Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a custom built laser

Taz493

I don't know too much about lasers and how they work all that but my husband does and I wanted to surprise him with a a laser that can burn something at at least 15 to 20 feet away because I've looked online and read lots of reviews and trying to buy one online it's overpriced or they lie and you get ripped off so I thought my best bet to make sure that I'm getting what I'm I'm paying for if I can find someone that can custom building 1 that hopefully don't cost way too much hopefully something under $100 if possible and thank you to anyone that can help me out sorry I didn't know quite what to say hopefully someone can help me

Sta

Lasers are extremely dangerous. You and your husband should research laser safety extensively, LONG before you get anything with that kind of power. You're going to want to get a much lower power laser before you get anything that can burn at distance. Buy safety goggles too, good ones.

Taz493

My myself I don't know about them but my husband on the other hand does he's had a very powerful one before but we had to move and we put them in storage and because Unfortunate Events we lost our storage and he was quite upset and I know I can't afford one that is strong as he had before but something that was close to it maybe

Encap

Taz493--First off you you violated LPF rules with your first posts, posting in Buy, Sell, and Trade.
The subforum clearly says under the Title : "Buy, Sell, and Trade' --"Buy, sell, and trade lasers and/or laser pointers. Minimum 20 laser related posts required before thread creation."

Whatever your past circumstances, fortunate or unfortunate, may be they have nothing to do with laser hazards, laser safety and safe laser use nor the price of lasers.

You have not given any information about your husbands lost laser---nothing about output power or wavelength/color---nothing of any use in evaluating a new laser other than "burning something", whatever that means,from 15-20 feet away.
Doubt if anything for $100 or less is going to do that unless you mean by "burning something" you mean pop a balloon or maybe ingnite a match head. Good quality laser glasses/goggles alone cost about half of your budget of $100 so...
Maybe ask him about what he might like or want before wasting money on something would he would not be happy with.
Am reasonably sure you have other higher economic priorities than a laser if you had to move and lost everything in storage.

FYI: A laser beam has no temperature - there is no inherent "temperature" to a laser beam. Heat is produced by the random motion of matter particles (atomic or molecular particles). A laser beam itself is not made of matter but of photons, which have no mass, thus a laser beam can have no temperature. "Heat" can be caused by a laser beams energy being absorbed by a materials surface and turning light energy into heat energy. So " burning something means something that will absorb enough energy from a laser beam hitting it to burn it.

You can make a good start by buying a good quality Eagle Pair of laser goggles/glasses for $40 to$50 here: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx

You can buy high quality lasers from the following reliable manufacturers at reasonable prices--have a look at JetLasers here: https://www.jetlasers.org/index.php and/or from Sanwu Lasers here: https://www.sanwulasers.com/

You can PM custom host maker LPF member Lifetime17 and ask what he can do for about $100--see his much better quality than any Chinese reseller bandit web site has to offer here: https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...t-sinks-focus-adapters-lasers.100082/page-132

See best laser safety web site here: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

See also what permanent eye damage on member suffered in less than 1 second from his 1000mW /1W blue laser here: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean, we can definitely try and help. But the attitude so far in this thread has been somber at best... and for good reason. Almost any sufficiently powerful laser can burn something 15-20 ft away, by adjusting it's focal point, and selecting the correct colour target (obviously, for example, shining a red laser on a red surface is going to reflect a lot more light than, say, shining it on a black surface).

The downside? Turn it on, indoors, without the proper eye protection, and even the splash/reflection from shining it on a white wall can very well destroy your eyes, forever.

I used to have a few powerful lasers as well (hell, I just burnt a hole in my wall with a ~3w RGB array a few days ago), doesn't mean I'm willing to invest in new ones without a good understanding of expectations, local laws, and *most importantly* eye protection.

I'm going to assume he had a 445nm blue laser in the 1w range. Considering he had it "awhile ago" and these were available to just about every damn person on the planet in the ~120$USD range, and was cheap enough to lose (a 1w 532nm green pointer from the same era, if you could even find one, was well over 1.5kUSD).

Is this a surprise, or can you ask for more details. As men, we say we understand a whole bunch of things we have absolutely zero business being a part of, aha.

Ogskylr

I don't know too much about lasers and how they work all that but my husband does and I wanted to surprise him with a a laser that can burn something at at least 15 to 20 feet away because I've looked online and read lots of reviews and trying to buy one online it's overpriced or they lie and you get ripped off so I thought my best bet to make sure that I'm getting what I'm I'm paying for if I can find someone that can custom building 1 that hopefully don't cost way too much hopefully something under $100 if possible and thank you to anyone that can help me out sorry I didn't know quite what to say hopefully someone can help me
Did you find one yet?

My thought on this thread is two fold: 1) This person is most likely too young to have any thing over 5mW . Or, 2) this person is baby blue seeking to scam for reason. I mean, if you look at the #@$Ty grammar. I would not even encorporate this IMO in my situation.

Ogskylr

My thought on this thread is two fold: 1) This person is most likely too young to have any thing over 5mW . Or, 2) this person is baby blue seeking to scam for reason. I mean, if you look at the #@$Ty grammar. I would not even encorporate this IMO in my situation.
not the best grammar there bruv... hey wolfram, this is off topic, but what’s a point? It says you have 28 points.

FAP

You will find a few members are both very active and sometimes have harsh views on posts, it has been this way for many years in this group. I too suspect the intention of many newbie posters, often later finding I was too critical.

The reason for this is there are a few newbies who are not genuine, trying to work an angle of some kind or just trying to draw hits on web sites by asking if this or that laser is any good. However, many of those posts are legit, we just cannot always tell which are which from newbies.

Last edited:

Ogskylr

Copy that FAP, my intent is to meet and learn from laser enthusiasts. I am no stranger to crabby paddies, I am also fluent in Ahole, Dickish, and Sarcasm so forgive me if any nuance is lost due to typo’s or misunderstood intent.

Reactions: FAP

FAP

We also have a consistent user creating newbie profile names to ask questions when the forum slows down too much. This has been going on for yesrs too.

Sherako

Copy that FAP, my intent is to meet and learn from laser enthusiasts. I am no stranger to crabby paddies, I am also fluent in Ahole, Dickish, and Sarcasm so forgive me if any nuance is lost due to typo’s or misunderstood intent.
Just doing my random scrolling through the forums for the day, wanted to tell you I liked your profile picture! :)