Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a Hunting Light

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good hunting light for my father. What I am looking for is something bright, light weight and long run time, for over night continues hunting. Currently he uses a 6v rechargeable battery pack along with a headlight with Krypton bulb, he likes it but it dies out like after two hours (we hunt for almost 8 hours). Also I think even though Krypton produces a nice light, I would rather go with a T6 LED bulb. So I have been looking through eBay and came across this light that I like..
Here it is

I like that it is a T6 LED (should be bright, right?) Also the head piece is light, because the battery clips to the users belt and it uses 4 18650 batteries which I'm thinking should give long run time, and if needed we can carry along backup batteries..
My main concerns with this build are
Will the light be bright enough to hunt with?
Will it produces an uncomfortable amount of heat?
Will it last for long run times?
Will it be a durable device?
And also is the price right?

Thanks guys, I know you all always have awesome answers to stuff like this, that's why I'm here once again, thanks in advance.

I don't really have any experience with headlamps, only handheld flashlights, but fwiw...

T6 Led should be fine, it's basically the same as the xml u2, just more neutral white, which would work better for outdoor use. Personally I prefer a NW tint on flashlights.

I would stay away from anything cheaper like that headlamp, if it has to last the night, in actual outdoors conditions.

Thanks for your response, I didn't quiet get the last part though, you said you would stay away from anything CHEAPER like that head light..What do you mean? Cheaper THAN the one I posted? Or stay away from that one itself and look for a better one? And examples?

What I mean is, (and this is strictly personal experience,) I bought 3-4 no-name, cheaper lights, from china, similar to that. All of them sucked/had issues out of the package.

I wouldn't want to be dependent on them in an emergency.

At the same time, there are any number of fairly budget lights out there, that IMO, perform very well.

Personally I own surefire, eagletac, jetbeam, crelant, apex, and balder. All of these are head and shoulders above what I have seen from the no-name lights.

The jetbeam bc25 for example, I've been able to find for <$50, I own two of them... and one I have put through some heavy use.

I understand..I did notice they are no name china products, but it's what I could find..Do you have any head mounted lights? I don't know where to look..

I don't own any headlamps... wouldn't mind getting one actually.

Personally in your place, I would start just checking which known/reputable flashlight makers also make headlamps. I think I remember seeing some from Fenix.

Sure, post what you find... like I said, wouldn't mind getting one either.

Some flashlight brands I know off hand that I trust;

Surefire
Eagletac
Armytek
Fenix
Jetbeam
O-light
Nitecore (basically same company as jetbeam)
Thrunite
Sunwayman
Klarus
Balder
Crelant
Rofis

I'm sure I'm missing many good ones, but those are the ones I can think of off hand, that I would trust.

Ok so I went through each one, and only one of the producers had headlamps and I didn't like them, they carry small LED and reflectors, none had T6 LED and the battery pack was built in with the head piece..I don't like it..I want something like what I showed you from eBay but from a known producer..I'm still searching, if you all come across anything let me know and I will also do the same, thanks guys!

Given the discourse of the discussion, I'm not sure if you're looking for a headlamp, but for a beefy flashlight, I would recommend the HD2010. It has an XM-L LED and takes both 18650's (very common) and 26650's (longer runtime, brighter).

It sells just a tad below $30 at Tmart. If you live in the US, the US warehouse should deliver it to you in 3-4 days.

Easily pumps out 900-1200 lumens because it's basically direct driver on High mode and draws anywhere between 3-4 amps depending on the cell. The deep reflector provides long throw, even up to 300-350 meters.

A good review here: Review: UltraFire HD2010 | BudgetLightForum.com

Cheers!

Edit: I figured that a headlamp won't throw that far... and doesn't often come with an XM-L.

Edit:

headlamp.png

This guy at BLF is doing a mod to a headlamp. Maybe if you're interested...

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/15463

Last edited:
I like it, no what I am looking for, but while hunting it's always a sensible thing to have a handheld light as well..One question about it, whats the run time you get with it on continuous use?

I like it, no what I am looking for, but while hunting it's always a sensible thing to have a handheld light as well..One question about it, whats the run time you get with it on continuous use?

Good practical question. It certainly won't last through your 8 hour hunting trips, but with a 4000-4500 mAh 26650 cell, it should last 1-1.5 hours conservatively. This is on crazy bright high mode, and will last much longer on med or low mode.
I'd say pack 4-5 cells and swap them out? Or will that be too much of a burden?

Cheers!

No not at all, I don't see carrying cells to be a problem, I will take a look at the mod the guy is doing, I like that build, plus I can always wire in a battery pack in parallel with about 4 18650 or 26650 to have killer run time..Only question that will come to mind is the head the light produces while it's on your head.

Fiddy

Ive had the Led lenser H7 the chinese crap 18650 head torch and am currently on the Zebralight H600.

By far the Zebralight shits on them all.

T6 led, multi-brightness modes, the housing is all aluminum, runs off a 18650, 750lm's on turbo, easy to adjust angle.

zebralihgt_h600_3.jpg

The downside is the cost and no focus adjustment, but you rarely need focus because it has a good balance between spot and flood and with its high output lumens works well.

Last edited:

Fiddy

For the 3 Chinese ones i went through with low output lumens, brittle plastic strap clips and a bulky battery compartment i could justify the price.