Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for 532nm Diode at 2.8 Watts

335nm is UV, just so you know.

You're not going to be able to DIY a picosecond laser. I'm very, very sure nobody on this forum will ever be able to do that...

A pulsed laser like that, and a picosecond laser, is different. To put into perspective how short a picosecond is. Light travels about the distance of a pepper flake from a pepper shaker, in a picosecond.

These are unfathomably fast, and VERY expensive.

If you're looking to cut/engrave metal, you're looking for a CO2 laser, or a grant. You pick.

CO2 is far in the IR, 10.6um (10,600nm) and not something for the weekend project of someone who a, does not know the difference between UV and IR, and b, does not know about DPSS vs diode, and c, needs this thread to begin with.

I would NOT recommend getting into this unless you are ready to spend money not only on the laser, but your own health.

Do some in depth reading on CO2 lasers, their dangers, properties, how they run, etc. These are not toys. Just think, you're using it to cut and engrave metal. Do you even want to KNOW what it will do to skin and your eyes?

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Also, make sure to get in depth on the safeties and precautions of high voltage, and how to behave around this sort of thing. High voltage for a HeNe is one thing, CO2 is a whole other, much more volatile, monster.

I recommend the FAQ of course. I also recommend simply searching, and opening a new tab whenever there is a word you do not understand, and then looking that up as well. Just keep that process up until you know these systems like the back of your hand. Only then will you be able to safely engage this process without not only burning out your eyes, but possibly burning down the entire facility you're running in. I don't even have a CO2 because I live in a wooden dorm. Bad mix.

Last edited:
Pulse laser? That may be amazed idea. Can it be possible? WOW. Just looking forward to seeing it. :D

drexaq

Much thanks for your advice, I understand it probably did appear that I attempting to play with fire without any knowledge. I am aware of all hazards and would not have taken any action without utmost safety. I have already done projects, including a cnc mill, and edm. This is my next project, and like the others, I had to start somewhere.

Regarding CO2 I don't really have any interest due to the fact that in order to achieve the necessary power, the laser would be unnecessarily large for the machine I am trying to build. Also I need ablate(sublimation of target material) the material, this is achieved only by femto, pico, or nanosecond laser pulses, whereas a c02 laser will just burn the material.

I realize this is a long way off, and may take years but it will be done. Don't worry, I am not a child, I will be graduating with my Mech Eng degree soon. Thanks, for all of your help learned a lot in the past 24 hours!

Before you go out looking for something, you should at least know what you are looking for.

A CO2 laser is probably the smallest form factor laser you can get that has enough power to engrave metal...

ARG

^ Wouldn't a YAG laser be smaller? I guess the power supplies are the beefy part of both of them, regardless of the size of the head.

AUS

Copper is particularly hard to laser cut apparently, and you would be hard pressed building something in a hobby environment that would work. Here are the commercial processes:

Coherent use DPSS 355nm UV lasers in the watt to tens of watts range: Here is the application note and Here is the laser they use.

Last edited: