Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserGlow Hercules 300mW+

Hi All,
Within the last month I acquired a LaserGlow Hercules 300mW+ Portable Laser :)  This model has the new 2.5W IR Diode however it does not have the engraving on the body.  I believe this was an early model before the etched engraving was introduced.  This will be a shorter review, however I will add to it as time permits (I'm leaving for Florida in the morning :)).  The in depth details of the unit can be found here http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?hercules

First Impression:
Wow!  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] This laser is awesome.  It takes 3 D Size batteries so you can imagine the size and weight that comes with it.  It feels extremely powerful just holding it in your hand.  It also has an AC plug adapter, so I can power it this way all day long if needed.  It is very well made, solid and the black anodized coating is perfect.  The heat sink is also very substantial.  It is 366mm long X 55 mm's in width.  

Capabilities:
Well...it does it all!  It can pop about 12 balloons lined up in a row from 20 feet away.  It lights matches like there is no tomorrow.  In fact, I have to be careful where it is pointed because anything dark colored will begin smoking immediately.  It easily lights the fuse to fireworks.  

Beam Width:
The beam is <1.5mm at the aperture and its divergence is extremely tight.  I have shot it at trees over a mile away and the diameter of the beam is still less than 12 inches wide.  It is also very visible during daytime in a room.  It scares everyone that sees it [smiley=lolk.gif]  In fact, I told my son that it can cut a human in half and cause no bleeding ;D  Easily lop off fingers like a fine surgeon ;D ;D ;D

Measured Power:
With the LaserBee I...  I measure a sustained 468mW's over at least a 5 minute period.  It will eventually settle down to the 350+mW area.  But I have only tested this after using it outside for 15 minutes then came back in and tested it again.  This is also on battery power so I suspect the D cells are losing a small amount of their juice.  The laser is rated for continuous power.  Not only does it have a huge heat sink but it has a built in fan!  The best part is the fan is nearly silent.  There are small holes around the heat sink so you can feel the air blowing out.  I forgot to mention, it also has an power adjustment screw :) It is set from the factory for optimal power vs longevity of the diode (I guess).  So I could turn it up to a higher power setting.  I have tweaked it a small amount and it does increase the power significantly!

Beam Expander X10DR:
This is a quality piece of optics.  It is custom fitted to the end of the laser using nylon tipped set screws.  It takes about 2 minutes to put it on, the fit is perfect.
Here is the link for more information http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?x10dr  It is adjusted by rotating the focusing ring at the end.  Outside at night it is amazing how you can extend the beams width and length for miles.  I was able to hit a water tower from about 5 miles away with a dot width of around 2 feet.  Of course it is hard to measure but it looked that small to me ;)  In one of the photos, you can actually see where the beam crosses itself.  More to come, because I am going to try and pop some balloons from 150 feet soon.

Total package:
The Hercules arrived in a foamed filled aluminum case.  The case has a nicely designed placard that reads exactly what is in the case.  The case has room for the Laser, Beam Expander, Keys, Grounding Plug, plus tons more...  By the way, I had the Hercules on my Tripod so I apologize for the camera shake in some of the pictures.  I'll add more details soon, its getting late and I need to pack :cool:

Picture of the Mighty Hercules w/X10DR Attached
CIMG0705.jpg

Close up of X10DR
CIMG0706.jpg

Beamshot during night with a Full Moon
CIMG0731.jpg

Another shot across the Moon
CIMG0736.jpg

Moon Beam
CIMG0742.jpg

Beam Shots without the Beam Expander
DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

Closeup
DSC00075.jpg

Short video burning matches at less than 12 inches then at about 20 feet

Video lighting a match underwater :)

Burning a hole through 20lb stock printer paper (sharpied)

:eek:
Nice!!
I'm lovin' the beamshots.

Also,
What general area of Florida are you going to? I live near Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe I'll look into the sky at the right time...

I also live near Ft. Lauderdale. With my latest acquisition, I am now head of the IR department here. :D

Lovely beamshots - the moon in the background is a nice touch.

Thanks for the comments... I'm at Pensacola Beach, my daughter and I are attending an Open House at the University of West Florida. My wife and I are graduates of the University of South Florida (Go Bulls!) so that will be our next stop :D

good god this cost an arm and a leg, not to mention the other arm too
at least it was worth it, right?

Hey WackBag....
be honest... isn't that "Moon Beam" photo the explosion
of a UFO that you shot down with your new Laser... :-? :-? :-?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jerry

lasersbee said:
Hey WackBag....
be honest... isn't that "Moon Beam" photo the explosion
of a UFO that you shot down with your new Laser... :-? :-? :-?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jerry
i was wondering the same thing actually

Razako

I have a Hercules too. Sadly I've been waiting on the x10DR for something like 4 months now as they seem to be permanently out of stock on laserglow. I payed for it in the JULY laserglow group buy and I'm still waiting :mad: As always their website says "out of stock 3-4weeks" :(

This is now officially beyond ridiculous...................... I wonder if I'll get it in time for Christmas :-/

Ace82

Nice review! You need to hold that camera still or shorten the exposure time! :p But yeah, my first thoughts were $ :eek: Keep this review updated with the long distance burning capabilities with the beam expander! Have fun for me! :D

Ace82 said:
Nice review!   You need to hold that camera still or shorten the exposure time!  :p But yeah, my first thoughts were $  :eek:  Keep this review updated with the long distance burning capabilities with the beam expander! Have fun for me!  :D
Thanks Ace and thanks for the + rep! Added some indoor Beam Shots and a short match burn video...all without the expander.  I also put the camera on a tripod so the pics are much clearer :)

I've seen your video of the match lightened underwater.....really impressive! :eek:

How did you get it? Painting the match with a waterproof transparent paint? ;)