Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers into Australia

Hi All,

I purchased a "200mw" green laser for my dad many years ago to assist with his astronomy, which has now died. He has had 2x customs warnings ordering single lasers to try and replace it.

He's become a collector over the years with vintage gas filled tube lasers and all sorts before my time. I'd like to be able to help him continue his collection long term too..

The laws have tightened since that one was purchased that's for sure! Browsing the forums I saw a number of Aus members with vast amounts of lasers exceeding the legal restrictions...

Would one simply have to be playing customs roulette to get them imported?

Im about to order a bunch of 18650 torches for myself, and figure that might be a good time to throw in a replacement...?

We have all the necessary eyeware, check live flight paths etc to ensure no potential issues there. We're the 1%rs who use lasers safely, like members of this forum! Just wondering how to approach acquiring a replacement.

Im also fascinated about these phat beam blue lasers, for my own entertainment - would love to be able to get one.

I apologise if this breaks forum rules...

Paradox

Actually, building your own laser is quite easy there as they only confiscate pointers. You can get hosts, diodes, drivers and lenses in with no problem. That is how many do it there. Please introduce yourself in the welcome sub forum. People will be more likely to help you if they know a little about you.

Gazen

If you’re interested in components you can get them from survivallaser, dtr and his amazon shop, and eBay. I’m not sure if these all wil ship to Australia.

Bosley

Is laserpointerstore a legit site and does it have items in stock in its oz warehouse?

For example, can I buy a Thor Ultra 5W from the site and receive it without it going through customs?

GSS

Unfortunately are good Aussie member and moderator is going through some personal issue's and would be the best with how to work with the AU custom's..:(
Laserpointerstore might claim some type of Custom's warrentee but I wouldn't put to much stock in the sights claims.
To give them some credit he has ok prices on the Thors and other cheap entry level units but I cannot say the same for his other things like his toy level gimmick LPM and Sanwu knock offs.
Building one yourself "might" just be the only true option. Used to be shipping a laser in a few pieces separately worked to some degree, but can't say it will work now??
This is a very addictive "I wan't my laser now" hobby but before you pull any trigger it's best to be patient. Also read up on safety as 5W's of laser is no joke..
Tell us what you do know??:)

Last edited:
Is laserpointerstore a legit site and does it have items in stock in its oz warehouse?

For example, can I buy a Thor Ultra 5W from the site and receive it without it going through customs?
A couple of things - this thread is months old, try to avoid posting in threads that aren't recent.

You might be alright ordering from LPS since they do have an Oz warehouse - but we're not that company - so for the best answers here, contact them directly.

I will warn you strongly against the purchase of a 5W laser (or really anything anywhere close to that) for your first laser. 5W is a lot of power, and really is quite dangerous. If you can't be convinced against this - you must make sure that you have adequate eye-protection as even a tenth of that power would be enough to cause irreversible eye damage almost instantly, and a hundredth of it could cause some very bad temporary blindness if an accident were to happen.

For that much power, cheap eBay or equivalent laser goggles really aren't suitable and you should look into getting a pair of high-performance goggles which can block light of the blue band (the wavelength you specifically want to attenuate is 445nm). The usual brand recommendation here is Eagle Pair from SurvivalLaser, but this company is US based so there may be better alternatives local to you.

Take care - you only have one set of eyes and you don't want to ruin them by being stupid with a laser.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I think 'quite' dangerous is an understatement personally. I would also strongly advise against getting a 5W if still new to lasers. Start with lower power lasers first. Get to grips with laser safety. You need to be aware of potential reflections , and at that power level the potential to burn objects in your home. There are other members from Australia on here, I hope some pipe up.

GSS

Laserpointerstore has a AU warehouse? How would they sell anything over 1mw?

Hi Yup what GSS said and if you send as a gift no tariffs on you . GB has these tariffs and Canada ,Spain,ETC..

Rich:)

I often get or send laser parts as LED parts. It isn't a total lie as these are light emitting diodes, but they seem to get less attention than anything labeled laser pointer. Five watts is a great deal of power and you should already be familiar with lasers of less power before getting or building one of these. Back when I joined this forum the highest power available was the 7875 at 3 watts. I still have one in an MS-SSW-II host. I had been involved with lasers of much lower power since 1980, though and even bought some class IIIB laser diodes to try before I got into the higher powered ones.

Bosley

The one I have is this one https://www.hammersurvival.com/products/gtx-series-high-power-tactical-green-laser
I tried contacting laserpointerstore but they haven't replied, and there member here, Tommy I think his name is, hasn't been active for a while. Yes there website says they have a warehouse in Sydney.
I might just get one of the blue 1W types a couple of people on ebay are selling from within oz and on gumtree.

Hi,
If your going to get that laser you posted , ask them not to send the battery thats enough to have customs hold it. maybe someone else can chime in if I am wrong about this.

Rich:)

The one I have is this one https://www.hammersurvival.com/products/gtx-series-high-power-tactical-green-laser
I tried contacting laserpointerstore but they haven't replied, and there member here, Tommy I think his name is, hasn't been active for a while. Yes there website says they have a warehouse in Sydney.
I might just get one of the blue 1W types a couple of people on ebay are selling from within oz and on gumtree.

The laser you linked to is a solid state #303 that can be had on eBay for $5.00 or less in some cases. If you are able to buy a 1 watt, it will likely be a 445nm blue. Those should be fairly inexpensive, but often aren't. You could build one for $60.00 in total and it would likely be a better laser than a gattling or other cheap laser.

Bosley

I've picked up the black Xtelary one from oz_wonderland on ebay, waiting for it to arrive. Not sure what the power is, but it takes 2 16340 batteries so I imagine it's around 1W.
I wouldn't know where to start as far as building one goes. I'm guessing you mean buying all the separate parts and putting them together, including the external shell, rather than lathing up and hollowing out chunks of steel, skills of which I don't particularly have and machines I don't own or have access to.