Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Power Meter Question - (Hyperion Argentum)

MurphyMurph

This weekend I finally purchased an LPM (the Hyperion Argentum to be specific).
I feel like this is pretty much a noob question, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for as there was little documentation on this meter, other than the thread from astralist in 2016.

My question is, is there a standard distance from the sensor for all measurements? A recent post Review of the LaserBee AX Laser Power Meter (LPM) says that “For consistent readings, make sure that all measurements are taken at the same distance between the sensor and the laser being tested. (3" {7.60cm} to 1' {30.50cm}) and that the entire laser beam falls on the sensor..” Does the same standard go for all Laser Power Meters?

The reason I’m asking this is because while testing, for example, the NUBM07 with a G-8 Lens (at about 6” from the sensor, and the projected “bar” being the same size of the the sensor “not pinpointed”, the sensor began to produce smoke. This was just after maybe 10 seconds with the the display measuring around 2000mw. I was cooling the rear part of the heatsink with a small 40mm fan in-between readings, to prevent overheating. However I didn’t want to continue pushing it or even progress up to anything more powerful, before I knew if this is normal.

Giannis_TDM

This weekend I finally purchased an LPM (the Hyperion Argentum to be specific).
I feel like this is pretty much a noob question, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for as there was little documentation on this meter, other than the thread from astralist in 2016.

My question is, is there a standard distance from the sensor for all measurements? A recent post Review of the LaserBee AX Laser Power Meter (LPM) says that “For consistent readings, make sure that all measurements are taken at the same distance between the sensor and the laser being tested. (3" {7.60cm} to 1' {30.50cm}) and that the entire laser beam falls on the sensor..” Does the same standard go for all Laser Power Meters?

The reason I’m asking this is because while testing, for example, the NUBM07 with a G-8 Lens (at about 6” from the sensor, and the projected “bar” being the same size of the the sensor “not pinpointed”, the sensor began to produce smoke. This was just after maybe 10 seconds with the the display measuring around 2000mw. I was cooling the rear part of the heatsink with a small 40mm fan in-between readings, to prevent overheating. However I didn’t want to continue pushing it or even progress up to anything more powerful, before I knew if this is normal.
Did you at any point before testing the lasers touch the sensor/ have liquid spill on it? because the coating on the sensor should be able to withstand that with ease since you did the right thing and also for how long did you hold the laser onto the sensor? Cause it should take around 15-sec max to get a reading.

MurphyMurph

No I didn't touch it, I was very careful not to.
Upon closer inspection, it seemed that the adhesive surrounding the sensor may have been what produced the smoke.20200511_112516.jpg

I am also curious, if anyone who has owned this LPM, knows of any software compatible with it. I have attempted to install vritonuzz on windows 7 and 10 but so far haven't had any luck with it working. I'm thinking I may need a system running xp for it to work.

Giannis_TDM

No I didn't touch it, I was very careful not to.
Upon closer inspection, it seemed that the adhesive surrounding the sensor may have been what produced the smoke.View attachment 68806

I am also curious, if anyone who has owned this LPM, knows of any software compatible with it. I have attempted to install vritonuzz on windows 7 and 10 but so far haven't had any luck with it working. I'm thinking I may need a system running xp for it to work.
Yep 100% positive the adhesive was smoking also try running it in compatibility mode for win xp/vista.

Other than the additional IR heat from the Laser host if the Laser
is too close to the Thermopile Sensor.... as long as all of the Laser's
beam falls onto the sensor the distance to the sensor should not
matter.

Of course if there are particles in the air (smoke/dust) the distance
can/could make a difference.

Jerry