Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Watch?

Hi everyone,

Im new here haha, soo im not sure if this is even possible, but i would really like to be able to build myself a laser watch, very similar in concept to those in the movie 'In Time'. Im not sure if that sounds absurd, but if not could anyone give me a step-by-step DIY manual? I have no previous experience with any sort of DIY sooo please dumb down all instructions.
If not possible, i think building a simple blue laser pointer would be a good way to spend my holiday.
A full list of equipment needed and simple directions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards,

Attachments

• 546617_453343211398081_252784119_n.jpg
    546617_453343211398081_252784119_n.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 162

Welcome to LPF Max :)

About the watch....I don't even think anything like that is possible unless you get a *special lens* to put on the laser aperture.

I think it would be possible using either a very tiny galvo or a very special and small DLP to scan the laser
in the required patterns. Shrinking all that down into a wrist band would be way beyond the capabilities of
the average hobbyist or tinkerer. And then to come up with a way to power it all from a standard watch
cell would be nothing short of a miracle. These first (and often last) post pie-in-the-sky ideas are often
annoying and repetitive, but this one is a great idea, just slightly out of the reach of modern technology.

I'm guessing you could take one of those toy projector clocks that show the time on the ceiling and put some fancy optics on it to project it on your arm.

I don't think this is out of reach of modern technology at all. But you'd need a lot of R&D cash/electronics experience to build something like that.

Tiny microcontrollers are widely available and relatively easy to program. You'd need to code the transformation to project the hour on your arm's plane, which would require quite a bit of linear algebra.

As for the battery, a "bag-style" (not sure of the correct name) lipo like those used in small RC helicopters would be OK. It could be on the "palm side" of the wristband, leaving the "back side" for the board, galvo and laser. You'd probably get 100mAh@3.7V.

I'd go for a 1mW 520nm direct diode (or a 5mW red module, if you don't mind the color). It's still expensive but those are quite small, draw little power, are bright, safe and require little to no heatsinking.

The galvo would be the only serious complication - you'd need 2 tiny motors, which could be coreless motors (also used in rc helis), those are slighlty bigger than a grain of rice. The mirrors you'd probably have to make yourself, or perhaps remove from DVD/BD sleds. It'd be hell to align either way ;)

With that setup you could probably get 30min runtime. Make it turn on for only 5-10s when you press a button and you're set for a day.

Edit: of course it would never look perfect on everyone's arms due to different shapes and sizes.

Great idea, BTW!

Last edited:

Spooky

I remember my first LED "digital watch" push the button to get the time and a battery life of about 1 hour on time.

cheers

Dave

...humm I'm gonna go see if I can find one on ebay now :)

When I read "Laser Watch" I was thinking James Bond, but I love the idea!

And rhd hit the Bond watch on the head. :)

Last edited: