Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lightscribe

I've tried this before, it's great fun...

Careful though, you can burn through the data layer if you leave it in one place too long.

I had a crazy idea involving jimmying a laser onto an old plotter and using it to lightscribe my discs in a fraction of the time my computer takes to make a simple label.

yea thats what i was worried about, i did it to a second one, decided i didnt want to ruin it since they cost twice as much as regular dvds you think the pc will still light scribe it? theres only a few little dots on the second one... lol.

Yep, the computer will still lightscribe it... It does that blindly as long as it finds the lightscribe hologram data around the middle of the disc. Won't get rid of the dots though.

Actually since you mentioned this I had a go at a lightscribe disc that's sitting on my desk using my bluray and wasn't able to burn through the data like before.. I'm pretty sure I was using a ~280mW red when I broke the disc before... and I did have to hold it in the same spot for a second or two for this to happen... there was smoke... it was pretty clear I was killing it.

I'm guessing it's somewhat safe to do this with a medium-powered laser like a bluray... The dvdrom drive itself has a more powerful laser and it's basically doing exactly the same thing as you are, only a lot more accurately. As long as you stop before you see smoke I'm pretty sure you won't kill any discs.

Yea, cool. So basically lightscribe is new to me! I figured if a laser can do this inside my comp. ibet my bluray can lol, basically you can lightscribe over a lightscribed disc? but it will have the images mixed together on it? ehh hmm just curious...

treb76

it's a disc that you can put into your lightscribe compatible drive and burn images onto the top of the disc instead of using disc labels.

1. Burn disc regularly with your data
2. Flip it
3. Burn disc image on top of disc