Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lazerlitious

additude

Hello everyone. I wish you all the best and I hope life if being good to you.
I've been involved with electronics most of my life and have only tinkered with lasers up until around November of last year. Then I started realizing that lasers can do some cool stuff and there is a lot to learn from them. So, I bought myself a pair of laser safety goggles and started reading and investigating and purchased a couple of green laser pointers, then picked up a couple of NUMB44 and SXD drivers and have been trying to gut one laser pointer and remake it into a super laser pointer. But I am not done with that project yet. But it brought me to this recommended forum.
Thanks for having this forum and thanks for all that everyone does here.

Welcome to LPF

The NUBM44 makes a lot of waste heat, so a small green pointer housing most certainly won't be enough heat sink, also the divergence of the NUBM44 is really aggressive, you will get a 2 inch long line rather than a spot at just 15 feet with a G2 lens and about a 1 inch long line at 15 feet with a G8 or 3EB ( 3-element blue AR coated ) only with a 3EB you will lose 2 watts out of 7 due to edge clipping inside the lens barrel.

A better choice would be a NDB7875 good for about 3W @ 2.3A

Make certain you wear the appropriate laser safety glasses to attenuate any specular or diffuse reflections when working with lasers over 5mw.

additude

Thanks for that bro. I have seen the divergence that you mention, from my "second" NUBM4... I did purchase some "real" laser glasses, not a "give away" pair. I can barely see the blue light with the real pair.

additude

Thanks. This is the heatsink I have it set in. It's part of an assembly with an SXD Driver, separate polarity protection, battery compartment/switch.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 1