Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Pointer Recomendation

BugOutBob

I really hate being one of "those" guys, but here I go...

I've poured over this forum, read multiple newbie FAQs, digging through some defunct company websites, etc., but I haven't found my answers. I am looking for a green laser pointer and in my past research, through this forum and whatnot, I picked up a Laserglow Anser. This is a great laser pointer but holy cow its way too bright for my application. I'm just using this to point at things on a tabletop for D&D sessions, but it blinds everyone just being pointed at the table.

Looking further into things, it looks like maybe the 1mw Lyria might be the way to go, but I don't want to drop more money for this occasional usage without knowing it will not be so blinding. I've emailed Laserglow twice and disappointingly never received an answer about just how much difference it would make.

Why not just do a red laser you ask? I like green... I might even be ok with blue/purple if it was visable enough. I just know that laser pointers can be dangerous and I want to be safe for myself and everyone around me.

My last request would be if a cheaper option existed. I found a laser pointer trio on newegg (red, green, purple) that was much cheaper, $15, surely made in china and of questionable realiabilty and safety. Ideally I don't want to drop another $50, but I really value my eyes and if the 1mw green would do the trick and laserglow would be the safe way to go, so be it.

So here I am asking the experts to guide me to a safe, reliable and maybe cheaper solution. Hit me...

BugOutBob

I hadn't thought of that... Would that cause much diffusion? Any reccomentation on how to secure it without making it look crappy?

gazer101

As long as the wrap is perfectly non-wrinkled, the beam quality should be the same after passing through it (same with tinted glass)

If you want to make it look good though, it might be better to dismantle the front of the laser (if possible), insert the wrap (or tinted glass from cheapo sunglasses for instance), then reassemble it again

amars22

An alternative to saran wrap would be a piece of Lee density filter. The Zircon series is made for high power LEDs, I have used it with flashlights to balance CCT's. It would probably work fairly well for a laser. Any neutral density filter would work, in fact.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
ND filters are the best option. Even wicked lasers shipped out ND filters for their lasers. They were called safety lens caps.

Encap

ND filter would be a way to go if you have no trouble fashioning one to fit inside the 13mm OD Anser lens housing, and installing it if there is room for it.
An optical glass ND filter would be a best choice if you can find small diameter round filters that cost less than a Lyra.

A <1mW 532nm Laserglow Lyra dot would be less than 1/2 the visual brightness of your Anser, if that works for you, if not you can always return it.

Last edited:

BugOutBob

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions guys! (And being friendly to a newb and his questions.) I went to attempt to see how I could take apart my Anser and it's been so long since I've used it (no in person gaming with COVID), that I've misplaced it. 🤦‍♂️ Looks like I might be buying new anyway. But really, thank you all!

fyi
lower powers are not always cheaper. A TRUE 5mW 532 penpointer made to be used to calibrate lasers and LPMs --it cost $140. -it is exactly 4.99 mW..

not really sure I understand what you want..
also 405 (purple) only looks harmless-- they burn faster than the very 'bright' 532 for same price. Worst possible laser for kids to 'play with'' NO DO
good luck-- I think you will need it---hak