Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser range too short?

MOZAKI

hi
i wanted to howmuch meters a good laser should have
i wanted to buy this laser from laserbtb and i saw the range was only 500 - 1000 meters???
HL 532nm 50-300
isn't that awfully extremely low!?
i thought lasers could go for miles into space
i mean a laserbeam... does it actually ends?
thanks in advance

I would say those are miles ! Lol no but actually it depends on the laser mW output , the more the brighter also focusable ones are that good for pointing like fixed ones so yea !
BTW do a bit of research :) and If you want one that can go to space I would recommend you to first read the welcome section and buy a pair of safety glasses !! Thanks !!
Laser beams don't end ! They just fade away from your vision >_< ( they fade away they don't have a start -stop line !)

Last edited:
Sketchy sites will have sketchy details. If it's a halfway decent product it will go much farther.

ARG

Like most lasers that one will have the appearance of going on forever

<---- That was taken at 1km away or so. It could've gone a lot further.

The range rating is a little low I think, but it really depends on a lot of factors.

There's a planetary boundary layer up to which your laser beam can be visible in the sky. After that there aren't as many particulates to reflect from and the beam seems to stop. How far it really goes, who knows?

MOZAKI

oh ok
but is it only me or is 500 - 1000 meters so little range?
and the blue purple 445nm only goes 200 - 500 meters?

HL 445nm 500-1000
is this normal?
im kinda new to lasers so i have no idea
but my thoughts about those ranges is very dissapointing
or is it completely normal that lasers have these kind ranges?
thanks

Coby

The ranges are not realistic. When I'm ouside with my lasers both my 445 and my 532 can hit the tower of the church in my town. And that's from a distance of 2+ KM. The blue one is hard to see but the green one is CLEARLY visisble. Also with my HL532 I've hit the clouds quite a few times and clouds are ~ 5km up high? You'll see a large green dot at the end of your beam. It's really cool to see :D

Also if you want a 445nm then I recommend letting Blord make one for you as it'll be cheaper and more powerful.

Why would you want to buy a laser with an arbitrary made up
number like range in Feet-Meters-Miles...???

In space the Laser beam would go on forever... in dirty water it
would go for maybe 3-6 inches.

Buy your laser by something that can be accurately measured
like its power output in mW or Watts.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
People who talk about "laser ranges" shouldn't be allowed to buy any laser above 5 mW of power. It's a clear sign they have no useable knowledge of physics, therefore stronger lasers in their hands become dangerous.

When you see someone selling a laser and talking about its range, you can be pretty sure he's a lying downright scoundrel who bought a cheap laser and is searching someone naive.

Keep the cussing to a minimum please.

Ped

Last edited by a moderator:

MOZAKI

its not that i have no knowledge about physics
it sounded logical to me that a laserbeam could go on forever
it was the first site that i have encountered that stated the range of a laser
and as a newb in lasers you have no clue right?
the lasers are from skylasers, wich has a pretty good reputation on this forum? (not sure)

Cel

Laser (light) travels until it is absorbed by some kind of material (body). But its visibility depends on environment and lighting.