Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser rifle V.2

Yikes! $450.00 for an "as is" beam expander, even if it is for a CO2 laser sounds like more questions should be asked before pulling the trigger on that one. Interesting CO2 potable build. We've seen a few of these, but they aren't that common. Nice job.

Encap

Good Job. Nice result. Looks the part--the illusion was worth the effort. (y)

Anthony P

Not $450.00

Not $450.00

Those are not made to zoom to distance, made for marking at a set distance. Maybe use the word " Adjustable " along with beam expander in your search and for co2 you will need an adjustable beam expander with ZnSe lenses as normal glass will absorb the energy and shatter.

Last edited:

Reallifelaserguns

I used 4 ZnSe plano convex lenses trying to make my own beam expander. But the amount of precision involved in making it work is very hard. Also I wonder if making a beam expander is even possible when using only plano convex lenses.

You need a concave 1st to expand your beam then a convex to focus it to it's tightest point at your target, the concave will be fixed ( stay put ) and your convex will move fore and aft to adjust your focal point.

Last edited:

Reallifelaserguns

You need a concave 1st to expand your beam then a convex to focus it to it's tightest point at your target, the concave will be fixed ( stay put ) and your convex will move fore and aft to adjust your focal point.
Thank you very much! I'll take a look into it.

jessieallen1988

My new laser rifle burning newspapers. The red point is the aiming laser. The 3rd paper is too wet to catch on fire, but as you can see dry papers catch on fire almost immediately.

Video of the laser in action:
This thing is amazing!!! I'm new to lasers & trying to learn how to build one, can I ask where you learned to make yours? & how is the beam invisible?

pjpryyde7

This thing is amazing!!! I'm new to lasers & trying to learn how to build one, can I ask where you learned to make yours? & how is the beam invisible?
Hi I’m new to the world of lasers but am
Fascinated by them. What’s the highest powered laser pointer available now. Also just a random thought is is it possible to use the laser from a laser cutter/engraver as a laser pointer

WARNING You have asked a forbidden question and you will be placed on an alphabet agency watchlist, it's also quite possible that federal agents will be descending upon you soon, do not resist, hold your hands up high and comply with all instructions....... Just kidding.....maybe.

Laser cutter/engravers are not in the visible spectrum so they will not work as " pointers "

Note that a commercial " pointer " offered for sale is limited to 5mw in the US, however many of the Chinese hand held lasers are much stronger and can cause eye damage, so a great deal of caution must be used, it's best to follow a safety protocol so as to avoid a mistake that could leave you with a lifelong disability, laser safety glasses are a must have if you intend on working with lasers over 5mw.

Photon Master

I’m fascinated by IR lasers but a little fearful of them too. I have a whole drawer of high powered green, blue, red, and violet and I’m careful to have goggles on even when changing batteries. But the invisible beam aspect of IR is crazy! I might get a low powered wide divergence for some night vision experiments.

Night vision is fun to play with as well as regular old security cams, the security cams have a little filter that clicks into and out of place when the IR illumination comes on at night, otherwise your daytime images would look pinkish, you can also remove the IR filter from a cheap pocket camera, old cellphone or a cheap web cam.

Also try an IR flashlight with zoom, it's more useful..... also you can remove the crystal and concave lens from a dpss 532nm pointer and focus the pump diode with just the final convex lens to make a cheap 808nm pointer, but be careful, they are strong enough to damage your eyes so the proper laser safety glasses, an aperture shutter or a simple slip over cap on your IR device/pointer and an ON indicator ( pilot light ) is a good idea. Safety 1st.

1692426681493.png

Last edited:

Photon Master

Thanks for the great info! I just watched the laser rifle video and I’m thinking how great that would be to have. I wonder if anyone on the forum would be able to build one for me? That might be an inappropriate request though.

I’m ridiculously obsessive about eye safety. I pop on my goggles before loading batteries in case the switch is set to “on.” I have all the different colors marked for the wavelength of laser I’m using.

I’ve heard some horror stories about people permanently messing up their vision.

Thanks again

Naw that's a build it yourself deal, if you do decide to build an invisible laser it should have an aperture shutter or output cap, an " ON " indicator light, a key switch and a separate trigger/switch is a good idea, plus if it's handheld or shouldered ( portable ) it needs a safety dongle that you can attach to a wrist strap to prevent unauthorized users from just picking it up, also a delayed start is a good safety feature.

Remember it's not just your safety but the safety of others that you need to think about.