Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserBTB

I went ahead and bought my first lasers, all of which are 532nm. An Optotronics 40mW+ pen, WickedLasers 100mW Evo, and a 500mW PL-532 from LaserBTB. I'm not really too concerned with the quality of the pen i'll get from Opto, they're an American company with a great rep and the specs seem equally great (at least on paper). I also know I won't get anything either especially good or bad from WL.

What does concern me though, is the quality of laser I'll get from LaserBTB. Looking at Optotronics RPL's, they boast specs I hadn't even considered when I paid for my PL-532 such as beam diameter and divergence. Optotronics claims their RPL's are 50% more powerful down the beam due to it being tighter (smaller diameter and divergence). Do the PL-series lasers from LaserBTB hold a candle to the RPL's in regards to beam specs? I'm not biased against LaserBTB, but they are very unspecific when listing their beam specs, so I have no clue what I should expect. For those of you who have bought recently, how have BTB's beam specs been on these? I need some reassurance that my $500 didn't go towards just a mediocre laser.

the worst divergence I have seen a dpss 532nm have is 2mrad, it is likely not that bad. 1.5mrad is the average I see, I'd bet the laserbtb units have that or close

looking at the site, it says it is <2mrad, so like I said...

that is not great divergence, but not terrible either. lots of people assume dpss 532s have great beams and divergance, but they vary. it is hard to have both a narrow beam diameter AND great divergence, optotronics attempts this. in general the two are inversly proportional

Last edited:
I doubt their 532 are much worse then any other if anything they are better then most except maybe jetlasers but they cost more or optotronics insane prices really, the general response to their lasers is usually very positive, after 5 or 6 groupbreaks it should be pretty clear they are a serious laser seller by now.

And they do list beam specs and all for their lasers for 532 it says this,

Wavelength (nm)

520 / 532

Beam Colour

Green

Transverse mode

TEM00

Range in darkness (m)

500-2000

M2 factor

<1.2

Beam divergence,full angle (mrad)

520:<10 532 :<2.0

Beam Diameter at Aperture (mm)

532:<4.0 532:<2.0

Spectral Linewidth (nm)

<0.1

Polarization Ratio

>100:1

Warm-up Time (minutes)

<0.5

Operation Temperature (℃)

10~30

Storage Temperature(℃)

-10~+50

Expected Lifetime (hours)

Laser Head Dimensions(D×L, mm)

Φ38 * 205

Cooling System

metal heatsink

Operating voltage(VDC)

1*18650 battery

Warranty time

6 months

Last edited:
I doubt their 532 are much worse then any other if anything they are better then most except maybe jetlasers but they cost more or optotronics insane prices really, the general response to their lasers is usually very positive, after 5 or 6 groupbreaks it should be pretty clear they are a serious laser seller by now.

And they do list beam specs and all for their lasers for 532 it says this....

Right, I saw that, I was just hoping for a more specific divergence number than simply <2.0mr.

This thread will tell you.

Just FYI, I found that thread by typing "how to calculate divergence" into the search bar at the bottom of the page...;)