Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser pointer newbie -- few questions.

kmac11

I've been reading around these forums for a bit, but still know nothing compared to must of you guys. I just received my first laser pointer from Ledshoppe. It's supposedly 50 mw but I'm not so sureas I can't see the beam, not even in pitch black. My questions are:

1. Is there supposed to be a beam and maybe I just got a crappy version.
2. After opening it I just stuck in the generic brand alkaline batteries that came with it. Maybe I need stronger batteries.
3. One of the batteries seems to be stuck. I dropped them both in the tube, and the one further from the opening is stuck; I see no way of getting it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

well if the laser is Red(you didn't mention the color but I assume red as all greens are easy to see) the beam even in the dark will not be easy to see. you normally need smoke/fog, hell even rain works.

As far as the power, there isn't an easy way to test the power that I know of. Can you focus the laser? if so you should be able to test it by trying to burn plastic or pop ballons. Other then that you need a power meter, which alot of forums members have but being new here I don't know how you would feel about mailing off your first new laser to have it tested.

m60gunner29 said:
can you link to the place where you bought it? that would give all the specs probably

He bought it from LedShoppe. I thought all they sold were greenies.

I would try again with better batteries.. The ones that come with chinese devices are often useless.

If it's a green laser over 10mW or so, you should clearly see the beam in the dark. If it's red though, you probably won't see any beam until 100mW unless you look directly down the beam or fill the air with smoke.

There is no such thing as a laser where you can see the beam. It depends on how dusty your house is.

But generally speaking you should easily be able to see the beam in pitch black. You can try to put some new batteries but I think you may have gotten a dud.

My LEDShoppe 50mW is doing 60mW last I checked and I'm just using alkalines. But I remember that the batteries it came with were good for a week or so.

50mW aint enough to burn things but it should look very bright on the wall. So try not to look at it directly.

-Tony

Everybody, its green.
You should be able to see the beam.
It is most likely faulty, ask for an RMA.
for the stuck battery, i've noticed its a tight on mine too, try hitting it against the palm of your hand, usually works for me.

Xplorer877 said:
There is no such thing as a laser where you can see the beam.

Not true. A powerful enough laser beam could ionize the air, causing its own light, or an ultraviolet enough laser beam could fluoresce the air. There's also a lot of water vapor in air by default, even if you filter all the dust out of the area you'll still see the beam, air isn't completely transparent.

fibro

I have a 1550nm diode. Can you make a 1550nm laser burner? :-/ I don't have all the specs on the Diode. I have a 10Db laser transmitter. It is used for transmitting RF {radio frequency} into light.

fibro said:
I have a 1550nm diode. Can you make a 1550nm laser burner? :-/ I don't have all the specs on the Diode. I have a 10Db laser transmitter. It is used for transmitting RF {radio frequency} into light.

You could but if it's just for data transmission it's probably not very powerful. It would also be invisible.

pseudolobster said:
[quote author=Xplorer877 link=1236807612/0#5 date=1237024290]There is no such thing as a laser where you can see the beam.

Not true. A powerful enough laser beam could ionize the air, causing its own light, or an ultraviolet enough laser beam could fluoresce the air. There's also a lot of water vapor in air by default, even if you filter all the dust out of the area you'll still see the beam, air isn't completely transparent.[/quote]

Ok but that still relys on the fact that there is material in the air to diffuse, ionize, or fluoresce the beam. My point was in a perfect vacuum EM waves will not scatter outside of their projection. The Star Wars interpretation on a visible slow moving light ray through the vacuum of space is science fiction.

But in all piratical senses, yes the more powerful a laser is, of a visible wavelength, them more "beam like effect" your eyes will perceive in standard atmospheric conditions.

-Professor Tony

kmac11 said:
I've been reading around these forums for a bit, but still know nothing compared to must of you guys. I just received my first laser pointer from Ledshoppe. It's supposedly 50 mw but I'm not so sureas I can't see the beam, not even in pitch black. My questions are:

1. Is there supposed to be a beam and maybe I just got a crappy version.
2. After opening it I just stuck in the generic brand alkaline batteries that came with it. Maybe I need stronger batteries.
3. One of the batteries seems to be stuck. I dropped them both in the tube, and the one further from the opening is stuck; I see no way of getting it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This is where he bought it: http://www.ledshoppe.com/gl.htm

You could guess the power of a red laser by distance. How far can you see the dot? It's not the best method but it gives some idea. You should be able to see the dot at night pretty far.

The beam can only be seen as mentioned if there is material in the air or your laser is extremely high powered even then only at night usually.

As for the battery can't you remove the top as well? Remove the top and use a pin or pencil to push out the battery. If you can't move the top
my next next idea would be to gently tap the side.

What you should really do is look at the buy/sell section here and you can find something around the same price that's far superior to the Chinese stuff.

Wait you bought a green and can't see the dot? Try changing the batteries if that doesn't work return it (if you can). I highly recommend getting a laser here. If you have a tight budget Dx extreme is better and even kaidoman's has a working laser that is bright enough to start.

sorry to here that but yes you should see the beam at 50 mW why the battery is stuck i don't no but don't be afraid to be a little tough best of luck