Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser66 Build

Hi J,
No chrome single hole pens he emailed me before he shipped. So i told him the black single hole pens were fine with the gold clip i have 2 of those. I don't intend to put a led in them and the black looks evil with a good WL in it. I don't have a problem with his website it runs smooth for me.

Rich:)

Hi J,
No chrome single hole pens he emailed me before he shipped. So i told him the black single hole pens were fine with the gold clip i have 2 of those. I don't intend to put a led in them and the black looks evil with a good WL in it. I don't have a problem with his website it runs smooth for me.

Thanks, I'll email him later today.

OVNI

@lifetime17, nice laser, these are "true" pen style hosts, If only Will would reply more, i would buy all his hosts.

So, I found someone on EBAY who sells those small LEDs and I am currently looking at this 100 lot of white LEDs but the owner said I can pick 50white 25green and 25 blue, any idea if these would work? (Too big?). If you can make a schematic of where to solder and the resister I would buy the led and resister now.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171524832810&globalID=EBAY-US

Thanks,

Those eBay LEDs are 5mm. Probably (way) too big for that host. On the resistor value, it will depend on the LED color (which determines the turn-on voltage = Vf = forward voltage), the max current the LED can handle (sometimes called If = forward current), and the voltage you're feeding it. The voltage to turn on Red LEDs is on the lower side of LEDs in general at 1.65V, Blue and White LEDs, however, need around 2.5-3V. Many (most?) LEDs run at 20mA (= .020 amps) maximum. Some can go much higher, best to check the spec before you try.

Also, the LED brightness varies a lot from vendor to vendor. Typical brightness parameter is MCD. The higher the value, the brighter the LED. MCD = 5,000+ are very bright. Some advertise Ultra Bright, Super Bright, etc. If you want bright, look for that in the description.

If you drive the Red LED with 3.7V with no resistor, it'll probably burn out immediately or soon. The resistor value is calculated as:

Resistor Value in ohms = (Source Voltage - LED_Forward_Voltage) / (LED_Forward_Current in amps)

So driving a Red LED with max current of 20mA from a 3.7V battery we have:

R = (3.7-1.65)/.020 = 102.5 ohms.

Resistors don't come in every possible value so rounding to 100 ohms or 120 ohms will be fine.

As the battery gets weaker, so will the LED brightness which, if fairly noticeable, can be used as a battery charge detector.

I can give you more details if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

OVNI

Last edited:
what would you guys recommend for a duty cycle for a almost 2w pen ?

I would be happy with 15-25 seconds honestly. i feel its easier to keep a shorty duty cycle if you can only do momentary one and these flush with the host type of buttons make your thumb tired pretty quick anyway so thats good.

Probably 30secs or 25secs from what I see with thermal paste inside. In cold weather such as where I'm at, you can probably do 40sec-50sec.

I can run my 1W 520nm here 5 Min when it gets hot.

So, this happens when I try to order on his website. I'm using an mobile device right now.
Anyone els has that problem?

Thanks,

Last edited:
strange it worked when i was ordering ,his webpage is down i guess, or try another host and the driver switch.
looks like his not tacking order's anymore !!
i order 3 more and this started happening now hehe :)

Last edited:
strange it worked when i was ordering ,his webpage is down i guess, or try another host and the driver switch.
looks like his not tacking order's anymore !!
i order 3 more and this started happening now hehe :)

The first time I ordered my chrome host has the same problem. But I sent him he money via "goods and services" and included my order in the notes.

Did you use computer to order or a mobile device?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Computer / yes i have the same problem looks like the webpage is down not taking orders anymore its not processing on paypal !!!

Then try emailing Him until he replies and let him know your going to send him money via goods and services. Then send it to him and include in NOTES that you want " Chrome Pen Housing with Switch PCB $14.00

I have to do that once last time. 5 emails and 1 PayPal dispute to get him to respond and ship the pen out, (lol) just be patient.

what would you guys recommend for a duty cycle for a almost 2w pen ?

I would be happy with 15-25 seconds honestly. i feel its easier to keep a shorty duty cycle if you can only do momentary one and these flush with the host type of buttons make your thumb tired pretty quick anyway so thats good.

Hi,
For a 2W pen i would be very careful with the run time. i just built another pen yesterday using a PLTB450B set at 1.8A and when i LPMed it at 2300+ W's it heated up very fast about 20 to 25 seconds . So i decided not to use that diode in the build so i tore it down to use in a normal host with real heat sinking. This diode i used was very efficient so i didn't want to kill it in a pen host were the sinking is only the CU module. It's nice to get a freak diode once in a while so i don't chance it or push it .