Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers, drivers and power supplies

Hey guys i really didn't want to start a thread to answer my question but i cannot find the information anywhere, so here it is.

Sorry if this very noobish.

I want to make my very first laser and have looked at the threads explaining what will be needed, but i am a little confused about what mA my driver needs to be and dependent on that how much power will be needed.

I am placing an order on LazerLabs and here it is so far;

• LPC-815 20x DVD Burner Sled. 660nm, 250-300mW
  • AixiZ Module for 5.6mm Laser Diodes
  • GhostDrive2 (What driver current do i need)
  • UltraFire 18650 3000mAh 3.7V (Are the correct?)

I will be constructing this inside a box so i am able to get the grasp and learn how these things work before squeezing it into a nice torch like house.

Any help would be great.

Also any recommendations for a first build would appreciated.

Garry

Sorry to waste anyone's time who has read this but i think i know what driver i will need to run this laser.

I have read this but still don't really know what logic goes into selecting the current required on the driver.

Can someone point me to a thread containing this information ?

Also any recommendations on a first build would still be appreciated.

here's Haks two cents.......

• LPC-815 20x DVD Burner Sled. 660nm, 250-300mW dont get that-instead go to a source of a virgin 826- (o-like) the pins on a 815 sled diode are extememly short for your first build- the diode (for me anyhoo) was a real bitch to get free from the HS & the 826 is s better choice power-wise IMO
  • AixiZ Module for 5.6mm Laser Diodes I suggest you spend a tad more and get the copper AixiZ and the AixiZ glass lens for red diodes.(the module comes only with the plastic one- not as good and harder to clean)
  • GhostDrive2 (What driver current do i need) unless you have DMM and a dummy load I suggest you ask Ghost to set that for you- he may want a small charge for this service but it will be worth it. IMO
  • UltraFire 18650 3000mAh 3.7V (Are the correct?) On this I would ask Ghost which one he suggests.
You may also consider a JAD Kit from the birthday boy-Moh. He does a lot of the steps for you and makes a first build a positive experience-plus you will not need to buy all the above parts--

Hope you have decent eye protection- a complete understanding on ESD & shorting ALL caps, and a good soldering station. Also you will need either to fashion your own pressing tool or get one made for that purpose. They need to be properly pressed and have a TINY bit of thermal paste between the diode can and the HS. Take GREAT care to NOT get any where you don't want it.

Hope this is accurate and helpful info.

Good luck and post up some pics for us!!! Len

Last edited:

Hiemal

It's okay! Also, try to edit your posts as opposed to doubleposting. It makes mods and other people angry. :)

Thank for the information Le Quack that is a great thread, everything is becoming slightly clearer. Sorry about the double post will ensure to tidy my trail up in future.

Hi hakzaw1 thanks for your input, its hugely appreciated

First and most important i will be getting eye protection. I have a nice soldering station and my iron has optional grown socket (that i will use). I am a little unaware of the phrase "ESD & shorting ALL caps" maybe i am running before i can walk.

I was hoping to get most supplies from one source as i will be shipping out to the UK, but if it makes for an easier build i will for sure get the diodes from another source.

I have been trying to find the JAD Kit from the birthday boy-Moh. Seems the search doesn't pick up such member. My budget for my first build is about £80.00 MAX, i don't want anything to technical but i want to feed my hunger for DIY.

E2a - I am an engineer by trade so will be making my own host's and hope to make a press.
Ee2a - I saw Mohrenberg but was under the impression he had stopped trading..
Gs

Last edited:
sorry I was not aware the Moh(mohenberg) has held a closing sale so all items are gone. However there are others who can help- try placeing a WTB(want ot buy)
thread in the BS&T section if you dont find what you need. Odicforce s UK and sells some great stuff that you may want. They too have an EZ kit, and have a great rep here.

ESD= Electro Static Discharge(IIRC)-- basically avoid killling diodes with static.

Capasitors hold a charge and must be shorted out before soldering ANYTHING to a LD.

sorry for the misinformation-- been too busy with stuff to spend as much time at LPF.

Len

edit added

this thread is a perfect example of why its somewhat important to put ones location in their PROFILE.. help offfered for UK may be different from USA or canada or italy or....or .... or...its a big world.

Last edited:
Hi Multimode

Yes i have taken a look at them as hakzaw1 suggested.

I am waiting for a few parts to be in stock but the following are in my basket.

• Mitsubishi High Power 660nm Red Laser Diode: 200mW+ CW or 340mW+ Pulse
  • Focusing Laser Host - Red or Blu-ray Lasers
  • High Power Red Laser Driver Board - Hand-held Lasers
  • CR2/CR123 Battery Charger with 2 CR2 Rechargeable Batteries
  • Professional Trimmer Tool
  • Anti-static Wrist Strap
  • 3-Element Collimating Glass Lens Assembly Coated for 630-660nm (Red) Lasers
  • Laser Safety Goggles EP2 For 200-380nm & 600-760nm (Red lasers)
  • Thermal Cement, 5g

I have also brought the parts and made a dummy load to set my driver current.

Once everthing has arrived i will get my first build online, cant wait :)

Realy did want to jump on a 653 or 445 build but though it would be best to at least get one build under my belt.

Iv been searching more shops in the uk but they are hard to find, does anyone know of any others?