Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers to recharge UAV's

I searched the forum before posting this expecting to find something, and maybe I missed it, but couldn't find anything to my surprise. I subscribe to Popular Mechanics, and this month's mag. had an artical about how the military is using lasers to recharge UAV's. It was a short blurb, but was pretty cool to see, and honestly felt like a baby step closer to Tesla's dream ;-) I'd post a link to the article, but I'm unfamiliar with the rules regarding links to other sites.

You can also do a Google search on Laser energized UAVs..
I've read quite a few articles on the subject.

You can post links on the Forum using the "Insert Link" icon
in the Quick Relpy window.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Thanks for sharing, I had heard about the concept, but completely missed this article. I am going to have to renew my subscription :)

Last edited:
It's not a UAV but these can be powered by a 200mW laser just fine :) It's cool to "remote control" them with lasers.

Ash

I just read about this yesterday and I have to say that I am quite intrigued at the idea and want to know more about the specifics involved in the technology.
This is one serious beamtable :drool:
LaserUAV-02-0712-de.jpg

Here's a link to the pop mech article:
How It Works: Laser Beaming Recharges UAV in Flight - Popular Mechanics

norbyx

It is interesting but I don't see why not put the photo cells on top of the drone and use the sun to recharge the battery...!!!

Ash

Well, with that particular uav used in the indoor 48-hour demonstration, it could only run two hours before needing a recharge. So it wouldn't be useful for very long at night without the sun to charge it.