Email Gary at Survival Lasers he can tell you which one best suits your needs and the diode you plan to use ----email: sales@survivallaser.com

Both of the hosts you mention are low quality low cost Chinese hosts ---not worth using.

Have a look at the good quality host bundles Survival Lasers offers here: No-Diode Host Bundles

Email Gary at Survival Lasers he can tell you which one best suits your needs and the diode you plan to use ----email: sales@survivallaser.com

Hi,
You can go that way also but if you order a host from SL get a copper heat sink for it the aluminum sink will heat to fast for that diode. and you will need a battery extender to run that diode with 2-18650 cells..

Another choice would be Sci Fi Lasers ---the sell complete kits that include the M140 diode to make a 1W 445nm laser for $69.99 see: 501B DIY Complete Kit
The 501B is actually quite compelling, I just wish it didn't use 2 16340s, I think I might get a diode that is around 500mW so that than I can use only one 16340 battery. Any ideas where I could get a diode around 500mW? 445nm of course.

The 501B is actually quite compelling, I just wish it didn't use 2 16340s, I think I might get a diode that is around 500mW so that than I can use only one 16340 battery. Any ideas where I could get a diode around 500mW? 445nm of course.

Hi Alex,
Wait a minute the 501B hosts can use 1=18650 or 2=18350 cells its dual purpose host. i built a bunch of them buddy. it all depends on what diode your running in it..For instance if your running a M140 at 1.8A driver you can use 2 -18350's. And just say your running a 405nm/209 BDR you would use a xdrive/boost set to 600mA with 1-18650 cell. So your 501B host is versatile i love them.

Hi Alex,
Wait a minute the 501B hosts can use 1=18650 or 2=18350 cells its dual purpose host. i built a bunch of them buddy. it all depends on what diode your running in it..For instance if your running a M140 at 1.8A driver you can use 2 -18350's. And just say your running a 405nm/209 BDR you would use a xdrive/boost set to 600mA with 1-18650 cell. So your 501B host is versatile i love them.

I'm looking at the following currently to be honest since I still want to build my own, just to do it.
Bargain No-Diode Host Bundle - Any idea if this driver is the same voltage as the input or if it will just change the amperage to keep the ammperage steady?
And than for diodes I'm thinking something like the following:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/ndb7675-1-4w-462nm or https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445nm-h1650-diodes I'd like the 462nm, but I'd like to buy through his eBay and it isn't listed on his eBay, I may just buy it through his site anyways since I really do want true blue, but the price is a bit much to be honest so I may get stuck with the 445 1.8 and I'll have to check the datasheet to see if I can run the 445nm up to something like 450nm or so. Also I'd like to buy from his eBay since it's located in Missouri and not China like his site AFAIK, unless he is actually located in Missouri?

EDIT:
What about an M462?

EDIT2:
I'm looking at the heatsink options to make sure that the diode would fit and on SLUSA it says they are for 12mm modules, so will it not fit my M462, A-140 or PLTB450B than?

Last edited:
I'm looking at the following currently to be honest since I still want to build my own, just to do it.
Bargain No-Diode Host Bundle - Any idea if this driver is the same voltage as the input or if it will just change the amperage to keep the ammperage steady?
And than for diodes I'm thinking something like the following:
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/ndb7675-1-4w-462nm or https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445nm-h1650-diodes I'd like the 462nm, but I'd like to buy through his eBay and it isn't listed on his eBay, I may just buy it through his site anyways since I really do want true blue, but the price is a bit much to be honest so I may get stuck with the 445 1.8 and I'll have to check the datasheet to see if I can run the 445nm up to something like 450nm or so. Also I'd like to buy from his eBay since it's located in Missouri and not China like his site AFAIK, unless he is actually located in Missouri?

EDIT:
What about an M462?

EDIT2:
I'm looking at the heatsink options to make sure that the diode would fit and on SLUSA it says they are for 12mm modules, so will it not fit my M462, A-140 or PLTB450B than?

Ok all those diodes you listed run at 1.8A with 2 - 3.7V cells. If you by a host from SL use the copper tapered extended heat sink. the will give you room for one of DTR's diode modules with driver attached and all you will need is a 16.8mm contact board to install in the pill. SL has the contact boards to fit there pills. Buy the diodes and drivers from DTR's site there cheaper than on Ebay. If you order the host bundle pick the copper heat sink option i told you about those diode will need that .

Last edited:
Ok all those diodes you listed run at 1.8A with 2 - 3.7V cells. If you by a host from SL use the copper tapered extended heat sink. the will give you room for one of DTR's diode modules with driver attached and all you will need is a 16.8mm contact board to install in the pill. SL has the contact boards to fit there pills. Buy the diodes and drivers from DTR's site there cheaper than on Ebay. If you order the host bundle pick the copper heat sink option i told you about those diode will need that .

Ok, so here's where I am at now. Getting the no diode bundle from SL with tapered + extended copper heatsink, S4 body. Should I get one of the included drivers, the correct one for the diode I pick of course. I think I would rather get the driver from SL right? Also, considering 500-520nm diodes as well now since a bright green isn't so bad. I do think I will stick in the true blue range of 445-470nm or so. So the only question that remains is, which diode and is it ok to use the bundled driver from SL?

EDIT:
Looks like I should be able to just pick a diode and the right driver from SL and it will work, right? The S4 body has support for 2 16340s, which is what I will need to run a 1.8W or 2W diode right? Also, since the host accepts either 2 16340 or 1 18650, but the M462 diode I want is 5V would 2 2.5V batteries like this work?

EDIT2: Also, I should be ordering this type right here correct? Cause you said I'd need one with the module in order to put it in the heatsink right? Since the host is 1 18650 at 3.7 or 2 16340 but the diode needs 5V 1.8A, should I buy a contact board only with the host and get a different driver or get 2 2.5V batteries, like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tank-New-HI...465412?hash=item2ca1d22744:g:YTwAAOSwBahU75wP

Last edited:
Ok, so here's where I am at now. Getting the no diode bundle from SL with tapered + extended copper heatsink, S4 body. Should I get one of the included drivers, the correct one for the diode I pick of course. I think I would rather get the driver from SL right? Also, considering 500-520nm diodes as well now since a bright green isn't so bad. I do think I will stick in the true blue range of 445-470nm or so. So the only question that remains is, which diode and is it ok to use the bundled driver from SL?

EDIT:
Looks like I should be able to just pick a diode and the right driver from SL and it will work, right? The S4 body has support for 2 16340s, which is what I will need to run a 1.8W or 2W diode right? Also, since the host accepts either 2 16340 or 1 18650, but the M462 diode I want is 5V would 2 2.5V batteries like this work?

EDIT2: Also, I should be ordering this type right here correct? Cause you said I'd need one with the module in order to put it in the heatsink right? Since the host is 1 18650 at 3.7 or 2 16340 but the diode needs 5V 1.8A, should I buy a contact board only with the host and get a different driver or get 2 2.5V batteries, like these Tank New Higher Capacity 72000 Battery for Welch Allyn 2 5V | eBay

Hi,
Ok from what info you given me::
Diode; 462/2W/in module with leads Check.....
!- 1.8A x16.8mm driver SL... check...
S4 host kit..Check...
Now to power the driver and diode you will use 2-18350 cells AW cells are what i use . These will fit perfect and a longer run time so order the ones with the button top.These will work with the SL driver contact power side of there driver
NOT 2-16340 cells !!!
Her are some pics for reference on battery configuration.
The other pics are my 462nm in a Sinner host and a LPM reading so you can get an idea what this diode will do at 1.8A with 2-18350"s

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hi,
Ok from what info you given me::
Diode; 462/2W/in module with leads Check.....
!- 1.8A x16.8mm driver SL... check...
S4 host kit..Check...
Now to power the driver and diode you will use 2-18350 cells AW cells are what i use . These will fit perfect and a longer run time so order the ones with the button top.These will work with the SL driver contact power side of there driver
NOT 2-16340 cells !!!
Her are some pics for reference on battery configuration.
The other pics are my 462nm in a Sinner host and a LPM reading so you can get an idea what this diode will do at 1.8A with 2-18350"s

Thanks, this really clarified everything, but why 18350 instead of the 16340? Is there a significant different?

Hi ,
For one they fit better in circumference and will make better contact with the positive end of the contact board. they won't rattle around in the host. two they are larger in size compared to the 16"s it's just a better choice overall. The 16's have a tendency to move around a little.
You will be happier with the 18's..

Hi ,
For one they fit better in circumference and will make better contact with the positive end of the contact board. they won't rattle around in the host. two they are larger in size compared to the 16"s it's just a better choice overall. The 16's have a tendency to move around a little.
You will be happier with the 18's..

If I did assemble it, could I buy the 18350s later on down the line and use the 16340s while I wait for the 18s to arrive? Like is there a reason to use the 18s and wait for them instead of the 16s will it hurt the diode, etc. My 18650s are 4.2V and my 16340s are 4.2V as well.