Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserGlow's Testing of Lasers?

Hello all,

I almost have the money to get the Anser and continue my collection for the rainbow and I started to wonder..

How does LaserGlow test their lasers? I hear responses from all over the place. some saying they stress test their lasers, other saying they just quickly LPM them and to be honest I am not quite sure which is right or wrong, which is why I came here to ask.

Thank you for all your responses :beer:

I believe LG uses 3x 20 minute testing periods on their lasers... but idk about <5mW lasers, those are <5mW anyways :thinking: in general, you can't go wrong buying from LaserGlow, they have some of the best reputation of all laser companies (and will replace any defective items immediately)

Last edited:
I believe LG uses 3x 20 minute testing periods on their lasers... but idk about <5mW lasers, those are <5mW anyways :thinking: in general, you can't go wrong buying from LaserGlow, they have some of the best reputation of all laser companies (and will replace any defective items immediately)

Great! Thank you hwang21 for your quick response :yh:

No problem. Make sure you post a review of your laser when you get it :beer: enjoy

EDIT: 1,532nd post! :p

Last edited:
No problem. Make sure you post a review of your laser when you get it :beer: enjoy

EDIT: 1,532nd post! :p

Sure, not a problem. I am also going next week and will bring my Libra. I don't think I will be able to get any beam shots but will try and get pictures of how far it illuminates :)

PS: I have a Android phone, so the pictures will be blurry.

Trevor

I believe they also profile the beams on a Coherent ModeMaster, in addition to a power test.

I seem to recall Justin saying something about that... I'll try to find the email.

Trevor

Every test I've gotten "as marked" on a LG laser has turned out to be conservative. In other words, I always LPMed them slightly higher than LG rated them at.

Basically LG buys CNI lasers and "bins them" based on real performance. Now, CNI is generally good in the first place; then you have LG doing specification and sorting, you're doing OK.

And I do have a few of them. They've also always been good with customer service. Remember they're in Canada so the shipping situation can be "interesting" sometimes as far as paying taxes, but they've got nothing to do with that whatsoever.

The thing about the Anser is that it has APC and an IR filter. When you're getting started like this, it's a really good benchmark 532 to have. For slightly less you can end up with a no-name 532 that varies wildly in output power, won't cold-start, and has no IR filter, and a who-knows-what beam profile.

Even in my absence I've been recommending the Anser as a "starter laser" to people. Looks like you got started with a cheap 5mw 650. Good job, "the first hit's cheap, then you're hooked" :)

I think you'll be impressed at how visible 532 is even at 5mW.

Every test I've gotten "as marked" on a LG laser has turned out to be conservative. In other words, I always LPMed them slightly higher than LG rated them at.

Basically LG buys CNI lasers and "bins them" based on real performance. Now, CNI is generally good in the first place; then you have LG doing specification and sorting, you're doing OK.

And I do have a few of them. They've also always been good with customer service. Remember they're in Canada so the shipping situation can be "interesting" sometimes as far as paying taxes, but they've got nothing to do with that whatsoever.

The thing about the Anser is that it has APC and an IR filter. When you're getting started like this, it's a really good benchmark 532 to have. For slightly less you can end up with a no-name 532 that varies wildly in output power, won't cold-start, and has no IR filter, and a who-knows-what beam profile.

Even in my absence I've been recommending the Anser as a "starter laser" to people. Looks like you got started with a cheap 5mw 650. Good job, "the first hit's cheap, then you're hooked" :)

I think you'll be impressed at how visible 532 is even at 5mW.

Haha, yes I am very excited for the Anser indeed.

My Libra should be arriving in Monday and I will be taking it camping, hopefully get some pics :whistle:

Justin

The testing methodology for our lasers varies by model, according to what the laser is designed to do. Our testing lab has a very impressive array of equipment: thermopile power meters, photodetector power meters, photodiodes, spectrometers, the aforementioned Coherent Modemaster, beam profilers, and that machine that goes "ping!" We like using that one, although we're not entirely clear on what it does.

The Anser has a 90-second duty cycle so obviously we can't test it for longer than that. These are tested using a power meter to establish the average and peak power within the specified operating period. High-powered portable lasers are tested for 20 minutes at a time, and the laboratory lasers go through a huge battery of tests which take many hours. Suffice it to say, we are very confident that our lasers do what we say they do.

"and that machine that goes "ping!" We like using that one, although we're not entirely clear on what it does" :D