Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers as a Weapon?

You acquired wisdom and experience :beer:

I'm still very much in favor of having a gun in the house, in the event of a zombie invasion! After all, 50% chance that it will happen. :na:

oops that fits better see, I learn something every day. thanks hahaha

Saving my scalar weapons for the zombie invasion, sshhhh:shhh::tinfoil:

I don't know where you're from, but yes, people DO break into people's houses and shoot them.

Straight up ignorance.

And thanks AJ, i'll run that by him.

oh also, you quoting me out of context, the very next line clearly sates anything could happen. I don't know if you saw that, I was not saying it cannot happen, I was saying its very low odds of such an event happening, without cause. For all I know the guy that got shot in the leg was selling crack and got shot by a fiend he would not front to, but I am willing to wager it happened for a reason. Not picking on you, just trying to help you make a good decision, not trying to troll you.

I do not fear a gun, if the person behind it can be reasoned with, if you really think your friend is in danger, a 454 comes to mind, nothing like a revolver the size of a pit-bulls head to make ppl think twice about shooting at you.

I know this, in Iraq ppl tried to kill me, they had reason but knowing this, I carried a m-16a2 until a convoy, I was a driver, commo guy at the time, A guy tossed a baby in front of me, and I had orders not to stop, so I swerved and hit the guy that tossed the kid, horrible but the best choice I could come up with on a moments notice, well just after that a 5 ton stopped directly in fount of me, and some guy was trying to pull me out my seat and had a big honking knife in his other hand, my m16 could not be used because of the angle, so I grabbed a 5lbs hand sledge and imploded the guys face, I still see it in my mind, wish I had a handgun. Don't wish you had a handgun, if you NEED on get it.

However I have been to Detroit, I saw the same pair of panties on the road for 4 months, right under a overpass, now one cleans that place so its dirty, but the ppl seem about the same as any other city to me, and nothing like Tikrit.

Now that I am no longer at risk, I don't feel I need a firearm, but we have a right to bear arms so if you must than do, but no blinding folks :p

What does your friend own worth someones eyes, or life for that matter. a cell phone makes a good weapon if someone is breaking in dial 911. Besides whats the worse that could happen, tell your "friend" to grow a pair :p don't be all scared of folks, and remember, keep you nose clean and it won't get broken.

So much fail.

Even more fail.

Your idea that a phone and calling for help is a better "weapon" than trying to defend yourself is what is full of fail. Your other idea that if you don't bother people, nothing bad will happen to you shows you don't understand how the world works. Sometimes people get attacked or robbed even if they didn't do anything to instigate it.

Last edited:
It is not for everyone but would work tons better than a laser, you hit me in the face with a laser it would give me a reason to shoot, thinking you could blind me before I squeeze a round into your head is the fail part. I personally do not care, its your life, all I know is non of my consumer tech or doodads or whatnot are worth a life, but to protect myself or others all bets are off.

I was making a point anyway, a laser for self defence is dumb. Try waking up from a dead sleep and aiming a laser at someones eye, now imagine hitting both of them and your scared. Good luck.

A gun, lead pipe, a skillet, a bowling ball. Many objects would serve you better than a laser, even a phone. You would just get yourself killed. I would put you in for a Darwin award so no worries.

Also if you blind him expect him to sue you. Also it would in time make it hard for anyone to own a laser, esp if folks started using them as weapons. A lead pipe though would not be subject to unfair laws.

Last edited:
So a friend of mine who goes to college in a pretty shady neighborhood was thinking about getting a gun in his home. He then said he was considering getting a laser, instead.

Is this legal? If somebody breaks into your house and threatens you with a gun could you technically use a laser as self defense? Pretty crazy, but I have no idea what the legality on this matter is, and I had no idea what to tell him.

Better options are to find another place that is safer. The cost of self defense even if justified will cost tens of thousands if not more. If a gun is pointed at you, a gun in your safe upstairs or wherever doesn't do you any good.

Lasers are useless for self defense. It's best to reason with them, retreat and call 911 or improvise with something to defend oneself. If your friend was trained well trained in close quarters combat, then he might have a better chance.

Don't fall into a false sense of security with something unproven.

Even more fail.

Your idea that a phone and calling for help is a better "weapon" than trying to defend yourself is what is full of fail. Your other idea that if you don't bother people, nothing bad will happen to you shows you don't understand how the world works. Sometimes people get attacked or robbed even if they didn't do anything to instigate it.

I do not understand how the world works, eh. While I will admit that that is true, you also are no expert. I was talking about someone breaking in his house with the intent to kill him, and though it happens its almost always for a reason, a laser would just be a reason. I live in a bad neighborhood, hell I grew up in East St Louis. 6 years ago my neighborhood was Balad, Iraq. Ppl do get robbed, but if someone breaks into your house with pure intent on shooting you, well you should have payed back that coke you got fronted. Hence the keep your nose clean part. :p As far as guns go I have no issue with using a gun to protect someones life or my own, but not to protect my computer or TV.

I don't get why someone wanting to defend their home from an intruder means they are a drug dealer. Why is he at fault if someone breaks into his home?

MojoLA

It's legal to use anything to protect yourself at home if someone is trying to break in or do you harm. If you were in that situation and actually worried if the weapon you had in your hand was legal to use you're either an idiot or just starting threads looking for attention.

And the whole "I'll blind them" thing is bunk - they would need to stand still, staring into your beam for at least a second to do that sort of damage, and you'd be lucky if you even managed to flash an eye for a split second.

A VERY interesting take on this I think most people don't consider is how many people are likely to react to having a laser shone at them in the dark; someone here who said they shone their laser at a guy on his property heard him say "don't shoot!"

That was very eye opening. It makes sense that A LOT of people will assume not that you have a "laser weapon" in your hand, but that you have a gun with a laser sight on it.

Now that MIGHT scare someone into running away, but I can also see it resulting in people who shine lasers at other people getting shot - and having a VERY justifiable excuse (I think any jury would accept that a person who saw a laser coming at him from the dark assumed it was attached to a gun).

Everyone wants to live in the age of Star Trek and desperately wants to believe their awesome new 2W laser that can pop balloons of ANY color can also stop an intruder dead in his tracks; in fact I have seen more than a few bull crap threads from kids who claim that their 5mw greenie stopped a rapid dog or a mugger, but we're just not there yet.

Ultimately, it's probably always going to be cheaper and easier to kill people with bullets.

Last edited:
So a friend of mine who goes to college in a pretty shady neighborhood was thinking about getting a gun in his home. He then said he was considering getting a laser, instead.

Is this legal? If somebody breaks into your house and threatens you with a gun could you technically use a laser as self defense? Pretty crazy, but I have no idea what the legality on this matter is, and I had no idea what to tell him.
run like hell lol

A laser as a weapon :thinking:

maybe you could hit em in the head with it :crackup:

I just finished this one, that is 2 pounds of copper with a stainless steel nose

Last edited:
Damn that would work as a throwing spike at least, to bad I would not throw a laser at someone as many cheaper objects would do the job, but that is a very nice focusing adapter. Grats on the design. Kinda reminds me of armor piercing bullet.

Best use I could think of for a laser in this situation is mounted in a scope ring so aiming my gun requires a lot less thought... :eg:

Last edited: