Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser power

rooster9119

I am looking for a true 3 watt laser. I have a LaserBee AX and have tested my lasers. A blue gatling laser that was advertised at 5 watts turns out to be 1.3 watts. One I got from everyonetobuy was listed at 5 Watts. Turns out to be 60wM. Looks like the Chinese lie about everything concerning lasers. Anywhere I can shop that would tell the truth about their lasers?

rooster9119

These Chinese guys are all liars. Buy yourself a LaserBee AX which measures laser output. Don't believe a word printed on the Chinese web sites. The gatlin blue laser I have measures 1.3 watts and will burn you in around 2-3 seconds. It was advertised on the Chinese web as 5 watt. Bought one off Amazon for 69 dollars that measures 1.3 watts. The other I bought from a Chinese company that claim 5 watts turned out to be 60mW.

rooster9119

I am looking for a true 3 watt laser. I have a LaserBee AX and have tested my lasers. A blue gatling laser that was advertised at 5 watts turns out to be 1.3 watts. One I got from everyonetobuy was listed at 5 Watts. Turns out to be 60wM. Looks like the Chinese lie about everything concerning lasers. Anywhere I can shop that would tell the truth about their lasers?
These are not laser pointers which is what the Chinese are lying about. These are modules designed for etching and engraving and are not portable because of the power supply problem. This could be solved but my concern is the way everyone is getting conned regarding pointer power that the Chinese claim.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That thread that diachi linked is reputable, the companies listed as good are very respected Chinese companies that members on LPF have been dealing with for years.

Jetlasers and Sanwu are about as good as it gets when buying a Chinese made laser. Their posted output power is accurate, and in many cases, the delivered laser is more powerful than advertised.

rooster9119

Are any of you guys measuring the output yourself or just taking their word for it?

rooster9119

I just looked at Sanwu and their telling the same lies. Try measuring your output yourself and you may be surprised. The LaserBee AX is $179.00 with shipping and will tell the real story.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I measure my laser's output myself as do many of us with LPM's.
I have three different Ophir based LPM's that I can use for verification.

rooster9119

If you have a laser that measures 5 watts, tell me where and I'll buy one right now.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
The J/L lasers that I have know are Ti-B's and PL-E mini's that are lower powered units.
I'm sure someone with a high powered Sanwu or J/L will chime in with their readings.

I don't know why you're obsessed with 5W output, when in your first post you say you want a 3W laser.
You certainly didn't get that POS Gatling at any reputable seller anyway.

BTW, the Laserbee LPM's that you mention are a great product which many of us use here.

WELCOME newcomer.
always nice to read a swelll introduction like yours.. we appreciate the respect you have shown us.

thanks for the heads up--we just trusted ALL the china sellers== now we know!! whew!!

you forgot your spoon btw.

ALSO keep ignoring our 'rules' about double posting... you don't need to worry about that..

Last edited:
Been busy today, so I missed out on this earlier. Many members here have more than one laser power meter and measure the power of all of our lasers. If the OP is interested in buying a true 5 watt laser he should also know that the laser diodes that can output that much power are multi-mode diodes with horrible divergence problems. Unless you get one with corrective optics, which will add a lot to the price, expect to see a line on your beam stop. Not a dot. If you are incapable of building your own, I would contact a member here to build one for you.

Ken Hudd

Great question! Questions like this needs to be asked over and over. A good quality product that has true ratings draws a lot of amazed interests. People have been literally shocked at my survival 2.2w build! We need far more people in this hobby, it will benefit all of us.