Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Novice Please help!

ben1

Greetings to all, My name is Ben - I'm new to this forum and am interested in buying my first laser pointer.

Originally I was looking for an affordable but decent quality Green laser at around 150-200mW

After some research I found the SF501B 445nm Blue Laser by Sci-Fi Lasers which I'm sure many of you will be familiar with. (£75 with shipping)

I want my laser to be visible for a long distance - able to point out individual stars at night. I know I medium powered Green laser would be perfect for this however the quality, high power and price of the SF501B 445nm Blue Laser make it a very tempting choice!

Astronomy is not the only purpose for my laser, I'm sure I will also enjoy trying to burn various objects so a high power is an advantage!

My main concern with the SF501B 445nm Blue is that the beam will spread out a lot more than a less powerful green one, is this correct? For me the less the beam spreads out the better- (I think that means a laser with a low divergence?)

Any help choosing a laser would be much appreciated! I live in the UK but don't mind international shipping. my budget is £100 so roughly $150

Ben

Welcome to LPF, the blue laser is too powerful for star pointing and generally shouldn't be pointed in the sky. Get a low power green 532nm for that, something around 50mW. Then get a blue 445nm for something impressive that will burn stuff and light matches and pop balloons.

Alan