Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasertel LT-2000

Anyone ever dink with one of these 3W 880nm fiber jobs? I have a pair, the two wires are bridged together at the connector for what I believe must be the negative input.

I've googled and went to their web page to find a spec sheet, found a similar device, but not this old one:

Edit: I just found this page, the maximum reverse voltage is the same as the operating voltage, I will assume the leads are negative, case positive, drive to 1.5 volts and see if I get any output, push it up a little towards 1.75 VDC and if I don't get any output then, I will research more:

http://bjsyntony.com/Fiber.pdf

I've never seen an IR package like this which wasn't case positive, just didn't want this to be the first if I applied voltage.

Last edited:

diachi

Anyone ever dink with one of these 3W 880nm fiber jobs? I have a pair, the two wires are bridged together at the connector for what I believe must be the negative input.

I've googled and went to their web page to find a spec sheet, found a similar device, but not this old one:

Edit: I just found this page, the maximum reverse voltage is the same as the operating voltage, I will assume the leads are negative, case positive, drive to 1.5 volts and see if I get any output, push it up a little towards 1.75 VDC and if I don't get any output then, I will research more:

http://bjsyntony.com/Fiber.pdf

I've never seen an IR package like this which wasn't case positive, just didn't want this to be the first if I applied voltage.

You'd think both wire colours would be the same if they were both for the cathode. That said, I've seen stranger things.

Can that "jumper" be removed from the connector? Perhaps it's just there to short the pins for ESD protection? Weird way to go about it...

Let us know how you get on! :beer:

Last edited:
I tried both ways, no output, I'm starting to think there is a lead shorting bar between those two wires which gets excluded, once inserted into a joining connector, and the voltage goes across those two wires.

Huh. It is an interesting item. Hope you are able to have some success with it. You would think it would give some output before you damage it, but that is assuming it worked when you got it.

I found that the two input wires were indeed shorted together inside the little plastic connector to protect the diode(s). Once removed from the plastic end, one wire is common to the case, the other not. I will try again tonight.

I'm surprised your PS didn't show the short when you tried to apply a forward voltage to it. All of mine sure would. I would never exceed the maximum reverse voltage until I was absolutely sure of the polarity. Even at 1.2 volts you should see some output if it was polarized correctly.

I never came close to exceeding the maximum allowable reverse voltage, as well as turned the voltage up from zero very slowly and had current limiting set low, that's the joy of using a nice Xantrex lab power supply. Yes, it did act shorted to me, I just didn't share all my thoughts, that's why I took it apart to see what was going on. Same current draw at 1 volt either way, that spells short to me.

Update: Success. Blue wire neg., brown plus/case common. There be 880 nm here 2 VDC @ 4.5 A. :)

Last edited:
I see. Well, congrats on getting it working. :yh:

Last edited: