Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a cheap enough high quality green laser only for pointing, suggestions ?

damenz

Last question would be, how to measure mw in a cheap / free way.
Just got 2 ideas actually:

1. Turning all lasers on and checking for which one is the brightest one and that will have the highest mw (but i guess this is actually hard or impossible to do since the mw difference wont be that huge i guess).

2. Trying to burn matches or something with all 3 lasers and counting the delay. The laser with the shortest delay will have the highest mw (also here i am not sure if this method will be effective xD)

Last question would be, how to measure mw in a cheap / free way.
Just got 2 ideas actually:

1. Turning all lasers on and checking for which one is the brightest one and that will have the highest mw (but i guess this is actually hard or impossible to do since the mw difference wont be that huge i guess).

2. Trying to burn matches or something with all 3 lasers and counting the delay. The laser with the shortest delay will have the highest mw (also here i am not sure if this method will be effective xD)
Your first idea won't work because different wavelength lasers appear darker or brighter depending entirely on their wavelength alone. A green 532nm laser is many times brighter than a 445nm one of the same power.

Your second idea doesn't take into account the energy density of different laser diodes, so it won't work either. A single mode 405nm laser has a much greater power density than a 445nm multi mode laser. The higher power 445nm laser diodes have more highly divergent axes than the lower power ones do. But, the power is still the same even when the power density is different. For this reason you can't gauge power from burning capacity unless you take the beam profile into account.

damenz

Thanks. I hope you know that we are talking about the same laser pointer xD.
I was sure that idea 1 would work, cuz i bought 3x the same laser. They are all 3 532nm but alright.
Seems like i have to safe up money and get these power measure devices (what ever they are called) which show you the mw.

Laser Power Meter--LPM
too late now but--

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=laser&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=77422&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=blab1391&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_fosrp=1

^^ This is member KingKube (Alan)
he has 3 greens (pointers and 3 or more green Lablasers) --all very nice -- the actual powers listed are 5mW ONLY due to ebay policy.. I like best those that take rechargable 18650 Batts--aaas cost a lot in the long run.

damenz

Okay so all of my 3 lasers arrived now (the last 2 lasers arrived today).

I can't tell any difference so i guess i rly have to buy a laser power meter :D. The third laser looks very weak and also the star cap looks damaged. I almost cut my fingers from that cap... it has super sharp edges, they are NOT smooth like the other 2 star caps from the other lasers but whatever :D.

I thought you will see the beam clearly even at day time with the 303 laser but they dont look that bright as youtube videos and the beam is suuuuuper thin. It's hard to see the beam since its very small.

Anyways. I am planning to buy my next laser now again XD. I dont care if it can burn or not. I never burn stuff. I just want it for pointing with a super bright beam and far range as possible.
I don't care color but i bet green will be super bright :).

Price range: 1-100$. Suggestions ?

Ps. My mate offers me his thor ultra 3W for just 20$ (cheap under friends) since he never uses it anymore. I tried it a few times and i can tell that the beam of his laser is super bright and way bigger than my 303 lasers haha.

Drelitram

Laser Power Meter--LPM
too late now but--

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...asl=blab1391&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_fosrp=1laser

^^ This is member KingKube (Alan)
he has 3 greens (pointers and 3 or more green Lablasers) --all very nice -- the actual powers listed are 5mW ONLY due to ebay policy.. I like best those that take rechargable 18650 Batts--aaas cost a lot in the long run.

So as an expert, would you suggest purchasing these cheap-ass ones from eBay for pointing only?

GSS

damenz, the thinner the beam, the more visible it is.. It also takes ALOT of power to have a chance of seeing a beam in daylight. Not sure but i'm thinking you fell for the adds of the 303's where they doctor the pics to make them look insanely powerful..:(
Your best bet for the money I think will be a PLP520B1 direct diode that can do close to 200mw.

Last edited:

damenz

Sweet thank you. So basically i need a 1-5W green laser pointer (i want it so bright as possible).
But they cost thousand of dollars. So i will safe up money :) i am glad i asked haha.I love to point around and more brighter a laser is, more fun it is to me.

The highest power 520nm green laser pointer will be 1.4 watts. You can get the 532nm DPSS lasers in higher powers, but only in lab hosts with large drivers and power supplies. That is about it for affordable green lasers. You can get a 1350 mW 532nm for ~$400.00. Above that they get more expensive. At 2 watts they are at least $700.00.