Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser with 2 dots??

Denson

hey everyone, i havent been on here in a really long time, i been extremely busy, traveling for work and other stuff. i have a 150mw green laser, when i used it last it worked fine, now when i use it, it will go from 1 dot, to 2 or 3 dots in a row and be faded, i cleaned lens but from the looks of it, its coming from the laser itself, any helpful advice to fix this problem?

sounds like its mode hopping... howabout a pic:)

Last edited:

DrSid

Totally sounds like mode hopping. Assuming the battery is full and the laser still takes same amount of current from it when the light fades, it can be the crystal heating up and changing shape. Showing 3 dots is getting pretty bad, and it's no surprise it stops lasing soon. Still it might also be the battery.

Denson

ill get some pictures up when i get home, im currently at work. but ya, there is times were it wont break the dots, then times were all it does is right when i click the button it will go from 1 dot, to 2 or 3 dots 5 seconds after. but yet it still burns/stings/ ect. how can i fix the crystal shaping, or the mode changing, cause i always thought it was 1 mode, cause it just has 1 button

Hiemal

When a laser changes "modes" the way the light is output is changed. It has nothing to do with the way the laser is driven; it's just sort of an artifact of DPSS systems.

When it mode hops the way the light is output from the crystals changes... usually it's because of heat, or cold, and either way it's usually unavoidable with higher powered lasers.

My pen pointer changes modes too. It goes from TEM00 to TEM10, then back to TEM00 after it warms up.

Try looking at this thread; http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/some-facts-about-mode-hopping-28456.html

Unfortunately, it's not something that's really fixable. You could try fresh batteries.

Last edited:

Denson

that could be it, i let it sit in the winter cold for like 1 month in my truck :( forgot about it. even with fresh battery's it still does it, just not as much. but thats prob it, thank you very much

First post....... Had to get it out of my system. Oh and sounds very unstable which is more common with green lasers if im not mistaken.

JLSE

If you ever open the laser, you can back off the current a bit and it should correct..
Once this happens, a slight adjustment of output will 90% of the time fix
the problem.

:beer:

Anyone think he might get any help from CNI? That should be a pretty nice pointer...

Denson

its a awesome laser, i was just thinking from wear and the cold, cause i didnt forget it in my truck in the winter for a week or so.