Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

long range energy transfer using a laser

sss

hello guys ,
i'm looking for a way to transfer heat energy to a distance of around 100m .
the heat collector would be around 1cm x 1cm .
the laser should be able to heat the collector with as much energy as possible , i would say 100 - 200 degrees celcius or better , but not too hot to burn or start fire .it will be stationarry laser , not a hand held pointer ...
now for the questions :
1 - is it even possible ?
2 - what is the best wave length for this , i want the beam to be invisible , but i guess ir is not the best wave length for this , right ?
3 - if the laser beam is high above ground (6m) and stationarry (always pointing at the collector), is it still unsafe for people stairing at the beam from the ground (if its visible) ?

ok , i'm a noob , you got me :whistle:

Ablaze

It could be done.. IR could even be practical.

You could shine the laser into a box like thing so that you couldn't see the point of impact from the ground.

If something, like a leaf, were to randomly blow into the beam it could create a dazzlingly bright burst of light that could cause damage.

Also, if you used a visible laser you would be able to see a beam of that strength in the air.

There are a lot of safety concerns. However, if you could manage to address them then a laser could be ideal for this.

Last edited:
1) yes, but FAR from practical.
2) IR diodes are the most efficient - some are up to 60%. I don't know how that compares with your... "heat collector"
3) Meh, assuming you aligned it properly.

I can guarantee you there are MUCH better ways of getting power where you want it. The most important question you can answer for us: why?

Last edited:
hello guys ,
the heat collector would be around 1cm x 1cm .
the laser should be able to heat the collector with as much energy as possible , i would say 100 - 200 degrees celcius or better , but not too hot to burn or start fire .it will be stationarry laser , not a hand held pointer ...
now for the questions :
1 - is it even possible ?
2 - what is the best wave length for this , i want the beam to be invisible , but i guess ir is not the best wave length for this , right ?
3 - if the laser beam is high above ground (6m) and stationarry (always pointing at the collector), is it still unsafe for people stairing at the beam from the ground (if its visible) ?

ok , i'm a noob , you got me :whistle:

What is the end purpose of this... perhaps there is a more
economical or easier way of "skinning the cat"...

Jerry

sss

end purpose - small emmount of electrical energy to power a "secret device" :). ir / uv laser will better suit me , but after reading a bit around here , i think this pretty much impossible .

i found (reading here) that for long distance burining (heating also ?) , the best wave length would be 405nm , which is visible .am i right ?

Uh huh... You have a device (won't say what) that needs power from a laser (won't say why) from 100m (won't say why) that's invisible (won't say why).

You're starting to look like a troll, sir. You can't expect decent assistance with these half-ass questions you're asking.

sss

Uh huh... You have a device (won't say what) that needs power from a laser (won't say why) from 100m (won't say why) that's invisible (won't say why).

You're starting to look like a troll, sir. You can't expect decent assistance with these half-ass questions you're asking.

i need to power a device , well not power it , only charge it overnight , or over few days from this distance .i dont know if laser is the est way , i didnt say that .i would charge it with solar cell if there was direct sunlight ,but there is none .
the only thing i didnt say is what exactly this device does .
i want invisible light so people wont be distracted by it / my secret device wont be secret anymore :shhh:.
is that enought info for you ?

i need to power a device , well not power it , only charge it overnight , or over few days from this distance .i dont know if laser is the est way , i didnt say that .i would charge it with solar cell if there was direct sunlight ,but there is none .
the only thing i didnt say is what exactly this device does .
i want invisible light so people wont be distracted by it / my secret device wont be secret anymore :shhh:.
is that enought info for you ?
Why don't you use a laser to excite a solar cell rather than
heat something... How much current and at what voltage
does your "secret" device require...:thinking:

Jerry

joeyss

Just want to come in here and say. I've heard of using lasers to power solar cells with better efficny than regular sunlight conversion cause of the single WL....you just need one that is close to the peak absorption of the cell. Then you could use a beam expander to expand the beam. Size doesn't matter so as long as the cell is big enough to get the whole dot you're good. Bigger dot=smaller spread.

He's talking about a 1cm square area.... no idea why...
he seems to be a bit too secretive...

Jerry

sss

Just want to come in here and say. I've heard of using lasers to power solar cells with better efficny than regular sunlight conversion cause of the single WL....you just need one that is close to the peak absorption of the cell. Then you could use a beam expander to expand the beam. Size doesn't matter so as long as the cell is big enough to get the whole dot you're good. Bigger dot=smaller spread.
what wave length is needed to power a solar cell and is it safe enough ?

Why don't you use a laser to excite a solar cell rather than
heat something... How much current and at what voltage
does your "secret" device require...:thinking:

i have no problem using solar cells if its a better solution .
the power from distant laser / whatever will be used only to charge a battery .i'll choose the battery voltage thats best suited for the laser reciever , then the volage will be regulated/upped to 3.7v to power the device .
i'm expecting at least few miliamps that will be able to charge the battery overnight .

He's talking about a 1cm square area.... no idea why...

at first i was planning to use TEC and ir invisible laser, thats why the small area , i have no problem to use 5cm x 5cm solar cell

DrSid

Surprisingly most solar cells are most sensitive in near IR. IR will also have least losses in the air. If you only want few mA, then maybe even 200mW IR laser could do that. And solar cell can charge during the day too.
Divergence of the beam would be the main problem. At 100m, the laser beam will be larger then even 5x5cm. More like 50x50cm. That is with common small lens at laser side.
To get better divergence, you would need larger diameter lens, or curved mirror, at laser side. Things like that tends to be expansive.

what wave length is needed to power a solar cell and is it safe enough ?

i have no problem using solar cells if its a better solution .
the power from distant laser / whatever will be used only to charge a battery .i'll choose the battery voltage thats best suited for the laser reciever , then the volage will be regulated/upped to 3.7v to power the device .
i'm expecting at least few miliamps that will be able to charge the battery overnight .

If you are 100 meters away you would need one MF of a Laser
to damage your 5cm X 5cm Solar Cell at that range.
Remember you need to cover as much of the Solar Cell as possible
without spilling any part of the Lasers beam pat the Cell.

As to the wavelength of Laser.. that would depend on the Optical
characteristics of the Solar Cell you choose. All Solar Cells don't
come out of the same mold.

Jerry

Last edited:
From my standpoint is seems like buying a small solar cell and a few 18650s, and letting it charge during the day and run off the batteries at night seems like a better idea. If you use a solar panel then you wouldn't have to deal with expensive/dangerous lasers and complicated aligning/focusing processes.
Just my $.02