Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser pointer "infiniter 2000" also DPSS?

Hi at all, I just registered because I found this very nice forum while searching for more infos about green laser pointers.

I wanted to have one for presentations, especially because I like the fact that a DPSS laser is realized as a handheld device. I used to work with 10W@532 nm at work and for me it is much more fun thinking about pumping, lasing and frequency doubling instead of thinking about a single laser diode that directly emits the desired radiation.

Because I recently had some strange experiences with those noname-products sold for a few dollar in the web, I just bought this model from amazon:

INFINITER Green Laser Pointer #2000 - Quarton Laser Diode Module, Laser Pointer, Laser Level, Laser Sight, Laser Tool

I just got it today, however since the power output is just so stable and does not show fluctuations or some time delay for powering up, I was wondering if this is still a (higher quality) DPSS pointer, or already "just" a green diode. :undecided:...it is also a bit weaker than some cheap devices that might not have a real output control at all...

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Blord

It is a green DPSS penlaser. The wavelength is 532nm. The price of a bare green diode is still couple of hundred dollars.

You got an amazing 10W 532nm laser. Any picture of it ?

And welcome to the LPF forum. :)

ok, great, thank you so much! :beer:
Did not now how far the green diodes have been developed so far.

No pictures, sorry. It was a Nd:YAG that pumped a Ti:Sa, that means very low noise and high mode quality. There are mostly used in optical labs and a bit bulky to play around. This is way I checked for pointers now, as long as they are sold as DPSS.

Generally with diodes, they're advertised in intervals of five (405, 445, 450, 510, 515, 520, 525, 530, 635, 640, 650, 660)
Granted, there are some exceptions such as attempts to mimic 473nm DPSS and 488nm ArIon, some companies say 447nm and 638nm when really they're the same diode as the others advertised in the intervals of 5nm.

It's a shame you don't have pictures of the 10W 532nm, I think that would be amazing.

You can definitely tell the difference between a DPSS laser and a direct injection diode if you expand the beam and aim it at a wall. I use the eyepiece from my telescope to do it if the laser doesn't have its own focus adjuster, it works well. The DPSS beam is usually a circle, or it may change shape over time (i.e. mode hop... my SkyLaser 532nm does this a lot, it's interesting... but is subtle enough that you might never notice it when focused at infinity). The 520nm direct diode has the usual "stripe" / rectangular diode beam profile, it doesn't resemble a DPSS beam at all.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Since you were asking about those 10W Systems, they were lasers used for pumping Ti:Sa shortpulse lasers in scientific applications. "Coherent Verdi" or "spectra physics millenia" are common families of those lasers with lots of pictures in the web. Since the requirements of the beam quality are very high (mode profile, noise, pointing stability etc) they are just incredible expensive but not THAT spectacular. Paper burns, skin hurts (a lot) and even a reflection might blind you forever, thats all. There might be lasers for industry that are much cheaper and still more "fancy".

Measured my pointers now. The cheap one has a very unstable output power, however after several attempts to "warm him up" he emits up to 18 mW.
Might explain why the first one stopped working after a few tests, there is no sufficient power regulation. It destroys the module quite fast, or at least its alignment, since the red light output still indicated a working pump-Diode.

The one mentioned above (50 bucks at amazon) has 3.5 mW.

Both are labeled with less than 5 mW, I guess the "infiniter" will last much longer.

cu,

C.

Last edited:
Higher end DPSS pointers actually can incorporate optical feedback, which may be a factor in why one module is much more stable than the other. Generally more expensive too, but IMO completely worth it when you are planning on using it as a pointer for an audience.

yes, of course, that's why I bought the 2nd one, this "infiniter" (and registered the forum afterwards). It works good and has no fluctuations at all, weak but long lasting. Although I might have gotten 10 pieces of the cheap ones for this price...:crackup: