Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LoL 110mW $8.00 Pointer from IQS

Arshus

So I ordered a regular pen-style 532nm From ItemQuickShip ($8.00) and metered that sucker with fresh duracell alkalines and WHAM! peaked at 110mW!!! then settles at around ~89-91mw. Crazy for an $8 pen. Heats up like crazy after 2-3 mins constant duty, and also...has a funny characteristic: Once the pen reaches about ~70mW and above it splits into TEM01 Mode. lol.

Item quick ship is like a box of chocolate lasers. You never know what your going to get....

-Sal:crackup:

Interesting. I bought one of the combo sets of BR/Green pens from him and the green sucks. I wonder if he got a different source since then because pretty much everyone who got one agreed they weren't the best. I am using rechargeable eneloop AAAs in it wonder if that matters. I kinda doubt it since my 405 pen from him runs at a steady 45mw with the same batteries. Maybe I'll try some regular alkalines in it for grins and giggles.

Arshus

Holy crap my 405 is the same mW also from him lol (Look at my sig) The green is amazing. Obviously low quality, as it beam splits at higher outputs, but its a nice power laser for the price. I think AAA rechargeables are 1.2v, which would explain your problem.

I ran it for about 120sc. Stable at around 90mW with stock duracells. Well see how long it lives :p My Superbeast 006 is nothing out of the ordinary...which is contrary to what others have reported, so I guess its a wildcard, but regardless, no one can deny that IQS' lasers are great bang for the buck.

-Sal

Last edited:
Well for grins and giggles I found some normal AAAs. They're just cheap carbon-zinc eveready brand that I probably bought for the TV remote. No idea when I got them but they measured in at 1.6v each. They did give almost a 50% boost to my 532 pen as it went from ~26mw to 38mw. I'd bet most of it is IR. Still mode hopped like mad. In my 405 it went from 45mw stable to 48 so no big difference there. I think I'll stick to my eneloops which are 1.4v at full charge. The small gain isn't worth the cost of buying batteries for them when I can just recharge the other ones.

My #6 isn't a monster either but came in at a respectable 45w (includes 15mw of IR). I hope to snag a #100 next payday or the one after.

iFoSh

I just ordered 3 of these greenies. Hope I have the same luck! I'll let you know next week when they arrive.

Arshus

Heres the graph of the laser's exact performance. Courtesy of my Laserbee:

4586-iqs-532nm-pen-style.jpg

As you can see it performs amazing for an $8 Pointer. Lets see how long it lives.

Regards,

Sal

joeyss

Can you use goggles to filter the green and get me a IR reading? I'm guessing 40-55% of it is IR.

Arshus

Ok here is the graph plotting the laser's IR output, having the beem travel through my goggles on its way to the thermopile:

4589-iqs-532nm-pen-style-ir-reading.jpg

The graph looks interesting in comparison to the total output graph, almost looks like a step function.

So you can see a max of 19mW of IR, vs. a 108 Max of Total output, then (19/108)*100 = 17.6% IR. Not bad for an Ebayzer. We need more Ebay sellers like ItemQuickShip lol.

Reagrds,

Sal

Last edited:

iFoSh

Dang I'm excited about having a chance to get some of these for so cheap! I haven't looked around on here much for his items so I'll just ask...do people typically have good luck with his pointers??

Arshus

I havent heard too much about his ponters, only great reports from people on here about his "Super Beast", but my pointer kicks the super beast's ass (at least mine), and with a longer duty cycle lol.

@Meatball: Its a disticnt possibility. Like I said lets see how long this baby lasts. :p

-Sal

joeyss

Anyone buy the Super Mini #20 Green Laser Pointer Pen Visible Beam

It's $10 and only takes 1 AAA

It would be nice if we could get around 40-50mw out of it.

Helios

I have seen several reports that these pointers can be further increased using 10440 li-ions. If you have one thats already nice and high imagine what it could be with a proper battery.

NOTE: only use 1 10440 as its already 3.6V (4.2V fresh) so you will need use use a spacer or cut down the tube.