Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers & Eyes

Razako

hawks1282 said:
I was wondering this as well . . . what are the power levels where safety glasses :cool: should be used. Obviously you shouldn't look into any laser that's powered on, but where do reflections off glass become dangerous as compared to more diffuse reflections? Is there any set of rules that can be followed?
If the beam hits you directly in the eye you need goggles for anything above 5mw. Reflections start becoming more hazardous as you go above 30mw. Generally glass will reflect 5-10% of the light back at you. With a 30mw that is no big deal. With a 300mw laser the reflection alone can do serious damage.

Why is there a need to list which lasers and what output you have, placed
with the posts in the laserpointer forum????
Seems alot like 'Mine's bigger than yours'.......
or is there a legitimate reason for those posts????

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder? Your posts to date are very adversarial. Some of these people are proud of the lasers they have and frankly what does it have to do with eye safety since this thread is about safety?

i think it should be noted (since there was a question about it) that laser light travels in a ray, or straight line from the point of origin. That being said looking directly into a laser (never do that) is dangerous.

Now a laser dot is ALSO DANGEROUS since concetrated laser light is being bounced into your eye. Teh concentration of this light dependes on the surface you are bouncing off of and its chemical and reflective properties..

Now the point of that is to say this:

Looking at laserbeams is fine.. point them up in the sky and enjoy them.. stand behind them and point away.. Dont look directly at laser dots close up (close up is reletive to the power of the laser) and wear protection when doing anything other then pointing at stars...

If the thought of looking into a laser is making you crazy, and you just must see in there, I have a safe suggestion. First do not look with your eyes! Use a projection or camera approach. The camera is expendable your eyes are not! You may engineer a way with a filter and a greatly enlarged image, to photograph the lasers source, but leave your eyes to use another day.

Assuming that I got a DX 200 mW and took it on a camping trip, would it be dangerous for people's eyes if they were to look at the beam in the sky? What about the dot for a second or two, pointed at a rock or dirt or a leaf or something?

-Mark

Razako

rocketparrotlet said:
Assuming that I got a DX 200 mW and took it on a camping trip, would it be dangerous for people's eyes if they were to look at the beam in the sky? What about the dot for a second or two, pointed at a rock or dirt or a leaf or something?

-Mark
Looking at the beam in the sky is entirely safe. The dot should be safe as long as they are 100+ feet away from the dot.

ok i have a 300mw red laser 660nm am i damaging my eyes from this and also i have never turned it on before becouse i am waiting to get enough $ to buy some goggles.

wow , this has scared me straight!  :eek:

Im a new member and I know that looking directly at a beam
directly if death to eayes and know that reflections off objects
if also bad but not as bad as direct exposure but i did not know
that looking at a the dot on a wall close up was that harmfull

I do not have goggles/safety eye protection because i thought
i had been carefull with my first and recent build and had put it away
because of these risks (reflection/direct accidental exposure) but i will
stop being cheap and buy goggles/safety eye protection.

I am more interested in the green and blue/ violett wavelenths. I currently
have homebuilt 405nm and wondering if  i buy the 532nm wavelenth goggles
would cover the 405nm wavelength? (im shure its yes but reasurance is best)

Laser has been put away till i order and receive goggles!  ;) Thank you.

si12j12:

Yep goggles designed for 532nm do a great job of blocking out 405nm light as well. Most users on this board including myself use green protection when dealing with a 405nm lasers. So buy a pair of green goggles and enjoy your build. ;)

hello all.

a few questions.
first off, It might just be me but i had no idea the direct danger that could be caused.. this thread is a serious eye opener and should be pointed out in spyders thread on how to build your first laser!!!

second.. if i have a bunch of ebay laser moduls all 5mw is it safe to shoot at people while they are dancing?? will an IR filter be really important for this? will i blind a bunch of people? im scared now lol!! my hole plan could be a very bad one.

also a true 30 is cool to use indoors and for beams above peoples heads and stuff right??

diachi

5mW is eye safe, and you wont need to worry about IR. Although I don't imagine that 5mW of green in the eye would be too pleasant.

But as for 30mW I wouldn't recommend it, its a little to bright. Unless its going to be in a projector of some sort.

-Adam

joebone said:
hello all.

a few questions.
first off, It might just be me but i had no idea the direct danger that could be caused.. this thread is a serious eye opener and should be pointed out in spyders thread on how to build your first laser!!!

second.. if i have a bunch of ebay laser moduls all 5mw is it safe to shoot at people while they are dancing?? will an IR filter be really important for this? will i blind a bunch of people? im scared now lol!! my hole plan could be a very bad one.

also a true 30 is cool to use indoors and for beams above peoples heads and stuff right??

shining lasers at any person isnt good laser educate.  Just makes people into haters... which is totally understandable. I dont like any kind of laserlight in my eyes....

I accidentally hit myself in the eye today playing with a 5mW green from a reflection off a mirror. It hurt a little, and left a gray spot there for a minute or two. I wouldn't ever intentionally shine it in someone's eyes, but I don't think it could do any lasting damage.

A 30mW, however, would be too bright for indoors. My friends sometimes complain that the dot from my 5mW on the wall a couple feet away hurts their eyes, so 30mW indoors is probably too much.

-Mark