Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED current draw?

GSS

Newbie question,,
I bought a 5 pack of the cree 14500 flashlights and noticed that there was no difference in brightness between 1 AA alkaline at the usual 1.5V and a "Trustfire" 14500 at 3.7V+
I tried a Efest 14500 and the brightness was a huge difference. I mentioned the 5 pack as there's always dud with these cheapie lights but they all responded the same.
Iv'e used these Trustfires on my laser pointers plenty and they perform well on a 100mW unit's and more and couldn't tell a difference between them and the Efest's so I guess what i'm asking is doe's a LED need that much more current? Totally knowing the deal with "Trustfires" they cannot be that bad to not power a so called 200 or 300 lumen light over a single AA??

Last edited:

Hi GSS
Alkaline cells are 1.3 V lithium ion are 4.3v that’s way more V . When I salvage a led from a host I hook them up to a lithium and fasten it over my work when I need extra light. Like setting drivers and bridging resistors. They work great

Rich

GSS

Hi GSS
Alkaline cells are 1.3 V lithium ion are 4.3v that’s way more V . When I salvage a led from a host I hook them up to a lithium and fasten it over my work when I need extra light. Like setting drivers and bridging resistors. They work great

Rich
Hi Rich, oh I know regular cells run at 1.5V but was surprised the Trustfire 14500 at 4.1V charge didn't make any difference in brightness.
The Efest 14500 brightness difference was huge.

The EFest are true IMR cells and they don't sag under load like those cheap ******Fire cells so they maintain a higher voltage under load.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

1000's of post's of how bad these "****fire's" cells are and I still thought they had a use of some kind.:whistle: 1 of these 14500 ***fires was actually less bright in the Cree than 1 Sunbeam alkaline AA from the dollar store:rolleyes:.
The 10440's seem to be Ok. Probably got a counter fit "****fire" from what "****fire counter fitted or they re rapped some cheaper cell.:)

I have a few xxxxfire and other misc. cells that are half way decent and I use them for low drain items such as 50-100mw 532's and such, I typically don't buy the 7-10 dollar a piece cells for my many low drain items, but in anything high drain I use good IMR/INR cells.

It really shows with something like a nubm44 if using only 2 x 18650's the EFest will hold up well enough to give you several minutes of 1 minute runs but the cheap cells sag below cutoff after the first 30 seconds.

So it's ok to buy the bargain cells for low drain IMHO

---edit---

I forgot to mention, many of those small/pocket led flashlights will have a buck/boost driver that will make use of anything you put in battery wise, so many will work with a 1.5v alkaline cell or a 3.7-4.2v Li

Also some of the cheap li cells will do ok at first but fail after a few dozen charge cycles so I try to find a deal on reasonably good 2nd tier cells, the ultrafires I actually have are several years old and are the pedigreed survivors.

Last edited:

GSS

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ is what I wanted to hear..
:)
Like I mentioned the ****fire's seemed ok for up to 100mw's of 532.
Was running the 1 14500 ****fire on a 190mw+ of 532 an seemed nice and bright, just took it out and and tried the Efest, huge difference.
I have a pair of black labeled protected 18650's ***fire's that are pure survivals also. They have some good weight to them which i'm sure are re raps from nice nice cells and not sand.
I'm do to get a LPM to review today from member Foodson. Good timing!

Last edited:
I have some Ultrafire 18650s that are still measuring 2000 mAh after 5 years of use. I don't use them for my more powerful builds, but they work fine in my lower power ones. These are cells I bought before I knew any better, so I haven't purchased any more for a long time.

GSS

I believe they were also my first ever 18650's I purchased;)
Then I bought a 4 pack of all blue's with no markings what so ever that 1 came DOA but surprising still ok on 2 of them.
Then I bought the "famous" red GTL 16340's at 2200mAh:ROFLMAO:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Glad to hear you’re getting a LPM Peter. :) (y)
Next, up a spectrometer. :p jk

GSS

Glad to hear you’re getting a LPM Peter. :)(y)
Next, up a spectrometer. :p jk
There's a new member Foodson who's actually from the UK;) who sent me one he built for the price of shipping to give my review and thoughts. I'm pretty psyched as also receiving a M03 525 at 1W+ from are friend Lifetime:p

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Wow, great deal from both ends. :) Have fun playing around and measuring that 525! I can only imagine how great it will look in person.

Peter, that 525nm laser was likely measured for power by Rich before he sent it to you. That will give you a ~1000 mW one to compare with on that LPM you are getting. Also, the 532nm that you got from me will give you ~200 mW as long as you use the better batteries with it.

GSS

Yes i'm curious to see as Rich stated 1.1W+ on his Laserbee..
Paul, that's the exact Apllighting 200mw module unit I was using the 14500 Trustfire on "ALL" this time and I thought it was greatly bright till I tried the Efest earlier today.. Just wow what a difference. It's like I got a new laser!

Yeah, those ~200 mW 532nm lasers are pretty bright. I have never had a problem getting a good beam shot with one. But, it does use a 1+ watt pump diode so you need a good battery or it won't give the rated power. I'm glad you finally got one so you can see what they can do.

there was no difference in brightness between [cell types]

"difference in brightness" based on your subjective non-linear organic detectors (aka eyeballs), or something accurate? What is the current draw from their respective sources?

Could it be that your lights have a constant current driver? Or am I missing something obvious?