Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Life is like a box of chocolates?

I see 4 blocks so 32 diodes from picture if it has 8 blocks then 64 diodes. As most mentioned it looks to be nubm08 or around those nubm46, nubm42, can be a possibility. I wouldn't expect 44s or 47s out of here. But without a model number not exactly sure whats in there.

Where be daa pics cuz ???
Well the interesting part about this projector is the use of dichroic mirrors as opposed to the silver first surface mirrors seen in all the projectors that I've opened. They are used everywhere where the beams needs to be steered. The other interesting thing is that there are two light boxes with identical optics so I got double of each lens and dicros.

The diodes are the nubm08's which makes sense because the blue when watching a movie was a nicer shade than I've seen in my XJ series projectors. Though I'm not too impressed with a diodes they dim out at 5 amps and have that typical wide flat line of a beam with the stock lens that's used 😢

Anyway, here's a pic of the light boxes side by side, one empty and one still populated.

*Trying to insert the image and for some reason it's not working so I'll post the link until I figure it out.

1J7KN54[\img]

That's because panasonic uses dual phosphor color wheels
How would that make a difference? The phosphor wheel produces green and a lighter shade of green almost a yellow. Then there is a dichroic filter on a wheel that produces the reds but only one of those.

To my understanding there's only two phosphor Wheels in this machine because it employs a redundancy to maintain consistency of brightness, but neither produce blue.

The reds however were nicer than the BenQ machines that I took apart, as they used on orangey colored phosphor to produce the reds which were just horrid and unwatchable. The dichroic filter wheel does a much better job at the reds in this machine.

The price tag is also pretty hefty on these for the diodes that it contains and depending on how many hours are on the used machine. I got lucky and there was less than 2,000 hours on this unit. All the other ones I've seen for sale run into the several of thousands of dollars and average well over 10,000 hours, and as high as 39,000hrs.

I tested a few diodes and they so far dim out right around 5 amps. I really hope I get some better numbers as I extract more 😫

Last edited:
How would that make a difference? The phosphor wheel produces green and a lighter shade of green almost a yellow. Then there is a dichroic filter on a wheel that produces the reds but only one of those.

To my understanding there's only two phosphor Wheels in this machine because it employs a redundancy to maintain consistency of brightness, but neither produce blue.

The reds however were nicer than the BenQ machines that I took apart, as they used on orangey colored phosphor to produce the reds which were just horrid and unwatchable. The dichroic filter wheel does a much better job at the reds in this machine.

The price tag is also pretty hefty on these for the diodes that it contains and depending on how many hours are on the used machine. I got lucky and there was less than 2,000 hours on this unit. All the other ones I've seen for sale run into the several of thousands of dollars and average well over 10,000 hours.

These machines unfortunately are also rated for 20,000 hours on high brightness and up to 24,000 hours if running eco mode / low brightness.

I tested a few diodes and they so far dim out right around 5 amps. I really hope I get some better numbers as I extract more 😫
The color wheels used early on in laser projectors were made from an organic phosphorous material which would deteriorate rather quickly. Later models used an inorganic phosphorous material which was much more durable and long lasting. Eventually the industry figured out how to make white from blue only and didn't need to produce green and red anymore. You can see in early model Casio M140's and A140's where there is a burnt line going around the color wheel. The Panasonic PT-RW630 was released back in 2014 so they may have still been using the organic color wheels in early production models so they could really only handle so much power before they would burn up. To get 6500 lumens output they likely needed to parallel the light engines to achieve such an output.

The color wheels used early on in laser projectors were made from an organic phosphorous material which would deteriorate rather quickly. Later models used an inorganic phosphorous material which was much more durable and long lasting. Eventually the industry figured out how to make white from blue only and didn't need to produce green and red anymore. You can see in early model Casio M140's and A140's where there is a burnt line going around the color wheel. The Panasonic PT-RW630 was released back in 2014 so they may have still been using the organic color wheels in early production models so they could really only handle so much power before they would burn up. To get 6500 lumens output they likely needed to parallel the light engines to achieve such an output.
That is really odd, I've taken apart a130s and a140s, the only time I've seen a marked up phosphor wheel was when the inside of the machine was really dirty.

I've gone through several a140s and the only thing I noticed was at the diodes start to burn out after 10,000 hours or so. The red LED gets pretty gummed up too and loses brightness, but that seems to be more of an issue with just dust jamming up the heat sink. Also noticed that they used to use shims in the a140s on the diode block for alignment purposes that had a few diodes not fully clamped into place and probably died within the first few hours of use.

In the literature on this Panasonic series it's been said that the two chambers and the doubled up diodes was to compensate for diodes that lost brightness. It said that these machines can run maintenance free 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 10 years . They also mention the phosphor and the research they put into it.

Regarding the lumen output I don't think they need 64 diodes to hit 6,000 lumens. If we look at the XJ series V2 they only have eight diodes and hit the 3000 lumen mark. Bank One in this machine has four blocks of eight, even if each block is run at a moderate output, that's 32 diodes! I think that's more than enough to hit the 6000 plus mark.

I can't remember all the particulars of the article, I'll see if I can find in my history and the write-up on it.

I also read this is the first machine to use a single DLP chip that broke the 6,000 lumen mark.

Some of the used machines are being sold with 39,000 hours on them which leads me to believe that that what I read is true, that the second bank of diodes engage after the first bank loses brightness, which makes sense as the diodes are rated for 20,000 hours.

Overall a lot more engineering seems to have gone into these Panasonic machines versus the XJ and m series as well as other machines like BenQ that I've torn down to harvest parts.

The liquid cooling system was a nice touch, for the amount of light output this was a very quiet machine.

I pulled out six 120 mm fans plus two 60 mm fans for the phosphor wheels, and a ducted fan that was in place to cool the DLP chip.

Overall a great little harvest to go in my box of parts for future projects 😁

Last edited:
Well the 44s and 47s to have a higher lumen per diode. But you are 100% right x2 blocks of x8 diodes can do 6,000 lumen. But they use x4 to drive them at a more conservative power level for longevity. Even the Sony ones i have here do the same x4 blocks of x8 diodes to get 6,000 lumen with similar diodes to 08s. Now the water cooling is a very nice touch. And having a redundant set of blocks is great these projectors should easily last 40,000h - 60,000h maintenance free just cleaning filters.

Back