Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser visibility?

First off apologies for any frustrating questions, I'm a bit new to this hobby. :yh:

So I've been looking at these two lasers, and I was pondering the brightness between them;

532nm 350 mW
www.rayfoss.com

vs

Sanwu lasers silver series, 445nm 2.5W
https://sites.google.com/site/hkfew5e22/Series/silver

Okay so the better burner is a given, obviously 2.5W blue will destroy a 350mW green easy. From what I know anyway...

Now what I'm not sure of, is brightness. I've heard a lot about how 532nm is much more sensitive to the human eye than other colors, which I don't doubt. However, the 445nm has much more power than the green one.

Which one would appear brighter?

Thanks to anyone and everyone who answers! Much appreciated. :yh:

First off apologies for any frustrating questions, I'm a bit new to this hobby. :yh:

So I've been looking at these two lasers, and I was pondering the brightness between them;

532nm 350 mW
www.rayfoss.com

vs

Sanwu lasers silver series, 445nm 2.5W
https://sites.google.com/site/hkfew5e22/Series/silver

Okay so the better burner is a given, obviously 2.5W blue will destroy a 350mW green easy. From what I know anyway...

Now what I'm not sure of, is brightness. I've heard a lot about how 532nm is much more sensitive to the human eye than other colors, which I don't doubt. However, the 445nm has much more power than the green one.

Which one would appear brighter?

Thanks to anyone and everyone who answers! Much appreciated. :yh:

Start by taking a look at this:

Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (532nm 350mw) vs. (445nm 3526.21mw)

By plugging in values into this calculator, it shows you that you would need 3526mW of 445nm to equal 350mW of 532nm for matching beam brightness.

Last edited:

Benm

Another thing that factors in is beam diameter. The 445 is probably a multimode diode with a bigger beam diameter/divergence compared to the single mode 532.

Even at equal visible power that could make the tighter green beam more visible under certain conditions, even if the projected dot onto a wall does not.

Also, brightness of certain wavelengths is somehwat variable from person to person, so you may not agree on which is brightest with (all) your friends looking at the very same side by side comparison.

to me when i had my 320mw 532nm spartan and a 2w 445nm the 445nm beam looked slightly more visible to my eyes but the 532nm spot was much brighter. strange i know but our eyes suck and determining how bright something is and when different wavelengths that vary in the visible range come close to the edge like the 405nm and the 532nm which is almost in the middle our eyes go crazy trying to figure out whats brighter.
the funny thing with me is the beam on a 1w 405nm looks just as visible as a 100mw green but according to that chart its not even close.

you just learn to love each and every wavelength for there own unique characteristics :)