Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for 5.6 to 9mm Laser Adapter

gazer101

Has nobody ever used one of these to fit a small diode into a large housing?

My best advice would be to forget about this adapter. If you need a 5.6 mm or 9 mm module, you would be better off using the correct size module. I personally use only copper ones from DTR, but there are many options in nickel plated brass too.

gazer101

My best advice would be to forget about this adapter. If you need a 5.6 mm or 9 mm module, you would be better off using the correct size module. I personally use only copper ones from DTR, but there are many options in nickel plated brass too.
How I wish I owned a lathe lol

Last edited:
Yeah, you can get nickle plated brass modules on eBay for as little as $2.00 each. I have some for people who don't want to pay for the solid copper ones, but I don't use them myself.

The nickel coated brass modules don't move heat as well, I have tested them and seen it time and time again, if you are using a 1w or better diode copper modules are well worth it.

gazer101

For sure copper all the way, but due to limitations of my design I have to fit a 5.6mm diode into a 9mm space (getting a different sized module not an option... the laser housing is integrated into the laser host).

But I do have numerous dead 9mm diodes laying around (obtained through me stupidly frying them ☠️... don't ask how much money I lost due to frying) so I might be able to drill a hole through the middle of them and stuff a 5.6mm diode inside. Might give it a shot sometime later this week.

But I would strongly prefer a purpose-built adapter so plz let me know if you come across one (5.6mm to 9mm)

I'm sorry, but I still don't see how that will get you more room for a different lens. Putting a TO-18 diode into a module meant for a TO-5 just doesn't get you there unless there's something you're not telling me.

gazer101

As I stated, the laser module/housing (the thing that I am press-fitting the diode into) is physically attached to the host... I cannot simply get my own properly-sized module to mount my laser into

That is unfortunate. It may be better for you to get another host and save that one for something else.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
give us some pics of the host if you can

I did set mine over 1 amp, but how much over I cannot remember. My best guess is that it will likely do okay at that current if you use a good heat sink.