Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lens cap for Daedal's DIY Laser Torch

jayrob

First I tried an empty film container but it was too small...even to heat it to soften the plastic. I found out in the garage, a can of engine degreaser which had a black cap which was perfect! Just a little heat with a small lighter type torch to soften the plastic, then carefully push it in place to let it cool in its new shape. I used a different MXDL flashlight to make sure not to slip and damage the Laser Torch. This lens cap works great! Tight fit too. The only thing is obviously not to accidently turn the laser on with the cap in place. Those of you who have made this awesome DIY torch know it is something that you want to protect! Because it is an excellent burner! Props to Daedal!!!
Jay

Attachments

• Dscn0709.jpg
    Dscn0709.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 555

jayrob

Picture with cap installed....

Attachments

• Dscn0711.jpg
    Dscn0711.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 375

xgeek

Jay that looks great. I am going to try and make one for the 2 I have left.

Good job!!!

XG

S

SenKat

One suggestion - where the beam WOULD hit the cap if it were turned on - cut a small hole there, and glue a piece of white, or light red plastic there. It will light up if you accidentally turn it on, and let you know that it is on, but will not burn through ;-) That cap looks like a perfect fit, man - great work on that !

jayrob

Thanks to everybody for those compliments...I have found other caps since this first one. Most of the caps seem to be the same size. Even the cap from a WD-40 can will work! (this one is red, so you can see if the laser is on...like Senkat suggested) Some caps have little tabs inside that need trimming. Most of the newer caps are pretty thin but will work fine. The thicker, the better in my opinion...
Jay