Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lazerer 405nm kit

I'm new to building lasers and am wondering if this parts list would make a good laser.
Also if there is a better kit around, let me know.
Diode- Pioneer BDR-206 12x Laser Sled with 500mW 405nm Laser Diode
Driver- Power Buck 2A Switching Driver for 445nm / 405nm Laser Diode
(Preset to 500mA)
Host- DIY Empty CLASSIC Host for Laser Pointer ( Complete Set )
Battery- **Upgrade Pack** 18650 / 16340 li-ion Battery + Charger**

Will that host dissipate the heat well?
Also I have some CPU thermal paste. Will that work?

I'm new to building lasers and am wondering if this parts list would make a good laser.
Also if there is a better kit around, let me know.
Diode- Pioneer BDR-206 12x Laser Sled with 500mW 405nm Laser Diode
Driver- Power Buck 2A Switching Driver for 445nm / 405nm Laser Diode
(Preset to 500mA)
Host- DIY Empty CLASSIC Host for Laser Pointer ( Complete Set )
Battery- **Upgrade Pack** 18650 / 16340 li-ion Battery + Charger**

Will that host dissipate the heat well?
Also I have some CPU thermal paste. Will that work?

The host is nice, but that driver has some nasty start up spikes. I would suggest a different driver... and welcome to the forum.

I read some more on the forum. I want the beam visible for a class presentation. Should I go with a 532nm kit instead? I'm having a hard time finding one on the forum.

Class presentation with kids around??? you should just get a normal presentation unit. Even a 5mW 532nm unit is going to look really bright in that surrounding.

If your looking for a beam so the kiddies can see it if it were me I would prolly go with a 30mW unit and use some fog juice of some sort with others around in a school setting all safety issues should be addressed first... ALL of the safety aspects.

I think I will just end up taking a video because lasers in school is a bad idea in itself.

I think I will just end up taking a video because lasers in school is a bad idea in itself.

If you could get the right kids and all known safety precautions it would be a great teaching aid and neat too. :beer:

I would consult with the teacher beforehand, and ask him to hold onto the laser as soon as you bring it to school, and give it back to you after... prevents annoying kids from asking you to play with it.

For presentation purposes, don't go with 405nm either... it is not very visible at all.

Lastly, you may want to reconsider the lazerer kit... see Jayrob's build kits in the Pro section instead, they are MUCH better.

^^^ that is exactly what I was going to suggest- be sure to inform that this was necessary due to the danger of having an actual laser in school.

the mindset of most is based upon the 1 mW red cat toy- those days are gone and any kiddo with an alowance can now buy a very dangerouse laser- you cannot stress too much the danger of these- :thinking:

and it still would make some only want one evenmore- bringing a laser to school is too tempting and even if the owner knows what NOT to do once he /she hands it over to a friend it will be pointed in all the wrong places- seen it many times even with normally sane adults- one important thing to convey to students is the fact that intentionally aiming any laser at aircraft is no longer JUST a felony-- its s FEDERAL offence!! and is not taken lightly- plus not knowing it was an illegal thing to do will not help in any way.

They will all be banned some day:cryyy: all we can hope for it that it does not happen soon. Never pass up any chance you have to enlighten ANYONE about the danger.:whistle:Also showing a laser popping baloons or lighting matches puts a lot of BAD ideas in the minds of young people- the vast amjority who come here for advice ask the same question- 'what laser can I get cheap that will cut blacktape and light fireworks'- this is a red flag that should never be ignored.

SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Number One concern--hak

+3 for you Len.

Only a matter of time until they are banned unfortunately.

I would talk to the teacher... a live demo is a better IMO, but care must be taken with lasers... definitely DO NOT let anyone else handle it aside from yourself.

I can't count how many times I have had people act stupid with a laser, when they asked me to see mine. Now if they do, I carry around a 5mW green.

Also side note...

one important thing to convey to students is the fact that intentionally aiming any laser at aircraft is no longer JUST a felony-- its s FEDERAL offence!! and is not taken lightly- plus not knowing it was an illegal thing to do will not help in any way.

Intentional or not doesn't matter, and just as much care should be taken not to point at cars, people, or animals. I'm far more scared of some numbnut pointing the laser at the driver of a bus, and causing a crash like that... a lot less room for error on the ground.

^^^ Great additional points IE +3 back at you-- I never pass up a chance to have a friendly' chat with those I com across using any laser in public- most are guys at clubs and parties and almost always aiming at the butts of the ladies- to me this is like aiming a gun at your back - you never point any gun at anything you do not want to shoot and therefore pointing a laser at a person or animal is the same- except you would be maybe blinding a person -- lasers have no place in a bar except if they belong to the DJ AND he knows what he is doing- aside from the C&V.. which most DJs have no clues about. If its over 5mW its not legal in public-

LIKE LASERS?? then you MUST support safe use 100%!!! always!

Len

Thanks guys,
Can anyone suggest to me a good kit that is the same or lower price?
Beam visibility is very important to me, but I hear green lasers are difficult to build with the crystal.

I will be sure to talk about laser safety!!

Does anyone have any ideas how I can set up the laser so no one in the room can see the dot, just the beam? Of course I will be wearing goggles so I don't count.

I was thinking of setting up a box that the laser shines into. I could paint it black inside and put some metal on the inside so there arent any holes.
It would be sort of like a bullet trap except for lasers...

Right now Im really tempted to just buy a green laser and present, but that would take most of the fun out of the project.

Not sure there are cheaper alternatives out there... With a green laser, you wouldn't really be building it anyway, you would basically assemble it. Green lasers come as modules already made, no need to add your own driver.

Go through the Pro section, I'm sure Jay, or someone else has a decent, relatively low price kit. Although with lasers, costs are not super low...

To keep the beam visible, without the dot, do exactly what you described... it's called a beam dump, search for it, you'll see lots of hits on here.

Obviously building a laser is a different experience, but depending on budget, buying a 50mW green laser would probably end up being a lot cheaper for you.

Edit: One last thing, in the future, if you have more to add to the post/another though, use the EDIT button :)

Last edited: