Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Output power and safety

honeyx

On ebay all laserpointers above 5mW are banned, but if you look at the pics in the offer, there is a laserbeam lightening a match. So this is a typical trick saying it´s just a 5mW laser whereas the pictures are telling the real truth.

So well, just in case you want to get rid of this laser, and get the Optronics one insteed, you could send it to me. I could LPM it for you and pay you a fair price for it. Just I´m living in germany and do not need the charger. So if you are interested, drop me a PM.

Here is another one directly from UK. So also no problem with customs.
http://odicforce.com/shop/article_OFL382/Premium-5mW-%28532nm%29-Green-Laser-Pen-With-LED-Indicator-and-Safety-Keyswitch.html?sessid=2sWL0xGW4K9S5TpsXGirJkn4kjKXmUlPVLS5VWKIjERsFWCG5dc1ZrEAn46XOqXL&shop_param=cid%3D36%26aid%3DOFL382%26

Last edited:

Hi, I think I would keep it because It has a tough design (unlike those skinny cheaper ones) and I do like it! Although maybe I will get that safe 5mw one you sent.

honeyx I would send it to you for a LPM test, only the postage to Germany more than to the UK :)

I will probably buy about 4 pairs of these goggles:
Red Safety Glasses 190nm-540nm Blue Green Laser Pointer Eye Protection Goggles | eBay

They do not filer IR, that's the only problem...
I guess it wouldn't work to take the goggle lens and sticking it to the laser diode?

Antharak, thanks for that, I will now keep an eye on my charger.

Thanks all

honeyx

No problem :)

For me it was also the host I was interested in. The only way to reduce the power would be to disassemble it and to reduce the current draw.

Else keep it as it is, but threat it like it would be a weapon. Don´t shine it at plains nor at people and care about their reactions too. There are enough stories all over the forum about this like some getting frightened when seeing a laserbeam. Others becoming agressive or calling the police and telling them you tried to blind them. But also about the ones whom you want to demonstrate it, as they can try to take the laser out of your hands and thats the point where most accidents happen.

So as long you care about this all, all should be fine :)

Spooky

From memory Gil Curry plastics do several types of sheet that filter different wavelengths...

Cheap as chips too, (about £3 for an A4 piece 3mm thick)

Guy, your just up the road from me (I'm in Salisbury) Maplins do a 5Mw green for about 15 quid.

There are no specific laws on owning laser pointers of any power I guess you could call the 7.5Kw IR laser i'm sat next to "a pointer" if you took off the safety shielding and could pick up a 16 ton machine ;) but anything over *I believe* class 2 is restricted from use anywhere "The public could come into contact with direct or scattered laser light" but that's health and safety,
The HPA position is "HPA QUOTE - After seeking advice from NRPB (now the Radiation Protection Division of the HPA) the then Department of Trade and Industry urged Trading Standards Authorities to use their existing powers under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 to remove laser pointers of a Class higher than Class 2 (as defined in the British Standard) from the general market. Such devices are too powerful for general use as laser pointers and present an unacceptable risk in the hands of the consumer because they may cause eye injury in normal reasonably foreseeable use."

In effect, a powerful laser in a public place *could* be treated in much the same way as a knife or other offensive weapon. The burden of proof for "lawful reason" lays with the holder and not the police.

Currently the firearms acts (the instrument that covers most weapons) defines electricity and gas as a "noxious substance" but no such classification exists for "Light"

My take on it? if you have a good reason to have or posses it then you *should* be ok :)

cheers

Dave

Spooky

If I focus it so the beam/dot is has a wider diameter would that make it less harmful?

The damage caused by lasing radiation is a product of wavelength and power density. ERP confides damage (power per sq mm or Effective Radiated Power)
40 watts of IR over a 25cm spot is going to get warm, 40 watts over a 0.15mm spot is going to cut holes in stuff.

cheers

Dave

50 and 150mW OMG! Its advertised at <2Mw!

ASTRONOMY MILITARY 532NM Adjustable Focus BURNING Green Laser Pointer No.304# | eBay

It's sold by a guy called 'laserbest2012'

and at 100mw that would be illegal I think...

I was expecting something like 30Mw because I heard they can pop balloons.
PS It only pops dark colored balloons.

Cheers Spooky :D

I just bit the bullet and bought this one to test..

G304 A 532nm Adjustable Focus Green Laser Pointer Laser Torch PEN 5 Miles Range | eBay

It is the same Laser that you bought but without the
Battery. Same identical specs.
I'll meter it when it gets here and post the results.

Jerry

lasersbee great idea to test it with a LPM!
If its above 5 then I recommend reporting the seller.

As it can't light a match its probably near 50mw. I look forward to seeing the results!

Thanks Jerry

it is IMPOSSIBLE to report all the sellers on fleabay who sell over spec lasers......that would mean reporting every laser seller! i got a green laser pen for a gift and it popped balloons. if you want to report every fleabay seller then go for it but without proof of every seller selling over spec lasers, nothing will change

That's very true.

I don't mind having a powerful laser, its the fact that they sold it as <2mw and promised it would be less than 5mw!

That could cause many accidents if people have a monster laser when they think its just a 2mw

honeyx

If this is really pushed Ebay will just ban the sale of all lasers.

They will not, as they would have already done it. Ebay and Paypal sill wouldn´t care about the power because a limitation reduces their profit.

They just limited it to laserpointers because there was some pressure from all the countries where stronger lasers are not allowed or whished to be imported. So as long they are labeled to be less than 5mW, they will not care about the real output. Beside this I don´t belive someone who got a stronger laser than ordered will make a dispute at paypal or write negative feedback on ebay.

Interesting thread which easily demonstrates even a 35mW laser can be dengerous. All depending to power density and absorbtion.

I read that post. Very interesting

So is it possible that the label that they said was 'accidentally put on' saying <200mw was correct and he said it was a mistake to prevent bad feedback.

They will not, as they would have already done it. Ebay and Paypal sill wouldn´t care about the power because a limitation reduces their profit.

Sorry bad wording.
What I meant by really pushed, is media involvement etc.