Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser power conversion needed...

Hi. I am using a light meter with a sensor head that can detect from 200 to 1000nm wavelength. However, the meter has a unit of mW/cm2. The laser that I am trying to measure is around 5mW with the beam diameter of a bout 3/4 to 1mm. Do I just multiply the display power (mW/cm2) with the cross sectional area of the laser beam? This is strange because the reading from the meter is "nearly" correct but in mW/cm2; i.e. meter read 4.7mW/cm2. Please advice. Thanks.

Yup, that sounds right.

The "gold" unit I am using has a known power of 3.5mW. The meter I am using reads around 3.47mW/cm2. If I multiply 3.47mW/cm2 by the diameter of the laser beam (1mm = 0.1cm = 0.01cm2), the new/converted laser reading would be 3.47 * .01 = .0347mW.

This is not correct. Please advise. Thanks.

ARG

The math looks correct. I'm going to take a guess that your reading is off? Have you tried expanding the beam on the sensor?

What meter are you using? Most that come with a power density feature can also do regular power measurements.

The math looks correct. I'm going to take a guess that your reading is off? Have you tried expanding the beam on the sensor?

What meter are you using? Most that come with a power density feature can also do regular power measurements.

I am using the ILT 1400-A with the SED (SEL) 033 silicon detector (head). The laser beam is fixed. Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
Your device is meant for lighting intensity, and isn't directly translatable to total power. You're going to need the sensor area, the laser's wavelenth, and this table. What does the meter read with the known laser?

Be aware the sensor is only rated for 11mW max at 980nm, and 6mW max at 650nm.

Your device is meant for lighting intensity, and isn't directly translatable to total power. You're going to need the sensor area, the laser's wavelenth, and this table. What does the meter read with the known laser?

Be aware the sensor is only rated for 11mW max at 980nm, and 6mW max at 650nm.

Hi. My laser specs: 635nm at desired power of 5mW. As stated previously, when I shine my (known gold) laser at the sensor head, the ILT-1400-a reads 3.47mW/cm2.