Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasorb: Effective Distance from Laser Diode?

smana

Available literature seems to imply the Lasorb diode protection device needs to be connected to within 1cm (1cm maximum distance) from the laser diode pins. If the Lasorb device is located/connected too far away from the laser diode, the ESD protection which the Lasorb is meant to provide, decreases significantly

If a copper back-half heatsink is used, this makes meeting the 1cm maximum distance requirement difficult to meet because the copper back-half is longer than 1cm and there is no room to attach the Lasorb within 1cm of the laser diode pins.

If I connect, via 2-3cm long silicone wires, the Lasorb device and solder the silicone wires themselves close to the diode pins while the Lasorb device itself is greater than 1cm away from the laser diode, will this work or is it still considered a violation of the 1cm max distance requirement?

If your Back-Half heatsink covers (Sheilds) the 2-3cm wires
and you mount the Lasorb as close as possible to the Diode
you should be fine... Hard to really tell since I haven't seen
a pic of the Back-Half heatsink you are using.

Jerry

smana

thank you for your response.

I wonder why the Lasorb needs to be so close to the diode, as long as it intercepts a current spike anywhere before it reaches the diode?

I mean, why can't the Lasorb be closer to the driver output leads instead?

Last edited:
Think of wires as also being Antennas....
They can also pick up Spikes from external sources.
That's why some wires are Shielded.

Jerry

kecked

Also the rise time is so short on these pulses it would not have time to react

I believe the Lasorb will help at any distance from the diode but it could certainly work better the closer it is. The chances of the wires leading to the diode picking up electrons depends on its environment. If everything is in a metal housing then it is basically shielded anyways. I always twist my wires as an added precaution because it will help eliminate electromagnetic interference.

smana

Also the rise time is so short on these pulses it would not have time to react
Time to react? Time for the Lasorb to react to the spike?

Isn't the Lasorb made to react to spikes with short rise times?