Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and Pyrolytic Graphite - Diamagnetic Levatation

So i spent a few hours experimenting with my pyrolytic graphite, and condensed it down into about 10 min of video.
HARD-CORE NERDS ONLY

I got it to move around with my laser, but my magnets were too wide to get it to jump to the next flux pinning position. need smaller cube magnets, not the flat wide ones i have, if i want to have some real fun with it.

I did a lot of different things in here, not all of them were exciting.
If your interested in doing this yourself it should help you get an idea of where to start.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Check out PresentTeck Labs for cool Projects, Art, and Explosions! :gun:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/presentteck
Youtube - www.youtube.com/presentteck :pop:

Last edited:

EDIT: I like this one best

Someone elses video. Not a perfect setup, but more what I was after

Last edited:
Interesting.

Is the third video correct in stating that heating modifies the magnetic susceptibility of the material, causing it to move? Or is it due to thermal currents/something else (such as an actual photonic effect)? It can't be radiation pressure, considering that the guy was moving it with a measly 500mw...

If the video is correct, then considering that magnetic susceptibility decreases when the laser illuminates a certain region (because the other regions must be higher (i.e. they have a greater magnetic susceptibility) to create tilt in the direction of motion), then decreasing temperature should increase the height at which the material floats, right? Have you tried sticking the stuff in the freezer?

To my understanding super conductors (graphine almost being one of them) work better when they're cold.
so it would make sense if the laser heating it up makes that spot work poorly, creating imbalance in the the applied magnatic force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism

I want to do this in liquid nitrogen now. I will next time I buy some, i have a small dewar.
also, my thoughts are that this should also work with a true super conductor

The effect of a magnetic field on a superconductor is distinct from its effect on a diamagnetic material, though. Superconductors experience the Meissner effect (as long as the field strength is below the critical value), while normal diamagnetic materials only experience minor magnetic repulsion.

While superconductors can be considered to be diamagnetic, diamagnetism is only a property of a material, while superconductivity is a state of a material. Or at least that's how I remember it. It's been a looong time since I was interested in superconductivity. :eek:

A very interesting experiment with lasers on a recently discovered allotrope of Carbon!

I wonder how good Pyrolytic carbon is at absorbing laser energy at varying wavelengths? Better DIY LPM material?