Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Li-ion batteries

old4570 I'm kind of surprised you advocate recharging when discharged to 3.8v, but not limiting the upper charge to 4.1v - which is 90% capacity anyway (assuming held at 4.1V to saturation rather than disconnection at 4.1V).

There's a fantastic website which gives some stats on charge-discharge cycles under various conditions (one of which is 4.1V charge) here:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

"Every 0.10V drop below 4.20V/cell doubles the cycle"

I must admit I'm mean to mine and take them up to 4.2V saturation ;)

Last edited:

A decent charger should take a good battery to 4.2v , and when it settles it may be 4.18 or 4.19v depending on internal resistance ...

Wrong. Internal resistance only affects the battery voltage under load. Since a multimeter has practically infinite resistance, the voltage drop on the internal resistance is zero.

U like taking things out of context don't you .. Got nothing better to do , don't have any friends

gMYSL.gif

Instead of addressing the issue, you try lame insults? I've got a much thicker skin than you think I do. If you are unable of defending your position, just leave. You'll look like a fool if you can't discuss things calmly.

Take from this what you will , but why would you be such a dick about safety ? Is it wiser to avoid problems , rather than go sucking for them ?

63tsP.gif

I'M being a dick about safety? You're the one telling people they might die in a house fire, and their cells will blow up!

I guess ignorance is bliss , what you don't know wont worry you ..

oQtsfgg.gif

You're like the guy that tells people not to swim in the ocean because they might get eaten by a shark. Learn some statistics, you dolt.

Last edited:

Teej

LOL

If you drive around with a full tank of gas, you get worse mpg, and, its more work for your engine, transmission and tires, etc, and, you can't accelerate or brake better with a full tank than with a 1/4 tank of gas, etc....

And, yet, most people fill their tank at the gas station if possible.

Why?

Its convenience.

If driving around with a mostly empty tank, you have to stop to add more gas more often....and, the difference in the longevity of the vehicle may not matter to people when weighed against the convenience, etc.

So, if you want to drive around with a 1/4 tank, or a full tank, there's no wrong or right answer except for you...and you're own priorities.

As people's priorities will be different, some will fill up, and some will get a few gallons at a time.

The problem will be if they get missionary about it, and tell the other group that one position is right and the other is wrong.

So, I think the 3.8 v charging issue falls under this category of issues...it will be fine for some, and not for others.

Pman

The issue I have with this thread is it feels like we are all being attacked for no reason.You need to work on your deliverance;) Please tone it down.
By the way, there's lots of threads on batteries and safety already. Not sure why this couldn't have been posted in one of them.
This is NOT the way to go if you plan on staying. Fair warning.

I like having the best quality i can afford so when it came to battery choices I went with Nitecore products. I recently bought this battery charger because Gearbest offered it to members here on a great deal/ Opus BT-C3100 V2.1 Li-ion NiCd NiMh LCD Smart Intelligent Battery Charger with EU Adapter-42.54 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
It can refresh batteries by charging and then discharging them 3X, you can also choose what A you charge at along with other nice features.

So from what I have read here and other places when charging slower is better and its best not to let your bat discharge too low before recharging. So what is too low and is it bad for batteries if you recharge them when at say, half charge? I was told that this creates a "memory" and makes you battery hold less of a full charge. Is that true?

To the OP- Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and tips. I think you're flying off the handle a bit regarding cypragon criticism. He's not the most soft spoken kinda guy but he damn sure knows what he is talking about and is quick to challenge people to defend their words if he disagrees. This is a good thing. Try not to take it personally because if anything you will learn more about your position by defending it or learn that you have gaps in your understanding. Either way its a win win for you.

Last edited:
Who knew a technology we've been using for decades was going to bring about the end of human kind...

Like I get that lithium ion batteries can go a bit nuclear if mishandled, but so can gasoline, propane, and a ton of other things we use as fuel/power. Its kind of a given when you store a lot of energy in a small space.