Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and airports

The batteries have to go in your checked carry-on baggage, see the TSA: Safe Travel With Batteries And Devices. This is just in case anything does go wrong with your batteries and they will be where they can be noticed, in your carry-on.

Ok thanks, So ill just put the laser in the bag with my clothes in a plastic bag and just carry the batteries. Now the other thing to be afraid of is the laser breaking from force.. Should I put it in the top or under my clothes.

Ablaze

Breaking is probably unlikely, but it would be safest from breaking in the middle of your bag.

Tonga

Ok thanks, So ill just put the laser in the bag with my clothes in a plastic bag and just carry the batteries. Now the other thing to be afraid of is the laser breaking from force.. Should I put it in the top or under my clothes.

The laser can also be in your carry-on baggage that will go in the over head compartment or under the seat in front of you. I pulled the plastic bag that it was in out and put it into the basket being scanned and then I repacked it in my bag afterwards (wrapped it inside some clothing to cushion it). But after I got through the gate scan I had some time to wait for the flight and I decided to take the laser back out of my baggage and clip it in my shirt pocket without the battery in it. It was small enough and it is not prohibited so this is what I did, carry it in my shirt pocket both flights no problem. If they had asked what it was however, I would not just tell them that it is a high powered burning laser I would have told them that it was a flashlight which when defocused is a very powerful flashlight!

mfo

Sorry mfo, Lithium batteries are indeed a prohibited item. The TSA just doesn't realize and/or acknowledge that they are in lots of devices. The only way you can get in trouble for them is if you take them out of your devices and carry them separately. I've checked up on this.

Much of what the TSA does defies conventional wisdom.

Loose batteries are prohibited in checked baggage because they could come into contact with another piece of metal and rupture. If they are in some sort of plastic holder as checked luggage items, they're good to go.

As far as carry on goes, they're 100% allowed.

When in doubt on what you may and may not bring on to a place, always check the offical TSA website.

Prohibited Item List: TSA: Prohibited Items

As someone already pointed out, there is a complete page on traveling with batteries here: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Of course given high power lasers questionable legal status, I might still look for alternate ways to get them there, although you *shouldn't* have any problems.

mfo

When in doubt on what you may and may not bring on to a place, always check the offical TSA website.

Prohibited Item List: TSA: Prohibited Items

As someone already pointed out, there is a complete page on traveling with batteries here: TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Of course given high power lasers questionable legal status, I might still look for alternate ways to get them there, although you *shouldn't* have any problems.

And do remember that the prohibited items list isn't all inclusive. The supervisor running the checkpoint has the power to disallow any item, for pretty much any reason they choose.

Ablaze

Loose batteries are prohibited in checked baggage because they could come into contact with another piece of metal and rupture. If they are in some sort of plastic holder as checked luggage items, they're good to go.

As far as carry on goes, they're 100% allowed.
When I called the TSA about a month ago and asked the person in charge what I could bring through check in she could find nothing about lasers so long as they did not have lithium batteries.

Obviously you know what a lithium battery is, but she had no idea. If she found a battery in check in luggage with the word "Lithium" printed on it she would confiscate it along with your shampoo.

Sorry to break it to you because you seem to be an intelligent guy, but the TSA in general is highly inconsistent and dysfunctional.

I gave some rep+ to everyone that helped me so thanks. Ill just take off the sticker and put it with my xbox and clothes. And just carry the battery with my other batteries that I will carry on. And thanks for the prohibited items list and lithium batteries instructions!

mfo

When I called the TSA about a month ago and asked the person in charge what I could bring through check in she could find nothing about lasers so long as they did not have lithium batteries.

Obviously you know what a lithium battery is, but she had no idea. If she found a battery in check in luggage with the word "Lithium" printed on it she would confiscate it along with your shampoo.

Sorry to break it to you because you seem to be an intelligent guy, but the TSA in general is highly inconsistent and dysfunctional.

Lol, you can bring what ever liquids you want in checked luggage, as long as they're not hazmat/flammable. If someone takes your liquids out of your luggage, you need to file a complaint (as long as it's not hazmat/flammable, shampoo is neither of the two).

Again, loose lithium batteries is they key word here. As long as they're in some sort of container to prevent them from coming into contact with metal, they're good.

Not just the TSA. Look at ANY government agency with more than a glance and you'll they are all inconsistent and dysfunctional.

Lol, you can bring what ever liquids you want in checked luggage, as long as they're not hazmat/flammable. If someone takes your liquids out of your luggage, you need to file a complaint (as long as it's not hazmat/flammable, shampoo is neither of the two).

Again, loose lithium batteries is they key word here. As long as they're in some sort of container to prevent them from coming into contact with metal, they're good.

I put them in a plastic cotntainer, I'm leaving in 4 days. I ussually get searched hard because I'm arab and my names Ahmed :D

Ablaze

Always refuse the body scan: If they want to look at your privates so badly make them wear gloves to do it.

Meh... I'll take a quick glance by some degenerate over having said degenerate actually grope me.

Of course if the TSA started recruiting girls from strip clubs, and groping occurred in the form of a lapdances... I bet the TSA's popularity would rise fast, and I mean can you imagine any guy having a problem forking over an extra $20 in such a situation:p

(We really need more smiley's on this forum. Such as the dirty old man smiley:eg:)

Last edited: