Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser range extender?

Does anyone have any info on these? are they usefull? how to make one? where can i buy one? Thanks!

It would be helpful if you told us precisely what you're trying to do.

my guess would be to collomate the beam to make it less divergen so it would go father with a small dot

Cyparagon said:
It would be helpful if you told us precisely what you're trying to do.

Trying to extend the range of a laser.....that is the name of the post right?

roSSco

OVERWHELMED BY DETAILS!!!
willy.gif

chido

[smiley=smiley_up.gif]
 [smiley=smiley_up.gif]
LOL
Dude, give MORE details, like what kind of laser do you own, green or red, how powerful is it? :-?

i have a green 125mw viper. just want some info on range extenders, i havnt seen much on them.

tone1132, there's no such thing as laser "range", so there's no such thing as laser range extenders. I think you're talking about an upcollimator or beam expander. Google one of those terms and do some research. If you still have some questions you can't get answered on your own, come back and ask them.

When I think of "range extenders" i think of converting something to RF, sending the RF to a Rx somewhere and converting it back to the source. This appears to use 2 lenses to increase the beam diameter, in order to decrease divergence. I'm guessing you could technically get it to work as long as you had time to try the lenses in all of their infinite possibilities of distances from the LD and each other. And it would help to have something able to fine tune each of them individually, like having the lenses on little rack and pinion type setups.

desslok said:
When I think of "range extenders" i think of converting something to RF, sending the RF to a Rx somewhere and converting it back to the source. This appears to use 2 lenses to increase the beam diameter, in order to decrease divergence. I'm guessing you could technically get it to work as long as you had time to try the lenses in all of their infinite possibilities of distances from the LD and each other. And it would help to have something able to fine tune each of them individually, like having the lenses on little rack and pinion type setups.

It's not complicated at all. One negative focal length lens one positive focal length lens. This is known as a Galilean beam expander. Adjust the positive lenses distance from the negative lens until the beam is optimally collimated. It takes only moments.