Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserland 532nm 40x69mm 200mW - DOA

Traxxtar

Received a new laser from Laserland today. It appears to be decent quality, big black aluminum housing, but tiny thin wires for power and ground out the back end.

Plugged into multiple 5VDC power adapters and it's DOA. No good.

Bummer!

Could it run on 12v ( driver ), the 808nm pump for a 532nm runs on 2.2-3v
Do you have any pics or a link to the add you bought from ?

If this is a truly 200 mW laser, it uses a 1 watt 808nm pump diode. It could run off a +5 volt source, but I need to see a link to confirm that.

The 1st question is does it have a driver or is it just a module with wires connected to the 808nm pump diode, if no driver then 5v would have blown it.

These are usually not sold alone, but come with a driver. I have never seen one offered without a driver. If you got this, somehow, as a lab host without any kind of driver you might as well throw it away now.

I have bought many without a driver, from the brass bullet style to the small lab type.

Here's some for sale without a driver

I have found laserlands china to have very good customer support. I bought a 200mw 532 and the unit was faulty. It dropped to 25mw after a few seconds. After supplying them with the LPM graph they gave a full refund.

I would contact them and see what they have to say. I assume you tried it with a proper driver. If you supplied it with 5 Volts then the pump diode will be blown.

I have bought many without a driver, from the brass bullet style to the small lab type.

Here's some for sale without a driver

These are all modules or module with a small heat sink attached. I doubt you will find a lab laser with a fan without a driver. The modules are brass, but he is talking about the black lab laser here.

paul where did you see OP say anything about a fan ?

OP SAID:

Received a new laser from Laserland today. It appears to be decent quality, big black aluminum housing, but tiny thin wires for power and ground out the back end.

Plugged into multiple 5VDC power adapters and it's DOA. No good.

Bummer!

Tiny wires for power and ground suggests red and black wires and OP said nothing about a fan, could be a 3V input driver and 5V may have been too much and if it was without a driver then 5v was too much.

I'm going to place my bet that OP bought this and it says 3V, I expect it has a driver inside but may not be able to stand 5v

Last edited:

Traxxtar

Admittedly I'm a bit new to lasers, so here's what I found. The packaging came with a label that showed 4.5v and rest was in Chinese. I tried the 5v and even 12v supplies and none worked. I then went back to their web site looking for more info. It showed (link below) that the 'working voltage=DC3V'. I then plugged in a LiPo 3.7v battery and like magic, it lit up!

I don't have any way to measure the actual output, but I can tell you it's MUCH brighter than my current 5, 15, and 50mW lasers. I do wish I could find one this powerful but smaller, about 16mm or so.

I'm glad it survived, is it that round unit ? That's a pretty cool looking piece, looks like it has a threaded mounting hole for a tripod.

Traxxtar

It seems very sturdy, all black aluminum with a copper or brass interior. It has a tripod mount hole as well.

Admittedly I'm a bit new to lasers, so here's what I found. The packaging came with a label that showed 4.5v and rest was in Chinese. I tried the 5v and even 12v supplies and none worked. I then went back to their web site looking for more info. It showed (link below) that the 'working voltage=DC3V'. I then plugged in a LiPo 3.7v battery and like magic, it lit up!

I don't have any way to measure the actual output, but I can tell you it's MUCH brighter than my current 5, 15, and 50mW lasers. I do wish I could find one this powerful but smaller, about 16mm or so.

Here's a 22mm housing and you can get the 12mm brass module and put it into your own housing, Lifetime17 can make you a host/housing the size you want.

You might also want to check out a 520nm direct, you can get a module with driver from DTR and put it into a housing of your choice.

It seems very sturdy, all black aluminum with a copper or brass interior. It has a tripod mount hole as well.

Yea it's pretty cool looking, it says 30 minute duty cycle with 5 min cool down without heat sink......but I'm not sure what they mean by " without heat sink " because it appears to be in a heat sink, I would make sure it doesn't get too warm if you're going to leave it run more than 30 min but 40mm x 93mm ( 1.5 x 3.5 inches ) is a pretty good size housing.

Last edited:

Traxxtar

For that 200mW module diode on eBay you linked, couldn't I just remove an existing module from a housing I already own and insert that one?

Laserlands have always been good to me, hopefully this will get resolved.
Edit... never mind sorry I didn't realize you got it fixed

For that 200mW module diode on eBay you linked, couldn't I just remove an existing module from a housing I already own and insert that one?
You could, but I would try to get a substantial heat sink to use if you are trying to use this longer than a few minutes. These do well in the little lab hosts that I talked about in an earlier post. You could leave it on indefinitely in one of those.